Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

New level of interfering items in quest for beach gold

Posted by Silver master 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
New level of interfering items in quest for beach gold
May 23, 2015 08:10PM
I know everyone has bound to have noticed our recent generations with body art and piercings.
Well the ornaments they use along with piecing are made from alloys of who knows what but they've been lost everywhere in beach areas.
As if we didn't already have enough distractions in our quest for gold
Re: New level of interfering items in quest for beach gold
May 23, 2015 08:20PM
Try the Bigfoot coil on the V3i and maybe you can avoid in the 3rd Frequency using Tom Slicks Program?
May 23, 2015 08:45PM
Harold,ILL. Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Try the Bigfoot coil on the V3i and maybe you can
> avoid in the 3rd Frequency using Tom Slicks
> Program?

I've been using a combo that's produced well in the past
Sef 10 x 12 the white one
I do use the v3i in the higher frequency on beach but this new "hardware" that's now in the mix of assorted items to avoid is overwhelming.
Last trip down here and I only found a few pieces of this stuff so it wasn't a problem but this time I've detected 2 mornings and already found 50 or more pcs of it.
This stuff is unlike pull tabs as it gives good clean reports and signatures on graphs.
I ain't givin in yet gonna fool around with testing a while but this stuff is gonna be a bear if we can even figure a way around
May 23, 2015 09:10PM
Hope some turn out to at least be the real thing for ya. That's a lot of scoop time and would say they are easy to fall though most scoops.
May 23, 2015 09:31PM
Tom41 Wrote:
> Hope some turn out to at least be the real thing
> for ya. That's a lot of scoop time and would say
> they are easy to fall though most scoops.

The small pins with beads do get thru scoup holes and then you're chasing them.
Some of these are quite large many as large as big rings.
It may be the area I've been searching since they have the big " the Hangout" bash near here.
Some of these items in question appear to be gold but aren't marked and I believe it's a heavy plateing
May 24, 2015 02:05PM
Don't water or beach hunt anymore but articles that fall thru your scoop can be maddening...Just the way it is and well in your situation almost have to dig all.
Those small pieces of foil certainly were a pain....and now seems you have additional problems....
May 24, 2015 02:56PM
Dig/check everything but iron and a shalliw bottle cap. The xcals do this very well. They can get gold from .3 grams and up.... meat and potatoes.... im ok skipping the rest by covering more beach. I check a lot of targets and do a lot digging.... but its not PI digging. You are digging high percentage targets. A good many of those piercings are made of surgical SS.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/30/2015 10:26AM by dewcon4414.
May 24, 2015 03:25PM
The problem is recovery. Previous "junk" included ferrous (can be discriminated) and pull tabs (easy to scoop up) and foil (small bits are not usually detected and big wads scoop OK.

This new stuff falls through the holes of a wet sand scoop and you have a problem. Probably a floating screen type seperator is worth a try. If you're not in the water, a pinpointer can domthe trick and in dry sand you want a fine screen anyway so as to not miss micro jewelry(unless your machine can't see it anyway).

Rick Kempf
Gold Canyon AZ- where there is no gold
May 24, 2015 07:14PM
dewcon4414 Wrote:
> Dig/check everything but iron and a shalliw bottle
> cap. The xcals do this very well. They can get
> gold from .3 grams and up.... meat and
> potatoes.... im ok skipping the rest by covering
> more beach. I check a lot of targets and do a lot
> digging.... but its kot PI digging. You are
> digging high percentage targets.

I do the same with the Sov GT. In the water those, I see where those little piercing things would be a pain!! (Pun intended!)
May 25, 2015 01:13AM
No gold found in Alabama yet!
Tommorrow is another day got to get up before crowds hit beach
Early bird may get worms but that ain't gold
May 25, 2015 09:08PM
Day 3 and still no gold in Alabama
I got a box full of piercing atrobutes and several junk / costume jewelry rings and about 10 nickles
Beaches are crowded after 10 am but should be less crowded after today.
Quest for gold continues!
May 26, 2015 01:00PM
Anyone got any tips on shoes to wear on beach while detecting?
May 26, 2015 03:19PM
IN the water....... 6.5 mm hard bottom MARES dive boots. I prefer the heavier MM because the materal handles the puling and tunging longer
May 26, 2015 06:57PM
Any of the neoprene divers boots work well and last long. Just wash in soapy water and dry well after each use or will smell bad after a day in saltwater, maybe not so bad in freshwater. As far as the smaller items in your scoop, I use two rare earth magnets. One on the inside back of the scoop, and one on the outside to stick to the one on the inside. One will not stick well to a good stainless steel, not magnetic enough. I use N45 rare earth magnets. Very strong. Be careful when handling. They will crush a finger if it gets caught between them.. Just place first magnet on inside of scoop where you want it, then get second magnet close to back of scoop and let it drop from above. It will stick like you will not believe. These magnets can be bought on E-Bay in packs of different numbers and sizes. I got four N45 magnets size 2"x3" one inch thick. The N45 represents their strength of magnetizim. Lower numbers equal lower strength. The N45 is 750 pounds of pull. Stronger than I ever imagined. Once it sticks to something you can not pull it off. You have to slide it off. In your scoop the magnet will suck up any small magnetic items including piercings and heavy gold plated items. Great way to check if that gold item is real or not. Any magnetism at all and it is not gold. Small, barely magnetic items stick to it as well but come off easy. You just have to remember to check inside and outside the scoop on the magnets anytime a signal disappears. Probably a magnetic item stuck to your scoop. Simply slide it off of the magnet and put in your trash pouch. If you are chasing an item that keeps going through you scoop, then get excited because it is not magnetic. I use a sunspot scoop with the small holes in the tip and the back of the scoop and rarely chase a small item since going with the rare earth magnets. Mine cost around $35. Well worth the cost in my opinion. Hope this helps...Stuart
May 26, 2015 08:50PM
search and recovery Wrote:
> Any of the neoprene divers boots work well and
> last long. Just wash in soapy water and dry well
> after each use or will smell bad after a day in
> saltwater, maybe not so bad in freshwater. As far
> as the smaller items in your scoop, I use two rare
> earth magnets. One on the inside back of the
> scoop, and one on the outside to stick to the one
> on the inside. One will not stick well to a good
> stainless steel, not magnetic enough. I use N45
> rare earth magnets. Very strong. Be careful when
> handling. They will crush a finger if it gets
> caught between them.. Just place first magnet on
> inside of scoop where you want it, then get second
> magnet close to back of scoop and let it drop from
> above. It will stick like you will not believe.
> These magnets can be bought on E-Bay in packs of
> different numbers and sizes. I got four N45
> magnets size 2"x3" one inch thick. The N45
> represents their strength of magnetizim. Lower
> numbers equal lower strength. The N45 is 750
> pounds of pull. Stronger than I ever imagined.
> Once it sticks to something you can not pull it
> off. You have to slide it off. In your scoop the
> magnet will suck up any small magnetic items
> including piercings and heavy gold plated items.
> Great way to check if that gold item is real or
> not. Any magnetism at all and it is not gold.
> Small, barely magnetic items stick to it as well
> but come off easy. You just have to remember to
> check inside and outside the scoop on the magnets
> anytime a signal disappears. Probably a magnetic
> item stuck to your scoop. Simply slide it off of
> the magnet and put in your trash pouch. If you are
> chasing an item that keeps going through you
> scoop, then get excited because it is not
> magnetic. I use a sunspot scoop with the small
> holes in the tip and the back of the scoop and
> rarely chase a small item since going with the
> rare earth magnets. Mine cost around $35. Well
> worth the cost in my opinion. Hope this
> helps...Stuart

Thanks
I never thought about a magnet
May 27, 2015 12:06AM
Those rare earth magnets are crazy strong....I believe Tom D. had to get pulled off the side of his vehicle by onlookers. Memory serves me, he had the RE magnet in his back pocket and it stuck to the vehicles body.....HELP guys I'm stuck to my truck and I can't get off....... Like to have seen that. lol.
May 27, 2015 12:45AM
LOL!! That was funny Ozzie! I believe the one he had was quite a bit bigger than what I use, but the strength is the same. I REPEAT! NOT A Toy! Really great in a water or sand scoop though. And please do not get stuck to any large metal objects, they leave a terrible scratch on metal.
May 27, 2015 11:54AM
DONT get your finger between one and metal either. Ive really not found a need for a magnet unless you are using a PI....... other than iron they arent a lot of help. I went thru a pair of regular dive boots ever 4 months because the scoop really wears them. The hard bottoms solved that. Smell wise...... the heavier ones are a 1000 times better. Not as much salt water penatration i think. Ive found the same with a shortie...... drys fast and dont smell.
May 27, 2015 01:58PM
Hi Search and Recovery, If you are at a beach go to yard sells and find good boots. Every time I go to FL. I get nice wet suites and boots, some times I have to pay $25.00 for the hole set. Just wash in plain water and hang inside out. Works good.
May 27, 2015 02:30PM
When I got the water hunting bug a few summers ago, I bought a pair of water shoes. Mostly to keep me from getting cut on sharp rocks and glass. I ended up getting a pair of Oakley Bottlecap II water shoes. They are great!! I don't water hunt anymore but I do go to the river and swim, and I wear them every time I go. I got them from one of the online stores but that particular model may be discontinued by now.
May 27, 2015 03:51PM
I scored one this morning close to pier at gulf shores it ain't a whopper but nice little 3 stoner woman's ring marked 14k
Bought time having way more difficult time this year!
I always remember it ain't what I find it's about what I'd like to find!
I can't walk as much in dry sand as I used too so I been hunting wet sand early before tides in
May 27, 2015 05:36PM
Congrats on your gold Silver master. Thanks Flinstone for the tip. I am always looking for good water boots. I have used a pair of Neosport neoprene dive boots for the last two years and they are still in great condition considering the heavy use I have given them. Despite the bad moon phase I did make the trip, over two hours, to Va. Beach yesterday just to help with my horrible case of detector itch, nothing seems to cure it though. Came home with a nice 14k white gold band and a heavy silver cross made in Italy, so it drives home the point once again to me, even if conditions are not perfect there are always a few fresh drops that can be had.
May 29, 2015 12:51AM
Rained all day so no gold today.
Been working on this photobucket thing a little bit - not confused but it isn't reconizeing my laptop as human it won't allow me to check are you human spot
I'll get it sorted somehow
Maybe I can find something tommorrow and post a pic too!
May 29, 2015 04:41AM
Silver master Wrote:
> I scored one this morning close to pier at gulf
> shores it ain't a whopper but nice little 3 stoner
> woman's ring marked 14k
> Bought time having way more difficult time this
> year!
> I always remember it ain't what I find it's about
> what I'd like to find!
> I can't walk as much in dry sand as I used too so
> I been hunting wet sand early before tides in

Congratz on the find Silver! That rain made it up this way then the sun came out...you know what that means....Humidity was crazy today. Keep your short handy for when ya get back lol
May 29, 2015 05:41PM
Didn't stay out long this morning
Very very hot really early-not a cloud to be seen
Found a heavy hoop earring looks gold but ain't marked as such
Misses and me are going for little ride down coast this evening and I might just swing a little in new area
Might just get lucky
May 29, 2015 05:46PM
Congrats on the gold in Bama. Doing a week in MB starting tomorrow. Will be lots of folks trying to remove a treasure from the beach bank.
May 29, 2015 05:53PM
ShovelNose Wrote:
> Congrats on the gold in Bama. Doing a week in MB
> starting tomorrow. Will be lots of folks trying to
> remove a treasure from the beach bank.

Yes there are lots of detectorist out early and late
We watch people after dark from our condo deck
Way more people than previous years
Good Luck
May 31, 2015 02:51PM
Way too much sunshine for me to hunt for past 2 days!
Way hot really early!
June 01, 2015 02:11AM
Find a partner and hit it at night, I'm sure you met some folks down that way. Wouldn't want to be out by myself though...bad juju
June 06, 2015 12:04AM
Hi, yep we also have a lot of junk jewellery. Some beaches are far worse for that than others.

Another annoying thing I find are tea-candles in aluminium forms which are usually left behind by eco-new-age type crowds --- Ohhhhmmmm ---

It's not just one or two but often 10-15 of them and they are usually bent/crunched, so there is not a distinct VDi for them and
they're in the dig range for me. A new trend I have observed this year is candles about half as high as the usual ones. Aaaargh.

Ah yes, this is on Med. Sea beaches. Dunno if people are allowed to put candles on the beach in the States and leave em there.

Have a nice weekend, Scoopy_Doo