Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

CZ-3D air test

Posted by fatboy59 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
CZ-3D air test
July 21, 2010 02:41AM
Tom,

I called Fisher the other day and spoke to Daniel the engineer there. I told him that you have said that with sens. at 5 as per your settings that a dime should get about 11" in an air test. He told me no that the sens. set at 8, a dime should get about 9" and a quarter should get about 10-10.5 inches. I know that you helped develop or developed this detector and he basically called you a liar. If these settings are what the CZ-3D are calibrated for then this detector is definitely not worth the price they are asking for. Your comments on this please.
Re: CZ-3D air test
July 21, 2010 10:03PM
The depth numbers he is giving you......is what a $200 Garrett ACE 250 can ascertain. A properly tuned CZ can do much better.......and most CZ owners/users out there can confirm this. I would be looked/viewed upon as 'biased'.
July 22, 2010 12:14AM
tom
The depth numbers he is giving you......is what a $200 Garrett ACE 250

An ACE250 can't even dream about a 9" dime. 6.5 max. Funny thing is it's just over 6.5 for a quarter.
July 22, 2010 01:05AM
Hmmmmm, I've tested a ACE 250 in my test garden and ascertained a 9" dime.
July 22, 2010 01:17AM
An aquaintance of mine who swings an ACE 250 regulary recovers dimes at 8" without much problem. For the price it's actually a nice unit.

As for Daniel at Fisher advising max. depth on the CZ3D should be 9" with the prescribed settings he quoted...I don't imagine Fisher wants Daniel or any other representatives for Fisher quoting maximum attainable depths or else they'd be swamped with units being returned by unsatisfied customers and it would cost them money. I could be wrong but understating a detectors capabilities can be an effective marketing tool strangely enough. Tell a fell it'll get 8" then when he get's 9" he's over joyed. Tell him it'll get 9" and he only gets 8" and all of a sudden there's a post claiming they got a "bad" unit or they start accusing them of performing inadequate QA. It's a tough business and I would imagine it's next to impossible to guarantee a particular depth in an airtest or field test for that matter considering the infinite number of variables involved.
July 22, 2010 09:36PM
Very true.
July 22, 2010 11:12PM
Several of us in a club have tested the bajeezus out of the ACE250 and not once could we hit a 7" dime - not even in an air test. We're in the black soil of the midwest , so maybe it has trouble in that - dunno, but I'm confident a blanket report of 8 or 9" dimes will lead to some disappointed purchasers around these parts. I also had very different results than Tom with the F75, so maybe there's some credence to a regional difference.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/22/2010 11:13PM by Shambler.
July 22, 2010 11:52PM
Another factor to take into consideration is of course Q&A. We all know that there's have been issues with some of the newer CZ3D's not being set up quite as well as they could be. I would imagine that Garrett too is not immune to variances during their Q&A/Tuning proccesses. Some of them are simply set-up a bit hotter than others.
July 23, 2010 01:29AM
Correct......and correct. Yes, the ACE 250 does not like bad dirt at all.