Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

What's your detector's one major weakness?

Posted by Detectorist 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
What's your detector's one major weakness?
May 24, 2015 11:51PM
My Nokta Core like pulltabs, can slaw, and screw tops. Other than that....it's a good one at a good price.

Edit:

This may be the result of all the id numbers being too close together.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/25/2015 12:18PM by Detectorist.
Re: What's your detector's one major weakness?
May 24, 2015 11:58PM
My ctx has never found a 20 gold piece will not hit on a silver dime on my car hood need I say more .
May 25, 2015 12:06AM
At this point, with my Racer, I believe its biggest weakness is the person swinging it. I'll eventually get there...
May 25, 2015 12:19AM
My arm.
May 25, 2015 12:21AM
Ha, thats easy...silver. using f19, just inherantly weak on silver. Not terrible, but its noticeable when out hunting with my son who uses the at pro.
May 25, 2015 12:25AM
Any of my machines that do not have a volume control. That seems like design 101 for something using headphones.
May 25, 2015 12:40AM
Weight is a problem on the older models, but as detectors go they do the job great, trouble is gold and junk often read the same not really much the detector can do if the conductivity scale is near the same..
May 25, 2015 12:46AM
Ditto

FollowTheBeep Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> At this point, with my Racer, I believe its
> biggest weakness is the person swinging it. I'll
> eventually get there...

Bryanna - Nebraska

Current - New to me but not new MXT Pro and T2 SE2 - Previous Minelab Sovereign GT, Minelab Safari, Whites DFX, Whites Eagle Spectrum
Smile its a good for you!
May 25, 2015 01:01AM
I have owned many different detectors and they all had the same problem. They would sit in the corner way too much.

Tom in SC
May 25, 2015 01:27AM
If my IDXs had TONES things would be easier. It's possible to do what I want by constantly having my eyes on the display but tones would solve that problem so I could concentrate more on my sweep patterns. I know people say don't rely on the display but these are accurate to great depth,proven time and time again by just digging different things. Tones would be great though,which is why I'm buying an Explorer2 next weekend to add to the crew...smiling smiley GREAT subject Detectorist!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/25/2015 01:28AM by IDXMonster.
May 25, 2015 01:51AM
CTX=Weight
Deus=Big iron
F75LTD2=No fast toggle between AM and disc and vice versa
Racer=No iron tone adjustment
ATX=Weight
May 25, 2015 02:43AM
All of the ones I own wont I.D. properly at depth..

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
May 25, 2015 02:51AM
All my dirt detectors make my wrist sore from all that digging.
May 25, 2015 02:57AM
my Whites detectors seem to share the same two weaknesses,
1. They all like my wife better than me which can be proved by comparing our finds after each hunt!
2. my whites like bottle caps if had found a silver quarter every time it said a bottle cap was going to be one, yeah.....

And my omega and etp are easy to sniff out bottle caps with but they like the old ring pulls a lot and seem to enjoy calling them coins.
May 25, 2015 03:07AM
None of mine have a weakness, I don't look at it from that side of the equation at all, I dote on what they can do though lol.
May 25, 2015 04:27AM
XP Deus = 1599.00
At Pro= 595.00
Tesoro Vaquero=432.00
Tesoro Compadre=Priceless

lol
May 25, 2015 07:23AM
Deus:

(The way I run it & places I hunt)
1. Too shallow
2. EMI prone
3. Lack of "useful" audio information on modern trash

P.s. Sorry, could not decide what was the major weakness, because it depends on the situation...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/25/2015 07:27AM by x2000.
May 25, 2015 07:40AM
Their main weakness is ME swinging them.

With the amount of machines I currently own I would say ergonomics and user interface.
F19 needed a longer lower stem for it to be comfortable, volume correspondance between disc mode and pinpoint mode. Toggle pinpoint mode in stead of holding it down.
X-Terra 705 needs ID on the stronger signals in prospecting mode.
I'm dying for SAT VCO mode on the CTX, switchable with the pinpoint button.
Same with the F75 LTD, fast All Metal/Disc toggle switch, that doesn't spring back.
Excalibur II needs the FBS2 tech from the CTX in stead of BBS.
SDC2300 has an overweight problem.
Go-Find 60 NEEDS to become X-terra 805.
XP Deus needs everyone but me behind the wheel :-)

I need to become more gratefull for the design efforts of the engineers giving us such great tech to play with!
You would hate having me on a development team.

HH
Johnb
May 25, 2015 08:15AM
Living in the U.K, the problem with all detectors is they cost too much. A 500 US Dollar machine magically becomes a 500 Pounds = 750 Dollar machine.

And slightly more technical, the problem with most machines is they aren't designed for the environment they are intended to be used in, particularly water-resistance.
May 25, 2015 11:54AM
My love of fishing and deer hunting.. Detector sits during those times... winking smiley
May 25, 2015 12:30PM
GPX -- Being tethered to the detector via a power cord and external battery.
May 25, 2015 12:51PM
I'll have to agree with tmanly...they sit in the corner too much. I don't get as many hours in the field to satisfy my detecting needs as I use to....too many projects on the list to get my home out of the sixties.
Other than that, they work as can be expected and no complaints about that aspect... Peace Out.
May 25, 2015 05:31PM
Daniel Tn Wrote:
> GPX -- Being tethered to the detector via a power
> cord and external battery.

I hear ya on that!!pain in the butt.
May 25, 2015 07:41PM
Not sure if we are doing metal detectors justice, how can it be a weakness that detectors find pulltabs, nickels, gold in the same parameters it responds to their conductivity if conductivity is nearly the same then the metal detector has no weakness it's doing it's designed job correct at the price's we pay. HH
May 25, 2015 07:51PM
The CTX's weakness is it's primary frequency is so low that it is about dead to valuable low conductors. Too bad there isn't a freq shift button built in to temporarily run the primary frequence to ~20Khz with harmonics above adjusted accordingly. You lose depth but you gain sensitivity to the weak conductors.
May 25, 2015 09:10PM
@Johnny: I've mentioned it before on here, but it surprises me that none of the FBS/BBS machines have the ability to function as a straightforwards 25KHz single-frequency machine. It seems like it ought to be possible.

Back on topic, the XP GMP / GMAXX-2 have a major weak point - the users manual.
May 26, 2015 12:25AM
my machine doesn't know how to leave the house when no one is looking
May 26, 2015 02:05AM
Only focusing on strengths and not knowing or caring for the weaknesses is a good way to get burned in this world. Buying something used comes to mind....vehicles, house, etc. They are only gonna tell you the good points. But its the bad I'm more interested in knowing.

I want to know the whole story of everything.
May 26, 2015 02:16AM
May 26, 2015 11:07AM
Caretaker Wrote:
> my machine doesn't know how to leave the house
> when no one is looking

Boy did that hit a funny bone. LOL!