Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

How do you like that hermit pick MichiganRelicHunter?

Posted by aguerrero56 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
How do you like that hermit pick MichiganRelicHunter?
May 25, 2015 04:19AM
Have you got a chance to use it yet? Just wondering

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/25/2015 04:19AM by aguerrero56.
Re: How do you like that hermit pick MichiganRelicHunter?
May 25, 2015 04:26AM
Check out Apex picks. Been using for years. Awesome. Just sucks when you think your diggin another rusty shovel, and stick it through a powder flask,lol.
May 25, 2015 08:01AM
Ouch! Lol
May 25, 2015 09:26AM
Works great aguerrero

I've used it a few times in the last couple of weeks.

It's great for dry/hard/rocky type ground --- you use the spike to penetrate and break apart the dirt and then spin it around to use the shovel head to clear and/or dig out the dirt & target grinning smiley

The magnet on the end is cool too because it attracts iron to remove from the area you're working.

They're designed more for mountainous type terrain and those types of soils more so than the terrain/soil we have here in lower Michigan as it's a tool meant for use while facing an incline and digging in hard packed rocky/clay/dry soils much more so than for use in areas where the terrain is flat and a standard shovel is used... but... when the ground is dry here... it works far better than any "shovel"!

I also bought it for when I travel back down south to hunt with Keith again and/or out west to hunt with Ray while visiting my son too because it's the only type of tool to use in their soils/terrain --- learned that one the hard way last winter when hunting with Keith and all I had was my Predator shovel with me! lol
May 25, 2015 05:07PM
Good to hear you like it MRH. Not a good feeling when you show up and realize you don't have the tools for the job. Keith uses a folding trench pick/shovel alot doesn't he? As some may remember I made a hermit wannabe myself and feel it came out too heavy so I'll be making another, this time using a wood handle instead of metal. Hopefully it quits raining here in Texas so I can start hunting the river beds soon! Old roads that are hard and compact with rocks and gravel are another good place to use this tool for those interested in getting one. I guess the point of this post was for input before I make my second one. MRH, is there anything you would change or add to the current hermit design?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/25/2015 05:10PM by aguerrero56.
May 26, 2015 09:14AM
Hey aguerrero56

If I could have one change to the pick it would be an ergonomic type handle to give a more comfortable feel during use VS the straight handle. It would also help with the position at which you bend/dig relieving some of the stress in bending but other than that the proformance of the pick and what it's intended to do is very good.
May 26, 2015 05:44PM
I have to agree now that you mention it MRH..
The straight handle does make it a little funky when using.
Prospecting picks were intended to use upright and probably why most have straight handles.
This type of handle is not ideal for digging downwards I suppose.
Thanks MRH you have given me something to think about..
I'm thinking an axe type handle might do the trick.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/26/2015 05:45PM by aguerrero56.