Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

The reality of metal detecting forums.

Posted by Anonymous User 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: The reality of metal detecting forums.
May 30, 2015 12:50AM
The last two posts in this thread confuse me??!!?

Never mind, I see they have been removed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/30/2015 01:21AM by SeabeeRon.
Anonymous User
May 30, 2015 02:12AM
scoopjohnb Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I just spent an hour watching grass grow.
>
> I felt more enlightened from watching that grass
> than reading this thread.
>
> That reminds me,... need to mow the lawn.
> Kempi,... where's my mower??

Well, you've certainly asked the right person. You can skip up to 3:20 in the video for an update. I had to take care of that groundskeeper that ran me off the course last week but I'll get your mower back to you.
[www.youtube.com]
Anonymous User
May 30, 2015 03:59PM
Are some of you feeling better today ? I'm hoping some of you were just having a bad day. Certainly you don't act like this all the time. Maybe a metal detecting " people" forum isn't a good idea. Hard to believe that I would come up with a bad idea but there's always a first time. Not giving up yet though, like I said ,maybe some just having a bad day. I've had other ideas that are going to make people some big bucks when they get the attention they deserve. 2 of my better ones are the idea of letting people register their puppy and the sub-forum titled "Opinions on Moderators".

Did you know that the pet industry is a 19 billion dollar a year industry ? People are much more likely to spend 20 bucks to get their pet featured than they are to spend 20 bucks to finish a political comment. But what the hell do I know! And the "Opinions on Moderators" thread I have posted over on the money forum was quickly becoming a very popular thing. So just a couple of freebies there if anyone wants to use them.
May 30, 2015 04:34PM
Maybe Tom's forum could be 'sub-categorised' a little. Instead of just "Thomas Dankowski Open Forum" it could be "Thomas Dankowski Detecting Forum" and "Thomas Dankowski General Chat Forum". Then there's a place for the occasional off-topic discussion, like the popular "US Politics" and "Guns". Then users can more readily seek out or ignore what they are/not looking for.
Anonymous User
May 30, 2015 05:00PM
Pimento Wrote:
> Maybe Tom's forum could be 'sub-categorised' a
> little. Instead of just "Thomas Dankowski Open
> Forum" it could be "Thomas Dankowski Detecting
> Forum" and "Thomas Dankowski General Chat Forum".
> Then there's a place for the occasional off-topic
> discussion, like the popular "US Politics" and
> "Guns". Then users can more readily seek out or
> ignore what they are/not looking for.

No need for a change here. Just discussing what might be a nice out in the diversified forum world. Of course a separate forum might not be a bad idea. I probably wouldn't be much of a participant in the guns and politics portions as there would be enough people doing that. Some good ideas there but more separation sounds good. Maybe an annual maintenance fee and having to use your real name.
May 30, 2015 05:46PM
It is dangerous to use your real name and contacts on a public forum for obvious reasons, I would like to suggest if a donation button with pay pal could be added, unless there already? I would gladly donate to help with expenses. Many forums have a donation button.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/30/2015 05:48PM by guvmore.
Anonymous User
May 30, 2015 07:46PM
guvmore Wrote:
> It is dangerous to use your real name and contacts
> on a public forum for obvious reasons, I would
> like to suggest if a donation button with pay pal
> could be added, unless there already? I would
> gladly donate to help with expenses. Many forums
> have a donation button.

Yeah,believe me, I know, but if everyone did it that would be a big help in those regards. The pay pal idea would be good as it could be used to pay dues and any business transaction someone made could go through it. Just to use an example on the public information issue, if a person belongs to a church they usually have a directory listing all members. There are a lot of ways to get someone's information if someone wants it. I know that discussions get heated on a forum but I think some people would not act like they do if they were not hiding behind a username. The username cuts both ways as it may protect someone but may cost someone else protection.
May 30, 2015 07:58PM
The UK detecting Forum I use has a proper auction site 'allied' to it, and the (low-ish) commission charge helps fund the Forum. The site owner didn't want a 'Paypal Donate Button', as he preferred it to be self-supporting in other ways. But a Paypal Button might be an idea here, if people are buying/selling through Tom's forum.
Anonymous User
May 30, 2015 08:07PM
Pimento Wrote:
> The UK detecting Forum I use has a proper auction
> site 'allied' to it, and the (low-ish) commission
> charge helps fund the Forum. The site owner didn't
> want a 'Paypal Donate Button', as he preferred it
> to be self-supporting in other ways. But a Paypal
> Button might be an idea here, if people are
> buying/selling through Tom's forum.

Probably wouldn't effect me much but yes, I think something like pay pal should always be used. If a person were selling something through forum contacts they could post a picture of the item on site. If there were a dispute then that too could be helpful to paypal.
Anonymous User
May 30, 2015 08:53PM
Whatever the particulars of a detecting forum would entail, I think there is a need for one that could represent the detecting community. Yeah, I know, when I look at what is going on it is going to be called bashing by some but I don't recall anyone saying anything positive about the major forums recently. It depends on what a person wants to do on them whether or not they choose to participate or stay eligible.

I'm not sure if they are not just as harmful to the hobby as they are helpful anymore. I just saw yesterday where someone was talking about detecting a football field with knee pads,headphone and a shovel during the day. While he was encountered by someone and there was not a problem there, I think as a standard in the hobby we should not be detecting a football field in the middle of the day loaded for bear as anyone in the general public can see us. While it may have crossed someone's mind to ask (don't bet on it) them what they were thinking I'm not sure people just didn't want to say anything. If the detecting community is seen as being all about youtube videos and getting what we can when we can it will not look good on us. That leaves us in a position where there is no place to point to in our defense to get a ban overturned or to get one from being initiated.

While people on a detecting forum often talk about "those other people" I'm not sure " those other people " are not just as considerate to the hobby as a whole. There are people both as members of forums and not that detect properly. I'm not sure of percentages anymore.
May 30, 2015 09:27PM
Kemper I think many in the hobby do not want to see shovels near public parks and especially near groomed grass, it just looks bad on the hobby.
I know the shovel may do a good job when turf is replaced but it just looks bad...don't use a shovel in parks, my 2 cents.

In fact if a park looks especially well groomed just leave it and pick other spots. Even diggers that look like weapons should maybe be avoided, my opinion only others may differ. HH
Anonymous User
May 30, 2015 09:56PM
guvmore Wrote:
> Kemper I think many in the hobby do not want to
> see shovels near public parks and especially near
> groomed grass, it just looks bad on the hobby.
> I know the shovel may do a good job when turf is
> replaced but it just looks bad...don't use a
> shovel in parks, my 2 cents.
>
> In fact if a park looks especially well groomed
> just leave it and pick other spots. Even diggers
> that look like weapons should maybe be avoided, my
> opinion only others may differ. HH

Agree. When I started detecting in my city I used a digger with a cut off handle in my back pocket. Without getting into a long story I'll say that when I was questioned ,and what I was doing was inspected, the ultimate authority over my city property said that what I was doing and the way I was doing it was allowed on city property. I didn't ask no questions and if it is city property I detect low key and do not have a problem. That don't prove that if I were seen with knee pads and a shovel I would not have gotten the same green light but it is highly doubtful. I don't think some realize how important this can be. One simple act can cause one to spend thousands of dollars and a lot of time finding a place to detect just because they weren't cautious.
June 01, 2015 06:09AM
guvmore Wrote:
> Kemper I think many in the hobby do not want to
> see shovels near public parks and especially near
> groomed grass, it just looks bad on the hobby.
> I know the shovel may do a good job when turf is
> replaced but it just looks bad...don't use a
> shovel in parks, my 2 cents.
>
> In fact if a park looks especially well groomed
> just leave it and pick other spots. Even diggers
> that look like weapons should maybe be avoided, my
> opinion only others may differ. HH

using a shovel in a public park is a recipe for disaster!
the mere appearance of a "shovel" in a well maintained public place
will almost assuredly get the proverbial "dime dropped" on ya,and give the "boys in blue"
somethin' to do!.the most important aspect of this is you will decidedly no only get your "ass" tossed,
but everyone else will suffer the "jackboot" being applied to their "posteriors" as well! .."ALL" of us gotta "think beyond
our noses" these days,or the only place you will be able to hunt in the future will be your "own" back yard!,because everywhere
else will be "f*cked!"..

(h.h.!)
j.t.