Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

electrolysis help

Posted by Rod-PA 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
electrolysis help
May 29, 2015 04:10PM
Good Morning
I have gone through the electrolysis tutorial by Sergei from metaldetectingworld. Do any of you have other helpful sites for relics and electrolysis? I am also looking for help with pocket knives that have wood sides. Any tips on mixed materials like that, or also plating? I now have 3 PA drivers license badges that are plated. Trying to figure out if I will make things worse than they are already.

Thanks.
Re: electrolysis help
May 29, 2015 04:28PM
Another iron-electrolysis guide is this one:
[myweb.tiscali.co.uk]
A gentle rust removal product we have in the U.K is this Hammerite one:
[www.hammerite.co.uk]
It appears to be very similar to this product:
[www.picreator.co.uk]

I don't know if there's an equivalent in the US.
May 29, 2015 04:34PM
White vinegar takes all the rust off of iron in few days. Still has that old look to it. When you clean and dry the iron a light rust will form on it that you wire brush off. Put the iron in the sun and then put wax on it. I have horse shoes and other things that came out beautiful. Some the rust is bulging out all over and when clean looks great. Give it try on something. I like a lot better than electrolysis. I wouldn't electrolysis coins.

Rick
May 29, 2015 05:07PM
I woudl be very careful with the electrolysis on palted items..it will come off easily...

actually a bit of lemon jusice will do wnders on plated items...But you will turn the bare Brass purple...

I like to use electrolysis on IRON only...

theres as many methods as you can imagine...

on iron the main thing ts to pull the salts out of the iron or it will keep corroding till its completely gone..Maybe not in your lifetime but eventually..

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
May 30, 2015 05:32PM
"One of the most important aspects of E-Sys is NOT TO mix metals in the same water...I found that out the hard way!"
Anonymous User
May 30, 2015 05:38PM
I have used CLR on aluminum items ONLY. Tokens and badges that are aluminum came out nice after soaking in CLR. Do NOT soak brass in CLR as it will remove the zinc and leave brass looking like pitted copper.
May 30, 2015 07:08PM
[www.youtube.com] ~ Like this yonder video , have tried apple cider vinegar seems to work all right for iron would like to build a electrolysis tank and try it, do your homework! LOL
May 30, 2015 09:37PM
Be careful my friend as the process can make things worse than they are....especially with a good coin from a saltsand area...Can actually eat up some metals...
May 30, 2015 09:42PM
If coin is collectable cleaning as usual will do more harm then good, reduces value greatly.
Even silver dipping will eventually dull silver coins, best left to the pro's if cleaning is needed..
May 30, 2015 10:48PM
I just do it on iron stuff. Recently been on a good mid 1800's house site and am acumulating alot of handtools that I shock. Just shock and spray with poly afterwards. Ball peen hammer, stiff welders brush and hit with a nail punch to help on the stubborn spots.

I may try some of the vinager /wax stuff. Ive always been leary of vineger after some shockingly dramatic damage to a experimental coin. Obviously irons a differant animal though.