Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Just aquired a Sunray pointer

Posted by Keith Southern 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Just aquired a Sunray pointer
May 29, 2015 10:59PM
Not really a pinpointer guy for certain reasons...one being no disc...well this takes care of the disc...and its Quite deep...I may actually hunt with it on the end fo the rod...nothing like a 1 inch coil in iron!!

Works well on the 75v2....still trying to see if it attentuates the signal any if at all..

how do yall like the Sunray's.. this is my first one...Seem's likable ...

Looks the business if nothing else LOL!!

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
Re: Just aquired a Sunray pointer
May 29, 2015 11:18PM
Hey Keith,

I like the SunRay pin pointers, I feel you're really like yours since you're already taking to it right away.

What stopped me from using them was the extra weight and switched to home made Hip-mount Pi pin-pointers several years ago to get more depth, Yeah SunRay probes are great!

Paul (Ca)
May 29, 2015 11:33PM
On a Whites M6, the M6 lost 1 to 2 inches with the Sunray DX-1 versus without.
May 29, 2015 11:37PM
Keith-----I have always liked & used Ralphs (Sunray) in-line probes on many of my detectors.----IMO, the detectors they work the very best on are the F-75 & Explorer/Etrac.-----A tip----they will I.D. steel bottle caps great on the F-75.-------Drawbacks---the long cord---11 oz. added weight---and forgetting to switch the probe back to the coil after digging a target. smiling smiley----Not a problem with the switch if you make the switch back part of your recovery procedure.-----------Del
May 29, 2015 11:48PM
All viable good info and tips...

ill give it a go...it's the attenuation I worry about...

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
May 29, 2015 11:51PM
Keith what I liked about mine that was on an Etrac, was that it also had discrimination. You could find the same target with the probe that the detector found without digging out all the iron around it. I never tried one on a F75 but should be the same.

Tom in SC
May 29, 2015 11:55PM
I like the Sunray probe on my CZ 3d. It works great. Just not a fan of the extra weight. It is noticeable. Hunting fields and woods for relics, or beaches where holes can be dug pretty big without worry I never really saw the need for one. The edge of the coil works just fine for me. Now hunting parks or manicured lawns I could see where it would have a place in my aresonal. My probe came on a used CZ. So personal choice as to advantage to weight.
May 30, 2015 12:08AM
I've used th in line pinpointers in the past. It caused emi on my cz's. I took it off & still have one that's collecting dust. I forget my pro pointer now & again & it feels like I'm naked.
May 30, 2015 12:15AM
Well ..I think... there the best thing...since a piece of Cheese... in between...two pieces of Fried bread !!!
May 30, 2015 12:21AM
I'm the odd man out here I guess,,,just can't develop much love for the one I have on the etrac and will probably sell it cheap. Too many more steps involved than just grabbing the pinpointer and turning it on. With a slide on the pinpointer to super tune it I think the Sunray actually loses depth because I can't run sensitivity high enough in my soil . The extra weight , the cord tangled in the bushes , the hooking and unhooking , the noise in the headset while you're digging if you don't turn it off or put it in a metal free area....just a general PITA. I'm glad I got it for a song! The disc while pinpointing is indeed nice but it's alot easier to just dig out the trash and be done with it.

I have seen a couple for the 75 available for around a $100 and have been tempted to try one on it but my experience on the etrac has dissuaded me from jumping on one.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/30/2015 12:24AM by shoveler.
May 30, 2015 12:39AM
A lot of people use them in my area I just never liked adding any extra weight on the Detector as to me it is heavy enough. I do like the way it Disc. though,But will stick with my Garrett propointer.
May 30, 2015 12:47AM
Used the s1 probe on the Sov....in parks, wouldnt be without. Relic hunting, dont carry one, but my son whose usually with me, has a garrett.....so if getting deep, sometimes Ill grab it from him.
May 30, 2015 01:05AM
On a deep unit like the f75 I find out in the woods I have to dig down then still can't find target in bottom of hole so I have to start using my hand trowel looking for target...hopefully this will let me figure out on which side of the hole the target is on....probably won't turn it on much but on occasion deep minnie balls are hard to locate in the bottoms of holes so I have to open the hole up extra wide to find it with big coil..

to be honest though I have other uses for this..i want to use it in tight iron...just open the dirt up sit down and just play through the iron with it looking for masked non ferrous..i have a ton of sites I can just sit there a work through the iron..

unique in that the probe discriminates...thats my fascination with it..

Leith

-Nikola Tesla
May 31, 2015 05:15AM
The FX-1 Sunray probe also works on the F5, F19, Euro teks, and Greek series.

HH
Mike
May 31, 2015 05:40AM
I had a used Sunray probe that was maybe 20 years old very reliable and good depth and was still working when sold it to buy some other items.
May 31, 2015 06:33AM
Mike Hillis Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The FX-1 Sunray probe also works on the F5, F19,
> Euro teks, and Greek series.
>
> HH
> Mike

And the F-70, G2 & GB Pro.
May 31, 2015 12:38PM
Keith Southern Wrote:
> On a deep unit like the f75 I find out in the
> woods I have to dig down then still can't find
> target in bottom of hole so I have to start using
> my hand trowel looking for target...hopefully this
> will let me figure out on which side of the hole
> the target is on....probably won't turn it on much
> but on occasion deep minnie balls are hard to
> locate in the bottoms of holes so I have to open
> the hole up extra wide to find it with big
> coil..
>
> to be honest though I have other uses for this..i
> want to use it in tight iron...just open the dirt
> up sit down and just play through the iron with it
> looking for masked non ferrous..i have a ton of
> sites I can just sit there a work through the
> iron..
>
> unique in that the probe discriminates...thats my
> fascination with it..
>
>
> Leith

Hey Leith (lol), Dude, I used to do this! Wino park in Stockton. I would cut a flap about one square foot, and use the probe...it worked! Found coins that way.
May 31, 2015 04:31PM
Wish they made one to go on the ctx 3030. I used one on my se pro and explorer 2. Loved it.
May 31, 2015 11:35PM
Mccrorysjewelry2 Wrote:
> Wish they made one to go on the ctx 3030. I used
> one on my se pro and explorer 2. Loved it.

I wish Ralph (Sunray) still made them for the Explorer/Etrac!-----He said the cost had gotten prohibitive to produce them---probably had to do with decreased demand also what with the advent of the CTX AND modern hand helds.-------One things for sure---when you do find a X-1 on the secondary market----you will pay dearly for it---excellent product that it is!