Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

My Euro Deus High Output test on 2 10" freshly buried coins

Posted by tnsharpshooter 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
My Euro Deus High Output test on 2 10" freshly buried coins
May 30, 2015 01:18AM
Some of you may have read about my latest detector acquisition. Put me back up to 2 Deus units and then some. Well anyway, I mentioned on this forum I believe yesterday the Deus loves loose/disturbed soil. That I had seen CTX struggle vs Deus.

Well after getting my new used unit today I got to thinking. So I did some test.

The test was on 1 each clad dime and nickel freshly buried at between 10-10.25 inches. I stepped on the covered holes a few times. I weigh 200 pounds. This soil measures 4 bars on my F75LTD2. And on the meters on both Deus units halfway up on the mineral scale.

Now this test was done with 2 different 2 Deus units, one with 9" coil and one with 11" coil.
The audio report was set to 5 on both units using external speaker.

First the nickel
Deus with 9" coil
Checking freq, tone provided in all freqs except 4khz setting--notta, nothing I would dig
18khz seemed to give the smoothest signal.

All remaining test done at 18khz
With sensitivity set to 93 disc at 5.5, I could get diggable tone in reactivity settings 0,1,2 as long as silencer was -1. I could raise silencer to 0 and get tone in reactivity settings 0 and 1.

I went to reactivity setting 0, silencer -1, and started dialing sensitivity down until I lost signal. At 80 I got a squeak, 84 seem to provide a diggable signal. Next I started raising sensitivity and checking between sweeps. From 84 all the way to 99 a diggable signal was obtained, but once past 95 sens setting, signal seem to start getting wishy washy progressively from 95 to 99. Also it seemed the tone provided was a tad longer as well as louder as I progress from 84 upwards with the sensitivity. (something you witness a lot of times when dialing reactivity up as far as tone length)

Next I went back to 84 sensitivity and started playing with disc setting. Adjusting disc setting from 0 up to 7, I couldn't tell any dfference in the signal on the nickel. So I went to 12. This setting the signal got weaker.

So I put everything back setting wise like I like to hunt. Sens 93, disc 6.0, Reactivity 1 silencer -1, audio report 5, iron vol 0.
Know I generally don't run notch, but some folks do; especially for big iron. Say notch 97-99. This is what I did. Nickel signal very weak/broken-definitley seemed more sweep speed critical in getting the best signal-a signal I'm not sure I would a dug. Signal to me resembled deus trying to break up on iron with disc. Deep coin/relic hunters should take note of this IMO.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Deus with 11" coil

Basically the same outcome with 9" coil with these exceptions. I could run sensitivity at 76 and get a weak signal on the nickel, 78 was I think diggable, so what I'm saying is about 5-6 points lower on sensitivity setting yielded with 11" coil a similar signal as when using the 9" coil. Also it seemed like the 11" coil bought me one level on the reactivity setting, meaning about the same diggable signal for example using 11" a setting of 2 where using the 9" coil a setting of 1 was required-this with silencer left at -1.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
10" freshly buried dime

Deus with 9" coil
Signal was obtainable using all freqs, even 4khz
Reactivity setting could be no higher than 2 silencer -1----got a signal (not diggable IMO) but probably only because I knew where the dime was. Reactivity setting 1 better- diggable, but not as nice as signal was at reactivity 0 silencer -1.
I thought 12 khz gave the smoothest signal.
I did settings changes like I did above, basically the same outcome. Maybe a couple points more sensitivity required vs nickel settings above. Sensitivity above 95 signal again wishy washy-still diggable though.

Deus with 11" coil
Again signal was obtainable in all 4 freqs.
Compared to 9" coil test settings on nickel, instead of 11" coil buying me one level on the reactivity setting with dime more like 1/2 reactivity setting.

All the Deus test were done with GB set to manual with ground reading. No GB manipulation was accomplished.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Some may be curious about the F75LTD2 and Racer. Well with stock coils on both units I tested them on the 2 freshly buried coins.
F75LTD2
First the nickel. Running in 9.0 Bp disc 0 sens 99 fast grab GB, only tone every once in a while when the coil was trailing away from the nickel when coil was swept. JE process provided tone-consistent but extremely short/weak. DE process I got even weaker tone and extremely faint.

10" buried dime- tried all processes except CL and FA with 99 sens disc 0, even PF process. No signal-notta nothing
Tried both 9.0 and 9.1 with the settings mentioned. AM would hit the dime, but it even seemed weak to me. AM sens was set to 90.

Racer
10" Nickel
Tried both 2 tone and 3 tone with higher gain levels, and with ID filter set from 0 to 10. I was able to get broken tone in 3 tone with gain at 98 ID filter 0-5. But not something I think I would have dug. 2 tone imo was worse than 3 tone.

10" dime
Tried both 2 and 3 tones. Even with ID filter at 0, using using varied levels of gain=notta, nothing to dig/investigate
AM seemed to light both the dime and nickel up. AM audio sounded better to me than F75LTD2.
===========================================================================================================================================

My summary:
For plowed fields, areas with dirt moved around i.e. tear down/construction----Deus is a winner
An operator I feel needs to keep sensitivity level between 92 and 95 when after the deeper targets (If EMI will let)
Notch- I highly recommend the deep coin/relic seekers to think twice when notching the higher VDI#s like 97-99.
It seems as long as you keep you disc set no higher than 8, depth loss is minimal or non-existent. A setting of 6 will work in a lot of nail pits
Using 4khz, don't expect to be finding many deep nickels/low conductor targets.
Deep coin/relic hunters should consider running Audio report at 5 or higher (maybe higher depending on hearing and ambient noise).
Both the 11" and 9" coils it seems have their place. IMO with the good separation the Deus offers. If I were recommending just one coil I would say for open field hunters the 11" coil, for old house sites and the other areas loaded with trash/iron the 9" coil.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/30/2015 01:35AM by tnsharpshooter.
Re: My Euro Deus High Output test on 2 10" freshly buried coins
May 30, 2015 01:47AM
Thanks! This info is much more accurate to my experiences even in no mineral soil.
May 30, 2015 02:19AM
Your welcome DetectingMO!

There is something I forgot to say and this I feel is beneficial info. For folks hunting in high emi environments were you are forced to run lower sensitivity consider this.

Run your reactivity at a lower setting. Say you like to hunt generally in 2. With a forced lower sens setting go down to say 1 on the reactivity. What this will do is get back some of your depth and tone length you'll lose with lower sensitivity setting. Just make sure you slow your sweep speed a bit.
May 30, 2015 02:22AM
Great test.
May 30, 2015 04:28AM
tnsharpshooter Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Your welcome DetectingMO!
>
> There is something I forgot to say and this I feel
> is beneficial info. For folks hunting in high emi
> environments were you are forced to run lower
> sensitivity consider this.
>
> Run your reactivity at a lower setting. Say you
> like to hunt generally in 2. With a forced lower
> sens setting go down to say 1 on the reactivity.
> What this will do is get back some of your depth
> and tone length you'll lose with lower sensitivity
> setting. Just make sure you slow your sweep speed
> a bit.

Don't forget to bump tx to 3 as well
May 30, 2015 04:47AM
DetectorMO,
You may be right. I haven't fooled around a lot with TX-3 setting. I may try and bury a 11" dime and play with the TX setting after I dial the sens down to a barely audible signal and see it the setting helps. (That is, if I can even hear a 11" freshly buried dime!)

Also, where you the person asking just recently about coil battery replacement. What happened. Did you do yourself?? If so how did it go? Just curious.
May 30, 2015 12:39PM
That wasn't me. Tx increase was a response to battle emi and still get little more depth since emi is is proportional to the Rx side of things.
May 30, 2015 01:38PM
I actually got to hunt with my Deus for a few hours Friday. In some real nasty red dirt. One particular spot has a big spring that bubbles out from under a big rock. It is loaded with iron. I tried hunting it with the F75 a few yrs ago and eventually walked away from it. I was curious to what the Deus could do. Using one of the programs I got from Andy's book that I had tweaked a little. I was fooled at first by some pieces of flat iron but kind of got the hang of their audio footprint/signature. I was able to pull a cuff size flat button, j hook, some small brass rivets, and a pile of camp lead from that spot. I left because it was mid day and was stupid hot out there and I had ran out of powerade. I will be back when it cools down some. I have a crazy attraction to this spot that a belt plate is there.
May 30, 2015 02:37PM
Care to share your settings Daniel??? I'm betting reactivity 3 silencer -1. Curious about your GB setting??? I could kick myself in the butt. On my second trip down to Tom41's neighborhood, I didn't take Deus, instead F75. Need I say more!!! But I knew the ground at this area/site was warm, but basing this on my Deus meter on my first visit. I didn't realize it was 5 bar until my second visit with F75. (Didn't take F75 on first trip). This is also one reason I keep at least talking about the mineral meter readings on Deus when comparing to F75's fe meter when over the same ground. Not scientific. but folks, if when pumping the coil on your Deus and the mineral meter is past halfway or more beware of the ground minerals and adjust your Deus detector settings accordingly to help work against the higher mineral levels. I would like to know where, for example, a person has seen the meter pegged on Deus. I'm not even sure the worst dirt at Cullpepper would peg it.

I also think XP would have been served well had they talked more about the mineral meter in operator's manual. Sorta like break it down like FT does with their detector fe meters. And even gave some recommendations- settings wise based on the different indicated meter readings.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/30/2015 02:59PM by tnsharpshooter.
May 30, 2015 06:15PM
The soil at the place I was, varies quite a bit. From past experience, I feel like they have moved some dirt around on the place. Within a 200 yard strip, you can find 3 distinct differences in dirt. I don't know a lot about the Deus as of yet so all I can tell you in regards to mineral...is the settings it would GB at. I saw a range that varied from 68 all the way to 85. Most of the time though it was balancing in the mid 70 range. The redder dirt was in the 80s. The dirt that was in the 60s was down by the spring and it was a nice soft brown dirt. I was actually surprised at how deep the little flat button was, and was still giving a good tone and even had pretty good ID numbers too.

Setting wise...no big secrets there. I am a 2 tone guy. I actually have a few different programs saved side by side, so I can easily swap from one to the other. There's only a few minor changes to each...I have been using them to kind of cross check signals.

Sens - 90+
Disc = 10
TX Power 3
Freq - 7.8
Iron Vol - 2
Reactivity = 2
Silencer - 0 or -1

That one is kind of my primary setup.

When I run into the heavier iron, I use basically the same settings with a few minor tweaks.

My heavier iron program runs a lower TX power setting, and back off sensitivity as well. With increased reactivity to 3 or even 4. I also have the Freq shifted to 18 for iron and or electric fences, powerlines, etc.

---------------------------

I half thought of taking it to my bad dirt bullet site and doing some tinkering there. But that place is a 30+ acre wide open field with no shade. Not the place you wanna be on a 90 degree day with heavy humidity and no breeze. I will hit it later on when the weather is cooler.

I do have a few little gripes about the Deus though. I like more about it than I don't like...but I do wish there was a way to program the crazy thing with a PC or something. Especially setting things like tone breaks, etc. It would be much easier to go into a PC program with a little slider bar...kinda like the volume setting, and just move it to where you want it. Hit save...and then upload it to the controller. Done.
May 31, 2015 02:48AM
Thanx Daniel..