Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Freshwater Detector advice please.

Posted by Cabin Fever 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Freshwater Detector advice please.
May 31, 2015 02:48AM
I am thinking about doing a little water hunting this year.
Freshwater only and some dry beach hunting too.
Jewelry is the goal of course.
I will probably just be wading so it doesn't need to go deep.
Im looking at the Tiger Shark, CZ21, and the AT Gold so far.
Other detector brand ideas welcome.
I would also like an opinion on coil size.
Looks like an 8 or 10 inch choice.
I have other detectors for land hunting so it does not need to be a dual purpose machine.
Thanks
Bryan
Re: Freshwater Detector advice please.
May 31, 2015 05:00AM
Cabin Fever Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I am thinking about doing a little water hunting
> this year.
> Freshwater only and some dry beach hunting too.
> Jewelry is the goal of course.
> I will probably just be wading so it doesn't need
> to go deep.
> Im looking at the Tiger Shark, CZ21, and the AT
> Gold so far.
> Other detector brand ideas welcome.
> I would also like an opinion on coil size.
> Looks like an 8 or 10 inch choice.
> I have other detectors for land hunting so it does
> not need to be a dual purpose machine.
> Thanks
> Bryan
Really no need to go overboard with a fresh water machine. I would choose the Atpro over the Atgold. I believe we've all been waiting for an Atpro killer at a reasonable price. But for now the Garrett has that market. It actually does pretty darn good.

Kenny
[www.youtube.com]
May 31, 2015 05:28AM
Why don't you take a look at the Detector Pro Headhunter underwater. You can either get it in the 8 inch coil or the 12 inch. These are great light weight detectors with all the controls in the headphones. They have just upgraded this detector several months back and now have rechargables built in the headphones that you don't need to pull out. Charging the batteries right inside the ear cup. I have the old version and I love it for certain applications. It is very hot on gold. With the 2.4khtz that it runs on it is still hot on gold items and on fairly small items also. Many people put this machine off thinking it is just good for high conductors. Do not listen to them. Gary Storm knew what he was doing when he designed the circuitry for the head hunter.I have found my share with this awesome unit. Service is second to none. Very simple to use and has one tone which is all you need when water hunting. Good luck, Steve
May 31, 2015 05:56AM
Yep AT pro and HH underwater are great machines. I just recently got the underwater by detector pro, only used it afew times, it's a great machine. The AT pro on the other hand I've had for a few years and found plenty of gold jewelry with it. it'll find small gold too.

John
May 31, 2015 12:48PM
Tesoro is hard to beat, I am using a Tesoro Stingray II (predecessor to the Tiger Shark), it is more effective on small gold than my CZ-20 or Whites Surfmaster II.
May 31, 2015 01:24PM
Tesoro makes a great fresh water detector and if you can find a used Stingray or a singray ll you can't go wrong.
May 31, 2015 01:37PM
You might want to consider the new Fisher F44. It's "dunk-able" to some extent and a lot of detector for $350! It also takes all the coils from the "greek" series of Teknetics detectors pluse those from the Gold Bug Pro.

It may even prove usable on wet salt sand since it can manually ground balance all the way to salt. Noone has reported on this however since they don't ship till next week!

I have one on order to take to Norway with me in mid June. It can rain a lot there plus there are a couple of lake beaches I want to detect.

Rick Kempf
Gold Canyon AZ- where there is no gold
May 31, 2015 02:02PM
I agree with several of the posters for fresh water situations Tesoro's really love gold rings and excel at the small stuff also....
May 31, 2015 06:02PM
Thanks for the input. That will give me a few more detectors to research.
I Hadn't even considered the headhunter or older Tesoro's.
Is the Stingray considered a better machine than the new Tiger Shark?

Kenny. Why the AT Pro over the Gold?

Thanks
Bryan
May 31, 2015 08:01PM
Cabin Fever Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks for the input. That will give me a few more
> detectors to research.
> I Hadn't even considered the headhunter or older
> Tesoro's.
> Is the Stingray considered a better machine than
> the new Tiger Shark?
>
> Kenny. Why the AT Pro over the Gold?
>
> Thanks
> Bryan
My biggest issue with the Gold is you can't adjust any notches.

Kenny
[www.youtube.com]