Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

RACER talk sort of quiet

Posted by Keith Southern 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
RACER talk sort of quiet
June 03, 2015 02:07AM
what are yall thinking of the OOR 5" on the Racer..

I know alot of yall are using it now since the weather is nice..

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
Re: RACER talk sort of quiet
June 03, 2015 02:19AM
Best thing since slice bread in the heavy nails/iron. My hunting is restricted now with high weeds/grass/hay. I actually made a new friend tonite via tele. A detector dealer with boatloads of detecting experience. In our conservation, he stated just recently using Racer with small OOR coil, he was in a nightmare of a nightmare site with iron/nails. He said he ran his ID filter at 80 and was pulling coins. I like mine and he evidently likes his. This fall and winter, the real performance I feel will come to light with some nice finds in some really sloppy sites. Sites, once ran away from.
June 03, 2015 02:32AM
Just tested the 5x10 and in two weeks I found some good finds now just have to edit the video..Miss my deus have hung in on the wall in my office till I am done playing witht he Racer and all of it's coils

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
June 03, 2015 02:37AM
As you travel around the different forums you can see a lot of people making excellent finds and some a lot of finds with the Racer. Actually both coils with the small one being in outer space performance wise. The thing that is common with most of them is they are finding a lot of stuff where they have hunted before. Me personally, I don't think there is a better machine, all arounder, with a heck of a kick, (5" coil) out there at this time. That's both the CoRe and the Racer. What several of us underestimated was how easy it was to use but...... You had to learn the audio period. If you were used to beep and dig well that's the results many got. If you listened and studied the audio report from the machines you were on another level performance wise. Quite a few machines were sold inside of a couple of weeks with people not satisfied with them. No matter who you are you can't learn a machines audio that quick. Another common factor is the ones who successfully learned the audio aren't digging hardly any trash. I'm sure once the grass dies off again this fall there will be more people reporting. I'm fixin to hit the water for a couple of months then back to the house lots.

Detectors used
Nokta FoRs CoRe, Makro R1, Makro R2X2, ETrac, 3030, Compadre, several others.
Obama put this country in the toilet, vote for Hilderbeast and she'll pull the handle

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/03/2015 02:39AM by Jack Flynn.
June 03, 2015 02:55AM
I went hunting today in front of an old house and found several clad quarters and pennies (no wheat-backs) with the Racer with 5" coil and three tone. Sens set at 95. Three tone seems to ID stuff better than two tone when coin-shooting in trash. I kept hoping for that glint of silver but it didn't happen for me today. Certainly not the fault of the Racer. More like my impatience I reckon. The Racer is a good detector. Especially with 5" coil installed.
June 03, 2015 02:58AM
Dangit, ya had to bring it back up Keith,lol.
June 03, 2015 03:06AM
Yeah Ray...

I was hoping in the last few weeks people who bought them had made some great finds or at least been happy with the unit with that coil combo...Summers coming and it will get quiet quick as alot of people dont hunt in the summer heat..

Oh well LOL Ray!!
Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
June 03, 2015 03:20AM
Keith we don't live that far apart, you been in the AC? Summers here where I'm at! Grass has killed my places in town so it's water time.
June 03, 2015 03:37AM
I hunt year round Jack..

I actually like the heat..Cant stand the cold though..

Jack it aint even Hot LOL low 90s..

Keith

Jack Flynn Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Keith we don't live that far apart, you been in
> the AC? Summers here where I'm at! Grass has
> killed my places in town so it's water time.

-Nikola Tesla
June 03, 2015 04:25AM
Yea Jack, green up got me as well but the finds I have had so far tells me to hang onto it. Can't wait for the relic spots to die off this fall.
June 03, 2015 04:47AM
I think racer talk has been quiet because we're out hunting! I'm still rather new and taking my time learning what it's telling me but I love how easy the Racer is to use. I really like the stock coil but in trashy parks around pavilions and basketball courts, the small coil is invaluable. It's almost like there are triple the targets to investigate.

I've been introducing my son to the hobby and he is using my old ACE 250, I enjoy working alongside him and going over the targets with Racer and telling him what it is before he digs and being right about 85% of the time. The small coil is amazing in trash!
June 03, 2015 06:52AM
There was a lot of hype going around and some amazing finds...I think both have run their course...
June 03, 2015 08:49AM
Detectorist Wrote:
> There was a lot of hype going around and some
> amazing finds...I think both have run their
> course...

run their course? Maybe the hype.
But not the amazing finds. Not by a long shot!

I'm in the dog days of detecting right now with heat, dry ground, and heavy growth.
Much adventure (and treasure) awaits!

Wayne

Pleasant Garden, NC
AT Max, Nokta Impact, MX Sport, Nokta FORS Relic, GPX 4800, Infinium, Racer, Deus, F75SE, Nautilus DMC II (order of acquisition, last to first)

Does an archeologist argue with a plow? A bureaucrat with a bulldozer?
June 03, 2015 10:45AM
I've seen some videos and comments about the Racer. Many of them have one phrase in common: "For the price it's a great detector." I don't find statements like this helpful at all, because either it is a great machine or not. Here is my question. Is there a better alternative for sites with iron and modern trash (in combination with 5" & 10x5" coils)? I don't care about TID numbers or notch features. I'm listening only to the audio anyway (using the Deus right now). Could it be the right machine for me, or is there something "better" in this category? I'm asking, because people that are saying, "...for the price" somehow never name the better but more expensive machines.
June 03, 2015 10:52AM
Keith Southern Wrote:
> Yeah Ray...
>
> I was hoping in the last few weeks people who
> bought them had made some great finds or at least
> been happy with the unit with that coil
> combo...Summers coming and it will get quiet quick
> as alot of people dont hunt in the summer heat..
>
> Oh well LOL Ray!!
> Keith
Yeah, I do heat better than cold too.

Off topic, but let me give you an idea what a wussy state I live in. Got the new regulations from my eorkmans comp carrier. I now MUST provide shade for breaks every 2 hours if the temp is above 80! LOL!!! And I must closely monitor any new hires for 14 days to make sure theyacclimate well.

And they wonder why businesses leave in droves from Kalifornia.
June 03, 2015 11:32AM
deathray Wrote:

Off topic, but let me give you an idea what a
> wussy state I live in. Got the new regulations
> from my eorkmans comp carrier. I now MUST provide
> shade for breaks every 2 hours if the temp is
> above 80! LOL!!! And I must closely monitor any
> new hires for 14 days to make sure theyacclimate
> well.
>
> And they wonder why businesses leave in droves
> from Kalifornia.

LoL

I wouldn't be wanting to deal with that BS Ray!

I'm a slave driver = work thru lunch, no breaks, etc! lol

Most guys don't like workin with me cuz they can't hang = wussies

My take is this = why stretch a freekin day out to 8 hrs with a lunch and 2 breaks just to get the same amount of work done that you can/do when you show up around 9 and bust azz for 6 hrs and then go home and have the rest of the day to yourself!?

That gives me 2 extra hrs ea day 5 days a week = 10 hrs per week extra/free for diggin!

That's how I like to roll but noooo - gotta give the crybabies a lunch break and wa wa wa snif snif snif I need food/rest! lol
June 03, 2015 12:01PM
I have been absolutely killing relics with mine. About 15 civil war buttons, nothing crazy mostly general service with the best being 4 officer coats and one officer cuff out of a iron infested house site. Interesting site as there are many heavily corroded large nails and an abundance of cut nails that must be some type of alloy as they have zero rust, just oxidized. Very challenging for any machine but the racer is doing great. Mostly w/the large coil, but the hockey puck has produced I just haven't used it that much as there are many deep targets. I have trouble deciphering mid tones and low in D3, so I mainly just run D2 on old sites as all I care about is ferrous or non. Ive seen some good depth at times with 3 Indians at 9/10" in dry ground. Last week I dug the back off a coat button at 9" that the unit pounced on, surprised me.

Machine does great for me on all sites I hunt w/the exception of one spot choked w/bottle caps. Ive had a few units do much better there, DD and concentric coil equipped. My buddy who's a maestro w/his deus threw his arms up and moved off the spot. Ive tried a few times and read all the tips, very well could be me. Some of them just seem to have that crisp dig me tone. Not a big deal, I have an explorer for those type sites lol. At any rate the racer performs great in house sites, school yards, and general covering ground swing fast applications. I'm very happy.
June 03, 2015 12:22PM
Good Lord, you get 2 hrs for breaks in 8 hrs? We just get 50 mins break for 8 hours. Two 10 min breaks and a 30 min lunch. They deduct it from your pay whether you take em or not. Some times I have a machine down and don't get to take my breaks. Even though we dont get paid for working through them, they almost expect us to do so when a machine is down.
June 03, 2015 01:16PM
I have not hunted this year the way I wanted to. With parent issues, working overtime, and very dry weather here in PA. I hunt lawns and dry weather = do not dig. Well it rained about 3 inches the last day and a half so one problem is solved.

I had my Racer up for sale. I dropped it to a ridiculous low price on various forums and it just didn't sell. Well I got tired of it all and just put the Racer back in the box.

During the period I did use it I had the impression that it was a detector for the worst iron fields I encounter. Like a tool for a special purpose. I think other detectors especially the FBS brands ID targets better in the cleaner areas. I also think the FBS units in my dirt are deeper. So I think the Racer with an FBS unit would make a hell of a pair of detectors.

Trouble is I also have the Deus. I think the amount of targets I miss with the Deus and find with the Racer would be minimal. They are both built for speed in iron and just too similar to justify both in my arsenal. With the rumors of a smaller Deus coil and a new update ( of course XP does things when they are darn good and ready) I would sell the Racer while it was a current model. Basically before Makro releases something else.

Well it didn't sell and I still have it. I have it payed for so it isn't costing me a dime more.

Now the kicker. Some very good hunters on this forum and others stand by their Racer statements. I intend to get it back out and use it again. I am never afraid to admit that I was wrong. I want to see and feel what the men that I respect in the hobby see and feel about this special Racer.
June 03, 2015 01:33PM
Used my Racer Sunday 5" coil pulling coins out mixed in with iron. Best in iron I have ever used!thumbs down
June 03, 2015 02:09PM
No Daniel,and we commonly work 10-12 hour days...Im the employer, I have to give-ten min breaks every 2 hours, provide shade if "a heat wave above 80", provide fresh, clean, reasonablt cool water...oh and starting july first, have to give sick pay, which can accumalate. Liberals whove never done any labor, trying to make themselves feel good. Kalifornia is a dry climate, its not a heatwave untill its over 100. Ive personally worked in 116 degree heat. PANSYS!! Thanks for letting me rant, sorry about the hijack.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/03/2015 02:11PM by deathray.
June 03, 2015 02:28PM
Goodmore's assessment is rewarding. As most are.

Metal detecting and detectorist. What could we say? Folks want to find stuff, more so items of some intrinsic value, not junk. Could a person with any detector and small coil hit the sites and find boatloads of nice/good finds in a relatively short period of time? I seriously doubt it, this just from perspective on the size of coil (small) being swept over the ground. I think it would be fair to say, most standing churches, old schools, parks, old houses for example have been detected, some many times. Even the ones torn down through location research.

So we as detectorist are left basically with 2 things needed to get targets--more depth or better unmasking/separation. So far lately the depth thingy hasn't materialized, but this separation/unmasking (whatever you want to call it) has been I think answered--a metered machine no doubt. A detector that is to me very easy to set up and run. Not much guess work to get near peak to peak performance. And I think a reasonable price.

The Racer and small coil is fast. But I feel it being reported as "fast" sorta led some folks into a false sense. Yes the detector is fast, but slow, meticulous coil movement is still necessary. Remember your ears/brain can only process so much data at one time, and the detector is the same way. The small OOR coil is a knife in my book, a real slicer in the iron/nails/trash. But it needs ample time (this made for by slower coil movement) to at times depending on the ground target (made up of both iron/good targets/trash) matrix to give (provide) a signal that will alert the user. Some on hear I'm sure have read about and even used/seen the minelab wiggle. A procedure that was necessary using those detectors for basically the same reason.

So for the new users or folks thinking about getting a Racer. Two recommendations: First, get the small coil-it's dynamite and really this is where IMO the real performance when compared to other detectors shines.---top notch can hunt behind many/most other detector/coil setups.
Second, watch your sweep speed/coil movement. The small coil can be crept more so than swept in the trash/iron/nail sites and produce. Have patience, when hunting your sites the goods if there will surface, will all ?? Probably not. But based on my experiences with both the Nokta CoRe and Makro Racer both with small coils, I've been impressed. As a matter a fact so far I can say taking the CoRe or Racer with small OOR coil into sites hard hunted with good detecting history, I have been able to find at least one nice find on each and every site. And my time I might add was limited on hunting the sites.

If the Nokta CoRe and Makro Racer detectors are only preludes of what's to come from the Makro/Nokta folks, we as detectorist in the future are in for some real enjoyment and surprises.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/03/2015 04:27PM by tnsharpshooter.
June 03, 2015 03:37PM
So what happened to the word men at work Ray?

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
June 03, 2015 03:58PM
nice machine but waiting till they get the wifi phones sorted better ,WS5s are just fine even tho the TID is not good
June 03, 2015 04:20PM
Hey Keith,

Was thinking of getting a Racer the other day, Was at an old site up in Gold Country giving a friend sessions. First hunt for the newbie by the way, She was using my Deus and that's when it hit me maybe the Racer has user friendly features making it easier for new comers to the hobby to get an early grasp. Plus, Price is great maybe the Racer would be a good machine as a loaner or backup.

I actually didn't hunt, Was walking beside her as she swung the coil. Coaching her along the way, The only time I touched the Deus was to show her how to get a stronger signal from the target she had located. Surprisingly, She did well dug five Chinese cache coins, One Powder Flask spout with lever still attached, Henry shell, Musket/pistol balls, flat buttons and two old 1840/50's buckle's.

Going again Friday, This time she's on her own I'm going to find my own relics. Plus, Located two new sites. Zillions of square nails and enormous amounts of hand forged iron, Have an old book from the 1850's and mentions two settlements in this area think I found them based from the abundance of square nails and hand forged iron.

Yes indeed, Just may get a Racer smiling bouncing smiley

Paul
June 03, 2015 05:04PM
"Sssshhhhhhhh...keep it quiet...I'm typing up my Test Report findings.......!"
June 03, 2015 05:12PM
I have a lot of sites lined up to detect over the fall/winter (high grass heights and snakes make it prohibitive now)....I need to find some worthwhile summer sites to pursue (time to go into research mode!).

I too feel the Racer is a bit of a specialized machine. Not that it cannot hunt anywhere, certainly it can, but for it to work it's magic, it almost needs specific conditions, else it's similar to the F75 and AT pro, but lets be honest, that's not exactly a bad thing, the F75 and ATP are world-renowned machines.
June 03, 2015 05:18PM
Lawrenzo Wrote:
> So what happened to the word men at work Ray?

Your favorite band?
June 03, 2015 05:37PM
Old California Wrote:
> Hey Keith,
>
> Was thinking of getting a Racer the other day,
> Was at an old site up in Gold Country giving a
> friend sessions. First hunt for the newbie by the
> way, She was using my Deus and that's when it hit
> me maybe the Racer has user friendly features
> making it easier for new comers to the hobby to
> get an early grasp. Plus, Price is great maybe
> the Racer would be a good machine as a loaner or
> backup.
>
> I actually didn't hunt, Was walking beside her as
> she swung the coil. Coaching her along the way,
> The only time I touched the Deus was to show her
> how to get a stronger signal from the target she
> had located. Surprisingly, She did well dug five
> Chinese cache coins, One Powder Flask spout with
> lever still attached, Henry shell, Musket/pistol
> balls, flat buttons and two old 1840/50's
> buckle's.
>
> Going again Friday, This time she's on her own I'm
> going to find my own relics. Plus, Located two
> new sites. Zillions of square nails and enormous
> amounts of hand forged iron, Have an old book from
> the 1850's and mentions two settlements in this
> area think I found them based from the abundance
> of square nails and hand forged iron.
>
> Yes indeed, Just may get a Racer smiling bouncing smiley
>
> Paul

Paul I'd be happy to meet up with you and let you try out the Racer first hand.

It would definitely be a great machine for a beginner, a loaner, or a good backup machine. Really a turn on and go machine that can produce great results, or one that you can invest a bit more time into to get even better results.

hh,
Brian
June 03, 2015 07:53PM
That would be great Brian,

Most likely I'll get a Racer soon, It has it's strong points that is were it will be used most. We'll touch more on this and get together, If not soon in the fall.

By the way, Congratulations smiling smiley

HH, Paul (Ca)