Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

And the first Minelab GoFind 60 hits the classifieds w/only one hour on it smoking smiley

Posted by Cal_cobra 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
And the first Minelab GoFind 60 hits the classifieds w/only one hour on it smoking smiley
June 05, 2015 10:03PM
If that doesn't speak volumes eh?

[www.thetreasuredepot.com]
Re: And the first Minelab GoFind 60 hits the classifieds w/only one hour on it smoking smiley
June 05, 2015 10:32PM
This happens though with new detector's as some people get compulsive. I hate to admit it,But I have bought a new detector assembled it did some air test and decided I didn't want it put it back in the box and sold it with out going in the field with it. I know it sounds crazy,But I have done it before.
Re: And the first Minelab GoFind 60 hits the classifieds w/only one hour on it smoking smiley
June 05, 2015 10:52PM
If you trust videos at all, then what I saw was a very slow recovery speed, the coil would be halfway over the target before the GoFind would beep. That's a much slower recovery than even an Ace two fitty....lol
June 05, 2015 11:00PM
I got two of the 40s for my sons and can say the delayed signal I saw in the pre release videos are gone. The machine feels cheap but I do have to say its not too bad at all.. I am very happy with the units for what they cost and both my boys are loving them. here was a quick video I did for a friend...

[youtu.be]
June 05, 2015 11:50PM
I saw the slow recovery speeds on the 60 in the videos and they depth isn't very good, it would ID a quarter at 7" as iron.....a quarter is a pretty big signal, so that kind of killed the GoFind 60 for me.... I'll probably end up getting a Fisher F44 for my wife....looks like a better overall unit for about the same $$$, plus I can do some fresh water lake hunting with it cool smiley
June 06, 2015 01:41PM
I can understand Minelab wanting to get in the lower priced detector market. But what I can't understand is why try and market a go find 20/40/60. Don't seem to be much price difference. I mean $50 difference between the 20 and 40 model and then add $80 more for the Go find 60 model. In today's economy $50 aint much imo. Minelab may have overdid it a bit with 3 models with little cost difference. Were they trying to follow Garrett with the Ace 150/250/350??? We know Garrett was successful with them. Maybe in the end Minelab will be too. I wish everyone happy trails/hunting with their new Go Finds.
June 06, 2015 02:16PM
tnsharpshooter Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I can understand Minelab wanting to get in the
> lower priced detector market. But what I can't
> understand is why try and market a go find
> 20/40/60. Don't seem to be much price difference.
> I mean $50 difference between the 20 and 40 model
> and then add $80 more for the Go find 60 model.
> In today's economy $50 aint much imo. Minelab may
> have overdid it a bit with 3 models with little
> cost difference. Were they trying to follow
> Garrett with the Ace 150/250/350??? We know
> Garrett was successful with them. Maybe in the
> end Minelab will be too. I wish everyone happy
> trails/hunting with their new Go Finds.
Out of the 150/250 and 350 I would bet the 250 is sold 20 X's more than the other 2 combined. I don't like the 350's categorization of the notches just to expand on the iron range. I don't like the 150 because of no pinpoint. So for me the Ace 250 is the real winner here.
The GO-FIND has been released in a market where there are a ton of choices. Let's face it other than the rod set up most other machines in that price range have more user options, faster response and go deeper according to the vids I've seen on the GF.
I will say that to the 1st time buyer that hasn't done their due diligence side by side would probably choose the GF over other machines because it looks cool and there is mention of a smart phone app. These users probably don't know about forums or even how to really compare one machine to another as far as performance.
I personally feel that ML should have been working on a lightweight FBS machine instead of trying to squeeze into a crowded market full of better performers.

Kenny
[www.youtube.com]
June 06, 2015 05:33PM
I downloaded the iPhone version of their GoFind smartphone app....pretty sad...it looks like it will let you GPS tag targets, that's OK, but then it allows you to assign crazy sounds (aka ring tones) to your TID icons, and play music while detecting.
June 06, 2015 07:57PM
you guys are tough...lol. I think its pretty impressive they put a backlight and auto tracking ground balance on them...what other machines currently available offer those features at that price? I guess I like to try and look at the good points of machines more so than look for things I dont like. I will say they do feel cheap though...lol
June 06, 2015 08:18PM
I think they are pathetic toys. But I would like to thank Minelab. The competition was building out there, but anyone who buys one of these cheap toys will be turned off to the hobby forever.
June 06, 2015 08:42PM
goodmore Wrote:
> I think they are pathetic toys. But I would like
> to thank Minelab. The competition was building out
> there, but anyone who buys one of these cheap toys
> will be turned off to the hobby forever.

No offense goodmore but that is completely untrue. They are actually pretty darn neat... Are they a ctx? Nope.... But my boys like them better than either the compadre or 305s they had..
bigboar Wrote:
> you guys are tough...lol. I think its pretty
> impressive they put a backlight and auto tracking
> ground balance on them...what other machines
> currently available offer those features at that
> price? I guess I like to try and look at the good
> points of machines more so than look for things I
> dont like. I will say they do feel cheap
> though...lol
The new whites detectors in that price range have auto track. However I woud rather have the expanded tid on the rest of the low end detectors over tha go find's ground tracking. I prefer manual systems to automatic ones.
Cal_cobra Wrote:
> I saw the slow recovery speeds on the 60 in the
> videos and they depth isn't very good, it would ID
> a quarter at 7" as iron.....a quarter is a pretty
> big signal, so that kind of killed the GoFind 60
> for me.... I'll probably end up getting a Fisher
> F44 for my wife....looks like a better overall
> unit for about the same $$$, plus I can do some
> fresh water lake hunting with it cool smiley

I think I could get a non ferrous, if not high tone, reading on that with my ace 250, especially with the 8.5x11 dd. That's another thing I don't like about the go finds; no interchangeable coils.
June 06, 2015 09:39PM
and that is where adults and I think alot of young kids differ. I know my 11yr olds much prefer the icons. There are many nice lowend detectors coming out. We all have our own opinions...I let my boys have their choice and I actually dont fault their decision at all. I wasnt actually expecting much when I got them and came away pleasantly surprised. I am not saying its some awesome machine or anything but for less than $200 each the 40 is worth it in my opinion.
I personally would rather live with the icons and have the quick collapse/extend system over the expanded tid myself but once again just a personal opinion and its more important to me for what I would use it for. I will be putting one of them in my backpack every so often when I am scouting a new 1200 acre property I have permission to hunt. There were supposed to be a few structures there long ago. Once I find them I will go back in with the ctx/racer..
June 06, 2015 09:40PM
So far it looks like the F44 has more usable features than the GF. It also has a backlite, ground track, more TID's, optional coils, more notches, tone assignments etc. Plus it's just as lightweight and costs the same. Plus it's said it will GB to wet sand.

Kenny
[www.youtube.com]
June 07, 2015 02:03AM
Dale,
I'm glad your boys are enjoying their new detectors. I think it speaks volumes about you getting your children involved with detecting. I'm glad minelab got into the lower end market. Good for them. I wasn't questioning the quality/performance of their new releases, only for having so many. We as adults or even moderate to super experienced detectorist need to remember we all at one time started from somewhere. And I'll bet most of us didn't start with a flagship model detector either. I only wish I could have gotten started at 11 years old.
June 07, 2015 03:01AM
Would I want a Gofind or any other entry level machine for my own use ...not a chance but I have some grandkids that would love them and that is a good thing in my book. They have a blast with a Fisher F2 digging clad and I suspect the Gofind will be a good fit.
June 07, 2015 03:27AM
The Ace 250 was for kids. But it worked so well experienced hunters bought one as a back up or main machine. I would speculate that most of the Ace 250 sales were not to beginners. I'm positive this is what drove and is still driving Ace sales. I don't see this happening with the GF. Sure it's OK for kids but in reality for most of us buying it as a back up or say a jewelry machine isn't going to happen. So I don't see the GF family doing well. Just my thoughts and yours will vary...

Kenny
[www.youtube.com]
June 07, 2015 03:33AM
tnsharpshooter Wrote:
> Dale,
> I'm glad your boys are enjoying their new
> detectors. I think it speaks volumes about you
> getting your children involved with detecting.
> I'm glad minelab got into the lower end market.
> Good for them. I wasn't questioning the
> quality/performance of their new releases, only
> for having so many. We as adults or even moderate
> to super experienced detectorist need to remember
> we all at one time started from somewhere. And
> I'll bet most of us didn't start with a flagship
> model detector either. I only wish I could have
> gotten started at 11 years old.

I understood what you were saying tn. I didnt/dont take any of the comments personal. It was the right choice for my boys and everybodies experience will vary.
June 07, 2015 03:38AM
khouse Wrote:
> The Ace 250 was for kids. But it worked so well
> experienced hunters bought one as a back up or
> main machine. I would speculate that most of the
> Ace 250 sales were not to beginners. I'm positive
> this is what drove and is still driving Ace sales.
> I don't see this happening with the GF. Sure
> it's OK for kids but in reality for most of us
> buying it as a back up or say a jewelry machine
> isn't going to happen. So I don't see the GF
> family doing well. Just my thoughts and yours
> will vary...

In my opinion with what you are saying about the ace250 then the gf should do well. will it, who knows..but I know if i were offered an ace250 or the gf40 we now have I would take the gf without a second thought.. I have also owned an ace in the past.

quick question for all commenting... how many have you have tried/used a gf. I am only talking about the 40 as its the only one I have...
June 07, 2015 04:27AM
bigboar Wrote:
> khouse Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > The Ace 250 was for kids. But it worked so
> well
> > experienced hunters bought one as a back up or
> > main machine. I would speculate that most of
> the
> > Ace 250 sales were not to beginners. I'm
> positive
> > this is what drove and is still driving Ace
> sales.
> > I don't see this happening with the GF. Sure
> > it's OK for kids but in reality for most of us
> > buying it as a back up or say a jewelry machine
> > isn't going to happen. So I don't see the GF
> > family doing well. Just my thoughts and yours
> > will vary...
>
> In my opinion with what you are saying about the
> ace250 then the gf should do well. will it, who
> knows..but I know if i were offered an ace250 or
> the gf40 we now have I would take the gf without a
> second thought.. I have also owned an ace in the
> past.
>
> quick question for all commenting... how many have
> you have tried/used a gf. I am only talking about
> the 40 as its the only one I have...
I have never swung a GF. This is only from what videos I've seen. So I am guilty of hearsay. So like I say in some of my posts. This is just my opinion. Most all videos on youtube are from K-co. The ones about the most interesting detectorists are stupid. I don't see them marketing to kids at all. I haven't seen a good video on one yet. Some have music playing over so loud you can't hear anything. Some don't show the machine in action but do show dug targets and how nice the machine is. So maybe you can post some good videos of the reset time, accuracy and depth of the machine. Plus the build quality especially if it has a flimsy shaft design.
This is just one of many stupid videos on YT. I guess you just insert a 10 year old boy here? I don't know but it looks like if I want to get some side action I need a Go-Find? [www.youtube.com]

Kenny
[www.youtube.com]
June 07, 2015 04:44AM
I will try to do some quick ones kh. we are in st. augustine for the next week so I will try to do a couple down on the beach if I can. I will also show that yes, to me it does feel cheap and the shaft is concerning over the long haul the arm cuff slides out on notches and the lower shaft just pulls into place so I assume it is a plastic notch also. I definately wonder how that will be after mutiple uses/slides. I can say though that those early videos I saw also, the machine had a bad delay but our 40s dont. I will see if i can get the chance to bury some targets at certain depths and film trying to hit them...

khouse Wrote:
> bigboar Wrote:
> -----
> > khouse Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > The Ace 250 was for kids. But it worked so
> > well
> > > experienced hunters bought one as a back up
> or
> > > main machine. I would speculate that most of
> > the
> > > Ace 250 sales were not to beginners. I'm
> > positive
> > > this is what drove and is still driving Ace
> > sales.
> > > I don't see this happening with the GF.
> Sure
> > > it's OK for kids but in reality for most of
> us
> > > buying it as a back up or say a jewelry
> machine
> > > isn't going to happen. So I don't see the GF
> > > family doing well. Just my thoughts and
> yours
> > > will vary...
> >
> > In my opinion with what you are saying about
> the
> > ace250 then the gf should do well. will it, who
> > knows..but I know if i were offered an ace250
> or
> > the gf40 we now have I would take the gf without
> a
> > second thought.. I have also owned an ace in
> the
> > past.
> >
> > quick question for all commenting... how many
> have
> > you have tried/used a gf. I am only talking
> about
> > the 40 as its the only one I have...
> I have never swung a GF. This is only from what
> videos I've seen. So I am guilty of hearsay. So
> like I say in some of my posts. This is just my
> opinion. Most all videos on youtube are from
> K-co. The ones about the most interesting
> detectorists are stupid. I don't see them
> marketing to kids at all. I haven't seen a good
> video on one yet. Some have music playing over so
> loud you can't hear anything. Some don't show the
> machine in action but do show dug targets and how
> nice the machine is. So maybe you can post some
> good videos of the reset time, accuracy and depth
> of the machine. Plus the build quality especially
> if it has a flimsy shaft design.
> This is just one of many stupid videos on YT. I
> guess you just insert a 10 year old boy here? I
> don't know but it looks like if I want to get some
> side action I need a Go-Find?
> [www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/07/2015 04:45AM by bigboar.
June 07, 2015 04:46AM
It would be a great help for all if you post some good videos. It may put some issues to rest? Thanks..
bigboar Wrote:
> I will try to do some quick ones kh. we are in
> st. augustine for the next week so I will try to
> do a couple down on the beach if I can. I will
> also show that yes, to me it does feel cheap and
> the shaft is concerning over the long haul the arm
> cuff slides out on notches and the lower shaft
> just pulls into place so I assume it is a plastic
> notch also. I definately wonder how that will be
> after mutiple uses/slides. I can say though that
> those early videos I saw also, the machine had a
> bad delY but our 40s dont. I will see if i can get
> the chance to bury some targets at certain depths
> and film trying to hit them...
>
> khouse Wrote:
> -----
> > bigboar Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > khouse Wrote:
> > >
> >
>
> >
> > > -----
> > > > The Ace 250 was for kids. But it worked so
> > > well
> > > > experienced hunters bought one as a back up
> > or
> > > > main machine. I would speculate that most
> of
> > > the
> > > > Ace 250 sales were not to beginners. I'm
> > > positive
> > > > this is what drove and is still driving Ace
> > > sales.
> > > > I don't see this happening with the GF.
> > Sure
> > > > it's OK for kids but in reality for most of
> > us
> > > > buying it as a back up or say a jewelry
> > machine
> > > > isn't going to happen. So I don't see the
> GF
> > > > family doing well. Just my thoughts and
> > yours
> > > > will vary...
> > >
> > > In my opinion with what you are saying about
> > the
> > > ace250 then the gf should do well. will it,
> who
> > > knows..but I know if i were offered an
> ace250
> > or
> > > the gf40 we now have I would take the gf
> without
> > a
> > > second thought.. I have also owned an ace in
> > the
> > > past.
> > >
> > > quick question for all commenting... how many
> > have
> > > you have tried/used a gf. I am only talking
> > about
> > > the 40 as its the only one I have...
> > I have never swung a GF. This is only from
> what
> > videos I've seen. So I am guilty of hearsay.
> So
> > like I say in some of my posts. This is just my
> > opinion. Most all videos on youtube are from
> > K-co. The ones about the most interesting
> > detectorists are stupid. I don't see them
> > marketing to kids at all. I haven't seen a good
> > video on one yet. Some have music playing over
> so
> > loud you can't hear anything. Some don't show
> the
> > machine in action but do show dug targets and
> how
> > nice the machine is. So maybe you can post
> some
> > good videos of the reset time, accuracy and
> depth
> > of the machine. Plus the build quality
> especially
> > if it has a flimsy shaft design.
> > This is just one of many stupid videos on YT. I
> > guess you just insert a 10 year old boy here?
> I
> > don't know but it looks like if I want to get
> some
> > side action I need a Go-Find?
> > [www.youtube.com]

Kenny
[www.youtube.com]
June 09, 2015 02:28AM
ok, just came back from actually swinging one of them for a bit...definately not the strongest feeling set up. you can feel wobble, its not completely terrible but definately feels cheap.I only had 2 targets. found an ate up penny and a sinker. I never had any delayed respone problem and the pinpoint I found worked best for me if I actually swung over the target and when the bars got to the most solid position I looked where the opening in the center bars of the coil was. If i did that and took a scoop my target was there. It is definately not a machine I would want to have to swing all the time:laughing: I will however have no problem using it as a scout machine and having it in my backpack while heading through the woods looking for spots. Like I stated earlier, both my boys really like them and after using one, I have to agree that it is more suited towards the young ones..It is a cool concept, but I would be disappointed if I had to swing one all the time...did I mention how cheap it feels?:laughing: The only way I would recommend it is if you need the portability and even then only if you are trying to find a spot and then go back in with a better machine...

here is a quick video I did do with a dime just airtesting showing that I do not have any delayed response on a target

[youtu.be]

also, it should be no problem really with sand hanging the rods up. my boys have been using theirs for a few days here on vacation now and I decided to have a look. Thevtop white cover(gray on the 60) can easily be removed by taking a credit card and sliding it in along the lower edge on each side and it will pop up off the unit. you can then see the middle rod and take air and blow it out.
June 09, 2015 03:21AM
bigboar Wrote:
> ok, just came back from actually swinging one of
> them for a bit...definately not the strongest
> feeling set up. you can feel wobble, its not
> completely terrible but definately feels cheap.I
> only had 2 targets. found an ate up penny and a
> sinker. I never had any delayed respone problem
> and the pinpoint I found worked best for me if I
> actually swung over the target and when the bars
> got to the most solid position I looked where the
> opening in the center bars of the coil was. If i
> did that and took a scoop my target was there. It
> is definately not a machine I would want to have
> to swing all the time:laughing: I will however
> have no problem using it as a scout machine and
> having it in my backpack while heading through the
> woods looking for spots. Like I stated earlier,
> both my boys really like them and after using
> one, I have to agree that it is more suited
> towards the young ones..It is a cool concept, but
> I would be disappointed if I had to swing one all
> the time...did I mention how cheap it
> feels?:laughing: The only way I would recommend it
> is if you need the portability and even then only
> if you are trying to find a spot and then go back
> in with a better machine...
>
> here is a quick video I did do with a dime just
> airtesting showing that I do not have any delayed
> response on a target
>
> [youtu.be]
>
> also, it should be no problem really with sand
> hanging the rods up. my boys have been using
> theirs for a few days here on vacation now and I
> decided to have a look. Thevtop white cover(gray
> on the 60) can easily be removed by taking a
> credit card and sliding it in along the lower edge
> on each side and it will pop up off the unit. you
> can then see the middle rod and take air and blow
> it out.
Thanks for taking the time to post a video. I really believe I saw a pretty big signal delay. (could have been just the video?) When you slowed the coin down it seemed it was at the edge of the coil before there was a response. But the depth looked pretty darn good.
June 09, 2015 10:31AM
The 'fly in the ointment' has to be a LACK of numeric target ID's and just 4 Block Segments that signify the "class" of finds on the GF 60.
During some 'bench testing' the GF 60 on [ a range of common targets e.g. coins, tabs, rings, bulletts, shell cartridges etc it was perplexing to see or I should re-phrase that and say, "hear" some of [ the desirable targets ] to produce the Iron sound with the iron icon flashing and end result to a person [ with some experience ] would be to walk on resulting in [ a good find ] remaining in the ground waiting for a rank amateur with a GF 60 to walk by and not knowing the difference between sounds might also decide "not to" dig it based on what was read in the Instruction Manual.

So, for the GoFind 2 Series a suggestion would be to [ put back ] target ID's and allow a person to make an educated guess rather than the detector making [ an uneducated guess ] on your behalf.
bigboar Wrote:
I will however
> have no problem using it as a scout machine and
> having it in my backpack while heading through the
> woods looking for spots.
The only way I would recommend it
> is if you need the portability and even then only
> if you are trying to find a spot and then go back
> in with a better machine...
>
my G2 goes with me nicely kitted into a small backpack no problem....I do this once in a while with rides on my Tmax maxi scooter....
probably takes a single minute to either take it apart or re-assemble it...thus the portability argument for it is weak also...
I only see it as a young kids detector to get them interested...that's it....simply a marketing ploy but I'm ok with that...
The new F11, 22, and 44 look far better, esp the '44'....that would be my pick for a kid and would be useful for a long time...cheers...there's no slaw like canslaw....
June 09, 2015 12:20PM
canslawhero Wrote:
> bigboar Wrote:
> -----
> I will however
> > have no problem using it as a scout machine and
> > having it in my backpack while heading through
> the
> > woods looking for spots.
> The only way I would recommend it
> > is if you need the portability and even then
> only
> > if you are trying to find a spot and then go
> back
> > in with a better machine...
> >
> my G2 goes with me nicely kitted into a small
> backpack no problem....I do this once in a while
> with rides on my Tmax maxi scooter....
> probably takes a single minute to either take it
> apart or re-assemble it...thus the portability
> argument for it is weak also...
> I only see it as a young kids detector to get them
> interested...that's it....simply a marketing ploy
> but I'm ok with that...
> The new F11, 22, and 44 look far better, esp the
> '44'....that would be my pick for a kid and would
> be useful for a long time...cheers...there's no
> slaw like canslaw....

Its definately for the kids. Here is where I stand with it and why I will be keeping both the 40s.
(Long story made short)I have tried getting them both into detecting for over a year now. I bought them both compadres to start. They went once and then I never could get them to go again. I asked them why and both told me they hated it because all the did was dig, dig and dig. They couldnt figure out what not to dig. My thinking was to turn up the disc but they simply said they wanted a screen to help them. I then sold those and got them 305s and guess what? They went once. They wouldnt even give me the chance to try and teach them the meaning of the numbers....lol. As disappointed as I am in the gf after using it for myself last night, the big thing and I mean BIG is for the last few days my little buddies cannot wait until the evening to go out detecting. They absolutely love them. That in itself is worth way more than than what I spent for the two machines. It is nice to finally not have to go detecting by myself all the time finally...lol
June 09, 2015 12:57PM
khouse Wrote:

> Most all videos on youtube are from
> K-co. The ones about the most interesting
> detectorists are stupid. I don't see them
> marketing to kids at all. I haven't seen a good
> video on one yet. Some have music playing over so
> loud you can't hear anything. Some don't show the
> machine in action but do show dug targets and how
> nice the machine is.

Check out this channel. This guy has few very good videos about the GF: [www.youtube.com]
June 09, 2015 04:26PM
bigboar Wrote:
> canslawhero Wrote:
> -----
> > bigboar Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > I will however
> > > have no problem using it as a scout machine
> and
> > > having it in my backpack while heading
> through
> > the
> > > woods looking for spots.
> > The only way I would recommend it
> > > is if you need the portability and even then
> > only
> > > if you are trying to find a spot and then go
> > back
> > > in with a better machine...
> > >
> > my G2 goes with me nicely kitted into a small
> > backpack no problem....I do this once in a
> while
> > with rides on my Tmax maxi scooter....
> > probably takes a single minute to either take
> it
> > apart or re-assemble it...thus the portability
> > argument for it is weak also...
> > I only see it as a young kids detector to get
> them
> > interested...that's it....simply a marketing
> ploy
> > but I'm ok with that...
> > The new F11, 22, and 44 look far better, esp
> the
> > '44'....that would be my pick for a kid and
> would
> > be useful for a long time...cheers...there's no
> > slaw like canslaw....
>
>
> Its definately for the kids. Here is where I stand
> with it and why I will be keeping both the 40s.
> (Long story made short)I have tried getting them
> both into detecting for over a year now. I bought
> them both compadres to start. They went once and
> then I never could get them to go again. I asked
> them why and both told me they hated it because
> all the did was dig, dig and dig. They couldnt
> figure out what not to dig. My thinking was to
> turn up the disc but they simply said they wanted
> a screen to help them. I then sold those and got
> them 305s and guess what? They went once. They
> wouldnt even give me the chance to try and teach
> them the meaning of the numbers....lol. As
> disappointed as I am in the gf after using it for
> myself last night, the big thing and I mean BIG is
> for the last few days my little buddies cannot
> wait until the evening to go out detecting. They
> absolutely love them. That in itself is worth way
> more than than what I spent for the two machines.
> It is nice to finally not have to go detecting by
> myself all the time finally...lol
I see your point. Kids like flash not function. I see where it fills a niche.

Kenny
[www.youtube.com]