Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

First week with the Explorer 2

Posted by IDXMonster 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
First week with the Explorer 2
June 07, 2015 12:55AM
Not to sound ridiculous(this is supposed to be the intelligent detecting forum) this might be similar to breaking up with a really sweet girlfriend. She is the best you've had but has some faults that are critically wounding to a happy relationship. You only go around once,or so I've heard,so you'd want it to be the best you can make it,right? Well,let's begin.
I got my IDXPro bone stock and spent some 3 years with it. It's my first machine. I learned about detecting with it,met some people with it and found more coins with it than I can count. Last year it got modified with external TH,GB,tweaked the gain,etc. THAT in and of itself,changed things. Now I could dial it in to whatever piece of ground I was on and I found more OLD coins in the same places.
A fellow detectorist has had an ATPro for awhile and one thing he had that I didn't were different tones. I could still look at my display constantly and when it beeped it would put up an indication of what it might be. I gotta say,the IDXPro has a really honest TID at 6-7" in clean ground. I wanted tone ID,but in a machine that could separate AND go deep AND,an accurate indication of the target in question. Geez,I wasn't asking too much,was I? But,being almost exclusively an old silver/copper coin hunter,I had to make a change....from digging change.
We all find ourselves frequenting a lot of the same places,whether it's convenience or lack of options,we all do it,or have done it. The quote"don't go looking for good things in bad places" always makes my ears burn when I find myself at a place that hasn't produced,but in reality,really should. 2 farms that have been around since the 1870s....the IDX found nothing worth mentioning in MANY hunts and hours of persistence with different settings,coils,swing speeds....the only thing I wasn't doing was standing on my head and rubbing my belly. Zilch!
I thought about the iron and the odds...this much history,this much garbage iron,this long a history of habitation....it just didn't compute that no matter how careful people were or how poor they were,something must have gotten lost in all that time. Was it me? I'm a relative newbie to this thing. Was it the sun? Moon tides? Bad batteries? It's pretty obvious to ME....read,not necessarily YOU...that I needed to get a 30/30 for deer hunting and leave that .410 at home. Maybe then I'd have a shot....corny pun intended.
Farmer...it's time for the breakupsmiling smiley

I drove with my friend ATPro Wayne 2 hours one way to check out this EX2. I brought my secondary IDXPro to partial trade,I also gave 200 cash,so it's around a 425.00 deal,depending on how my machine was valued. To me,it was great because I didn't have to lay out the entire amount in cash,and...I still have my old girlfriend. She understands our relationship is only for fun,so it's all good. I saw it,the accessories and original box. The deal was done.
It was later in the afternoon last Saturday so I went to my regular hunting park,I hunt it every morning for an hour before work,and have done that for a long time. I also hunt it whenever I don't have access to other places where people are just too....present. Within 20 minutes the EX2 barfed out a silver Washington at 8" with a rusty nail head and piece of wire in the hole. I thought,"it's gotta be beginners luck,I PURPOSELY scanned this area thoroughly with the IDXPro as a proving ground!" I poked around a bit more but it was late so no more was found.
To get to the point,here's a list of places I've ransacked to DEATH,with no appreciable results....followed by the results of the EX2 completely stock and presets...slight bump in Sens

1870s farm,iron nail laden BADLY. general issue Eagle button,pendant with green stone,locket of some kind,1919 wheat
1870s farm garbage metal everywhere,some cleaner ground around the house. (2) 1918,(2) 1919,(2) 1920,(1) 1914,(1) 1916,(1) 1940,(1) 1957wheats,1903 Barber dime,1906 Barber
quarter.
Late 1800s country church. 1899 IH
Regularly hunted 1930s park. 1964 Washington quarter
School yard in adjoining town hunted heavily by myself and Wayne. 1940 wheat,1893 IH
I hope I haven't forgotten anything...Kenny?

To the best of my recollection I have around 10-12 hours into those hunts total,I didn't get out as much as I wanted in the first week,especially after it went so well immediately. Most of those things were found with factory presets,I still have relatively no idea what I'm doing,but I'm getting better at it.

Personally,here's what I think make the difference,though it has only my tiny mind to back it up,plus the finds I doubt I would have otherwise had. The DD coil for separation,FBS for however it works(I don't CARE how it works,I care THAT it works),a slower recommended sweep speed(I've been going about 2 fps), the high "chirp" that makes you investigate a signal further, coupled with the Smart Find screen and the cursor movements. I have also noticed IMMEDIATELY that the depth of every hole is deeper than my blade which is 6", and some have been the depth or deeper than my PP which is 9". That was VERY rare with the IDXPro,though it was possible in very mild ground on a quarter. I've also noticed that signals that were deep with anything else around were tough for the IDXPro to contend with,

Another reason I took the FBS leap,and possibly the biggest,was that I felt I needed a machine that had a reputation of going deep with accurate ID to avoid digging all kinds of UNNECESSARY holes. I don't mind digging holes,but I don't want to do it without the intended outcome most of the time. My IDXPro COULD be deep,but conditions had to be really right. I feel with the EX2,once I get to know it I could go to ANY site of mine and make it produce something I'm looking for,which is the whole point. When I go out and dig 5 coins,and not ONE is clad....well,that's almost worth the price of admission by itself.

Farmer,Bryanna,others...it's only one guys experience for a week. If you have a machine that YOU feel works for YOU,and you've taken the time to learn it well,then there's nothing wrong with staying the course. I feel I've taken the time to learn my IDXPro VERY well,only to have it IMMEDIATELY trumped by something else. But,if I never had that "something else" I'd never know the difference. Kinda like meeting that perfect new girl but keeping the old one's number.....

BTW,how does one change their username?....smiling smiley

Kevin
Re: First week with the Explorer 2
June 07, 2015 01:50AM
Great story IDX. You've only scratched the surface. With more experience with your new girl, you'll amp her up some. Then the deeper targets will see daylight once again. I like mine very much. I wished we lived close together. It would be a joy to hunt with you. It's only a matter of time and your new girl will be dialed in. And the best part is your not in for an arm and a leg, yet you have a deep seeker, with I think based on experience the best silver warbling machine ever made. That ole warble will definitely get your attention. Cheers

Look forward to more of your stories and feedback.

David
June 07, 2015 03:49AM
Super story and finds! It will truly make your old spots new again. Yes the easy silver and clad are gone. Now you will have to graduate from a Hobbyist to a Detectorist to squeak out those tough signals. I have had the fortune to find 2 spots in the last 3 years that have had little impact of other hunters. The one I remember the best was when I dug 22 CW bullets from an area of about 40 x 60 feet in one evening hunt. You will find those too. Although I have an etrac the Explorer is legendary. FYI: After cleaning out some spots with the etrac running auto sensitivity I went back with high manual sensitivity and pulled even more. I can tell your a dedicated hunter and will soon master the machine. Keep up the great work.

Kenny
[www.youtube.com]
June 07, 2015 06:47AM
See what just a couple more inches can do?!?!
June 07, 2015 11:47AM
Reminds me of when I started using the E-Trac. I went to some (not all) of the same spots I used other notable detectors at. Then the CTX gave me consistently another inch beyond the E-Trac. And then the Signum gave me another solid inch beyond the CTX. The E-Trac was the shot across the bow though and what a joy to hunt with (minus the poor balance and weight.)

It certainly is nice getting just a little more depth, sites just open up. The same can be said for a detector that separates substantially better.

Great story,
Albert
June 07, 2015 01:45PM
Now if they would only make a lighter version...

Now my story bought a used XS kept it in factory presets, raised the sens. into the low 20's and adjusted the threshold to like a buzzing bee and was off to an old deserted area that was once a religious organizations campground. Wow I sure tore up the ground as I didn't catch onto the pinpointing of the large double D coil which didn't matter as out in the boonies. Area had been gone over with many different units but managed 8 Wheaties, Merc from the 20's and a walking half. Indeed the preset with a couple of tweaks is still a powerful weapon. Unfortunately no matter how I adjusted it either hurt my arm or back. If you can handle the weight my friend your old girlfriend is going to be awful lonely.
June 07, 2015 02:06PM
NASA-Tom Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> See what just a couple more inches can do?!?!
Exactly what my wife's been saying.

Kenny
[www.youtube.com]
June 07, 2015 09:00PM
khouse Wrote:
> NASA-Tom Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > See what just a couple more inches can do?!?!
> Exactly what my wife's been saying.

I CANNOT believe you stole that Kenny,I was SO ready to go there.

Tom-It is really an eye opener for sure,and I'd believe it if I saw it with any other machine as well. Its nothing short of astounding....so far. I must use it for quite awhile longer to make sure it's not all a streak of ridiculous luck. I've gotten two deeper dime hits that to me were good,and had another guy with an ATPro and large stock coil check them too. He said he'd pass on both occasions. They were both clad dimes. He's good with his machine as far as I can tell,but it CANNOT separate like the FBS can,apparently. He has made some good finds though,that can obviously happen with any machine at the right site. The extra depth WITH ACCURACY is making the biggest difference right now for me.
June 08, 2015 11:10AM
Dan-Pa. Wrote:
> Now if they would only make a lighter version...
>
> Now my story bought a used XS kept it in factory
> presets, raised the sens. into the low 20's and
> adjusted the threshold to like a buzzing bee and
> was off to an old deserted area that was once a
> religious organizations campground. Wow I sure
> tore up the ground as I didn't catch onto the
> pinpointing of the large double D coil which
> didn't matter as out in the boonies. Area had been
> gone over with many different units but managed 8
> Wheaties, Merc from the 20's and a walking half.
> Indeed the preset with a couple of tweaks is still
> a powerful weapon. Unfortunately no matter how I
> adjusted it either hurt my arm or back. If you can
> handle the weight my friend your old girlfriend is
> going to be awful lonely.

Dan- The pinpointing especially around garbage is getting the best of me,I do need to get the hang of it. Just advancing a bit and retreating a bit seems to be the key,using the pinpoint function in some cases is just out of the question. I appreciate your many posts and honest,common sense thoughts on different things seemingly without bias. I'm trying desperately to do the same so as to give as accurate a picture of true experiences as I can. It is absolutely agreed that the EX2 could be lighter. If the terrain is right just floating the coil on the grass really helps me,but that's only a small part of the time. It's been said the different harnesses are just cumbersome and don't improve things much,it's a matter of just getting used to it I guess,taking breaks,etc. The LAST thing I want to do with this thing is take a break but I'm going to have to learn to. Thanks to you and others for the support and factual comments,it makes this forum stand out clearly from the others.

Kevin
IDXMonster ...soon to be "FBSMonster....
June 08, 2015 01:41PM
IDXMonster Wrote:
> Dan-Pa. Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Now if they would only make a lighter
> version...
> >
> > Now my story bought a used XS kept it in
> factory
> > presets, raised the sens. into the low 20's and
> > adjusted the threshold to like a buzzing bee
> and
> > was off to an old deserted area that was once a
> > religious organizations campground. Wow I sure
> > tore up the ground as I didn't catch onto the
> > pinpointing of the large double D coil which
> > didn't matter as out in the boonies. Area had
> been
> > gone over with many different units but managed
> 8
> > Wheaties, Merc from the 20's and a walking
> half.
> > Indeed the preset with a couple of tweaks is
> still
> > a powerful weapon. Unfortunately no matter how
> I
> > adjusted it either hurt my arm or back. If you
> can
> > handle the weight my friend your old girlfriend
> is
> > going to be awful lonely.
>
> Dan- The pinpointing especially around garbage is
> getting the best of me,I do need to get the hang
> of it. Just advancing a bit and retreating a bit
> seems to be the key,using the pinpoint function in
> some cases is just out of the question. I
> appreciate your many posts and honest,common sense
> thoughts on different things seemingly without
> bias. I'm trying desperately to do the same so as
> to give as accurate a picture of true experiences
> as I can. It is absolutely agreed that the EX2
> could be lighter. If the terrain is right just
> floating the coil on the grass really helps me,but
> that's only a small part of the time. It's been
> said the different harnesses are just cumbersome
> and don't improve things much,it's a matter of
> just getting used to it I guess,taking breaks,etc.
> The LAST thing I want to do with this thing is
> take a break but I'm going to have to learn to.
> Thanks to you and others for the support and
> factual comments,it makes this forum stand out
> clearly from the others.
>
> Kevin
> IDXMonster ...soon to be "FBSMonster....
Since you'll be hitting some good targets among bad (easy stuff is already gone) you may not be able to accurately PP a target. Just PP it in your minds eye and dig. Also there are lots of times I don't even use the PP feature on a clean target. I would say it's 50%

Kenny
[www.youtube.com]
June 08, 2015 02:43PM
This may help depending on the ground level...Put the coil on loose and let it just slide over the ground.
As far as pinpointing usually didn't even use the pinpoint function...just get the signal and drag the coil toward you until the signal stops...keep this spot in mind and do the same from another angle and you should pinpoint the target well. Just takes practice and after a while you should become quite proficient. Certainly different ways to pinpoint but this way seemed to work quite well.
As far as the contraptions they sell certainly work for some however all they do is take the weight off the small arm muscles and put them on the large muscles of the back, but be careful a sore arm is one thing but back problems can be serious and affect your daily life.
June 08, 2015 04:03PM
Great OP report Kevin. At some point in the very near future I'm going to try an FBS detector. This thread has been very helpful.
June 08, 2015 04:09PM
I'm glad your doing well.You may be aware but shortening the shaft as much as your comfortable and shorter sweeps right at your feet are easier on the body, and better in target dense areas anyway.

I stopped using the PP after about a month. Dan nailed it. Just learn to work the coil real tight back and forth over the tone either dragging it back or pushing it until it stops. You can get real surgical rotating if you wish but I'm pretty dang close just checking one way. Quickly switching over to auto sensitivity to check a target seems to help "tighten up a signal" and even help the display give a better target ID at times also. You will learn the double hit in time of a shallow target, due to the residual rx of the outer rings of the DD coil. When you encounter this just raise the coil and shimmy it back forth.

In time if you feel like you may keep the machine, you may look into some of the other coils. The 10x12 SEF in particular seems to run smoother at higher sense and deep targets just stop you dead in you're tracks, it also seperates very well for a big coil. The 13" ultimate is the deepest for coin size targets and light for its size, and the pro coil is light and said to be a hair more sensitive to smaller targets.
June 08, 2015 04:18PM
You can see in some of my vids that I stand in one place and move the coil NOT strait up and across but diagonal (45 degrees) to pinpoint either in the PP or disc mode. This makes the target response exactly the same each way for accuracy. This way (X) not this way (+) This is for DD coils and elliptical concentric. Round concentric it doesn't matter....

Kenny
[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/08/2015 04:20PM by khouse.
June 08, 2015 04:41PM
The Explorer II is a winner. I liked it better than the Explorer SE. Been thinking about another one myself but I can't get past the fact I can't get it repaired if it goes down.

I don't like to work it on a short rod as it hurts my neck so I kept the lower rod extended with the coil out in front of me which requires a little more arm and shoulder work that has to be watched as well.

Can't really knock their performance. They do what they do quite well.

Congrats on your new machine
HH
Mike
June 08, 2015 09:27PM
Mike --

Why do you like the 2 better than the SE? Did you use the SE with something other than the stock Slimline coil? Reason I ask is, I have an SE Pro, and usually run it with the 6x8 SEF or 13" Ultimate. I LOVE this machine, and can't imagine one much better. However, I have heard several folks say the EX2 (and some even say the XS) were "better" (deeper?) I LOVE the improvements (as I understand them) that were made to the SE's pinpoint function (ID available in pinpoint mode -- I have learned what I think are a few tricks in pinpoint mode to help differentiate between a deep rusty bent nail, and a deep coin, which to my eyes and ears can sound and ID similar).

Point is, I've considered buying an EX2 or XS as a backup unit (because of so many like yourself saying they were the best of the Explorer line), but I do love my SE Pro, and don't know if the less useful pinpoint on the earlier Explorers is offset by an improvement in performance. Any comments to that?

As to the OP -- your experiences are not "luck." You are using the Explorer for what the Explorers (all FBS machines actually) do best -- find deep silver and copper coins in turf, with superior tones and ID accuracy. You are doing outstanding, for just having it a short time. Wait until you really learn/understand what it's telling you. Then, once you have become very experienced at how deep, fringe-depth coins behave, sound, and ID -- try a 13" Ultimate coil, and watch your sites become "new" all over again...

Steve
June 12, 2015 03:19AM
The EX2 w/Pro coil was very hard to beat. Duplicate that platform after being put on a diet and I'd buy it tomorrow. The tones are wonderful.
June 12, 2015 03:39AM
Tones are better than even the SE Pro? Not the first time I've heard that, but interesting...

Have you used both the 2 and the SE? If so, was the "lesser" pinpoint function on the 2 a detriment, in your opinion, vs. that on the SE?

Steve
June 12, 2015 03:56AM
Sorry, no. Only the XS and Ex2.
June 12, 2015 04:26AM
Thanks, go-rebels.

Anyone else? Mike Hillis?

Steve
June 12, 2015 12:48PM
My albeit brief experience was the SE was a bit more likely to call a bent nail a high conductor tone w/a top right hit on the quick mask screen. Generally due to a mix of aluminum and iron on my sites Id run conductive sounds IM12 on the 2 or 24 on the SE. At this setting a nail would occasionally squeek through audio wise, (often broken sounding)
but would hit much more to the left on the screen. In other words you just arent fooled as often, I chased many of these signals with the 2 expecting to find a nail in the hole with a silver coin, but it just never happened on those signals.
June 13, 2015 06:40AM
deadlift -- interesting that you thought the SE would more likely call a bent nail a high conductor, than the 2. Were you using an SE Pro? If so, I wonder if it was the Pro coil partly to blame for that, versus the older 10 1/2" Minelab coil...??

Steve
June 13, 2015 01:13PM
This was an SE that a friend had slapped a procoil on steve. Not bagging on the SE, as it wasnt a major issue like some rigs (for me and my ability to interpret anyway). Its more a credit to how smooth the 2 is. On turf where you want to limit holes as much as possible I just appreciate the 2's accurate communication to my ears/eyes.
June 14, 2015 04:24AM
deadlift -- interesting. I have heard some say the Pro coil is hotter, but the cost being that it's more likely to read a deep rusty nail slightly more similar to a deep coin, at times. I have heard that after the "failure" in many peoples' eyes of the SE's slimline coil, versus the old 10 1/2 Minelab coils that Explorer hunters were used to on the XS and 2, that Minelab then created the "hotter" Pro coil. I wonder if -- had that SE been fitted with the 10 1/2" coil from an XS or 2, if it might have been a smoother performer. Just speculating, no idea. I just know that my experience is -- the "hotter" a coil (which is good), the more it will tend to make some nails sound a bit more "coiny!"

Steve
June 14, 2015 12:39PM
Findmall's Explorer page is 743 pages long. Ever imaginable question has been asked and answered there at some time. Use a Google search (not their search engine) with qualifiers and you'll find your answer.
June 14, 2015 08:04PM
It very well could be the pro coil Steve. I've had the same results w/the stock and 2 Sef's on the 2.
June 15, 2015 02:17AM
deadlift -- there's really a part of me that would like to try getting an old, inexpensive Explorer 2 for a backup machine. Again, my concern is that I've come to really love the SE Pro's "improved" pinpoint function. I'm not sure I'd want to try living without it, at this point.
June 15, 2015 02:33AM
I picked up an XS this past week. I used the E Trac and CTX but never an Explorer. This one was cheap enough to take a chance with. If it dies on me so be it. But I fired it up today and all seems well. I look forward to high pitch deep silver with it. I read most of the manual today and I'm at the point where I just need to start using it. I always felt guilty about leaving the $1800.00 CTX at home when I took the Deus dirt hunting or the Sovereign GT beach hunting. But this Explorer XS was bought to meet a certain need I was looking for. Just another tool like the Racer. Now I need to read those Explorer threads at Findmall.