Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Message for Thomas

Posted by panodrac 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Message for Thomas
July 31, 2010 10:54PM
Hello Thomas i have a minelab explorer do you have the best idea for getting the deepest signal as i only like the old coins the deeper the better. I have been sent here from the metaldetecting forum where he sings your praises

Patrick
Re: Message for Thomas
August 01, 2010 02:20AM
Though deep coins (the older the better) are great finds it sounds to me you are missing a lot of great relics by just digging coins

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
August 01, 2010 03:59AM
From my limited point of view, I would like to suggest two things;

First-Find other Explorer users in your area that Know The Terrain/Ground and can best assist you
for that specific Location-Minerlization etc.... (There are tons of detecting forums out there that are regional too.)

Second-Purchase the Inland Relic and Coin hunting DVD. You will find a TON of useful info
that apply's to ANY model detector. It's all about hunting SMARTER. You will be the wiser for it FOR SURE!

I would also pick up the new 2 DVD set as well. (While the price is still low) If you want to hunt smart, then the DVD's
are your first step. Listen to the person that sent you here.
H I H
Pete

***UPDATE*** See-Tom says it best! But I still strongly recomend the Inland Coin/Relic DVD. You will love it.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/02/2010 04:10AM by SilverPeter.
August 01, 2010 04:38PM
The deeper the coin (or any target......for that matter)................the less likely it'll ID properly. First step on the ML Explorer is to COME OUT OF SEMI-AUTO!!!!!.......and place Sensitivity in Manual mode. With the coil parallel to the ground......and about a foot above the ground.....find out how high you can place Sens......with 'some' mild chatter. You can perform a Freq search to find the best channel/operating Freq that presents the most stability.
Next.............run with minimum filters; on some Explorers....this is 'Audio-1'. Also, set the audio span to one of it's higher span levels......giving the most audio tone difference between low conductors-to-high conductors. In this config.......yes, the Explorer will sound like a 'Hill Billy Jug Band'............which will eventually become music to your ears.
I nearly recommend to never look at the X-Y Coordinate axis and/or Conductivity face plate screen; rather ........PAY ATTENTION to (nearly exclusively) the audio responses. This will also keep you from having your eyes glued to the faceplate (not a fun way to hunt). The faceplate data is a very distant secondary input to 'intelligence hunting'. Proportionately/percentage-wise......the faceplate will get you into more trouble......as compared to a set of seasoned, tuned ears/brain.....ESPECIALLY if you are in a heavy learning-curve with the detector.
Next...............set your 'iron mask' feature so as to hear medium-sized & large-sized iron..............only knocking out the small iron nails (and just barely). On the older Explorers, this may be Iron Mask -11 to -13. You may find 'Conductive' mode more 'audibly human intelligible'.

There are more 'nickel-&-dime' features/set-ups with the Explorer......of which you will (eventually) experiment with......for the personal preference fine-tuning to your likings.

Now...............comes the most important part. Dig a TON of deeper targets........and learn!!!...... With priority importance placed on "What did the target sound like....before I dug it". How much audio fluctuation as I rotated my body around the target whilst continuing to sweep. Can I find one particular spot where I can stand.......and sweep the target........where it sounded 'at its best'. When I dug the target..........did it meet/match expectations........or did I guess the 'conductivity' of the target incorrectly.

And now comes the painful/difficult statement. When you are truly a astute/good detectorist; You should find as many Buffalo nickels as Mercury dimes. You should find as many 'V' nickels as Barber dimes. You should find as many Shield nickels as Seated Liberty dimes. The ratio (in the real world) is almost exactly linear. xxxxxxxxxxxxx Why is this difficult?????? Because nickels are a fairly low conductive target ...... unlike most other denomination coins.

And again; DIG A LOT OF DEEP TARGETS!!!!
August 02, 2010 09:56PM
Just to let you know your message of wisdom i have taken on board about the settings and practising to dig deep signals . Its just that ferrous thing is niggling me. I trust your judgement with the conductivity approach as that is what i normally use but why ferrousfor some and conductive for others are the tones different as well

Sorry for being like an inquisitive child but hey you are my peer when it comes tto detecting...thanks again Tom
August 03, 2010 01:10AM
((( Just answered in another post )))