Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Makro Racer (w 15" coil) in Civil War campsite (attn: Keith Southern)

Posted by Kevin B 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Makro Racer (w 15" coil) in Civil War campsite (attn: Keith Southern)
June 11, 2015 03:48AM
After I cleaned out this site (I thought) using my 11 inch coil on the Racer, I installed the 15 inch mega-coil on the unit and did some more hunting yesterday. Out of the ground came these items.....and here is where I need some old-school Civil War relic saavy......
The 3 ringers (normally 58 and 69 cal) are 54 cal Minies. The 69 cal Roundball has an interesting....eyeball motif......look to it. The two "hook" shaped brass objects appear period for the time but I am not clear as to what they are. Also, a rivet that still has some rotten blackish material that I didn't scrub out with my toothbrush. Anyway, I am well pleased with the 15 inch coils ability to sniff out relics from a place that I THOUGHT that I had cleaned out. All of this stuff came out of a relatively small area 50ft by 50 ft....or there abouts. The ground is getting dry and the spider webs are gathering in the woods. I pulled three ticks from me. After a generous spraying of Deep Woods insect repellent. may have to break out the Permethrin.

Re: Makro Racer (w 15" coil) in Civil War campsite (attn: Keith Southern)
June 11, 2015 03:57AM
Kevin, Congrats on an outstanding hunt!
June 11, 2015 04:01AM
Nice digs Kevin..

thanks For Sharing...

Ive got to get that big coil into some sites this coming week..

The hook on th right is a belt Adjuster..

The hook on the Left is off of the Knapsack straps...

The On a Knapsack theres a triangle piece of brass ..(I know youve dug them ) and that triangle hooks onto that piece..

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
June 11, 2015 05:02AM
Thank you Keith, for the Identification. I am trying to catalog all of this info into my head. So I truly appreciate the help!
And thank you, TnDuke, for your reply. It motivates me to keep after it IN SPITE of the hot, sweltering weather.
What I cannot understand is that this was supposed to be a Confederate campsite but I....or rather.....we......have been finding Union cuff buttons, Union bullets, etc etc on this tract. I am hoping that the a dollar gold piece will sound off under the coil at some point. I am going to start hunting early in the morning. That solves the problem of afternoon heat.......but the woods are now filled with those dreaded spiderwebs. I don't really mind the spiders that spun them. But I always seem to have my mouth open when I run into a thick web.... effectively filling my mouth with those dreaded webs.
Anyway, Happy Swinging to everyone and to everyone.....a good night. kevin
June 11, 2015 07:06AM
Kevin B., as expected, match a potential site with a very good detector and a different coil to have a different look at the site, and the results can be rewarding. Way to go!

Most of the sites I've been hunting have such a dense amount of targets, mostly junk, that I seldom can use the 5½X10 or 'standard' 7X11 coils. The little 'OOR' coil gets the job done, and the more open field was either covered in dense weeds or I'll have to wait until after harvest to work it. My 13.3X15.5 is already mounted on lower rods for a quick change, and all I need is huntable conditions.

Best of success on your next adventure at the site and I hope you can beat the heat and any annoying humidity.

Monte
June 11, 2015 10:02AM
Nice digs Kevin

maybe those are .54 cal Burnsides?

The eyeball shot is sort of cartoonish!
June 11, 2015 10:42AM
Rotten black stuff = leather, from such things as horse bridles.
June 11, 2015 02:43PM
Nice going Kevin. Looks like a good assortment. As far as Deep Woods off-good for chiggers, gnats, mosquitoes. Ticks seem to love it. lol .. Permethrin--that's one of the best defenses for ticks-especially those what I call turkey ticks, you know the itty biddy little ones you can hardly see that seem to burn your skin as they crawl across it. We never had those where I live until the coyotes and turkeys showed up in vast numbers. What a pain in the arse they are!!!!!!!!
June 11, 2015 02:54PM
Down this way we call those .54 caliber 3 ringers Mississippi 3 ringers..

they were fired in the .54 smooth bores converted to rifle musket..

Popular with the Mississippi troops from the Mexican War in the 1840's the .54 bores became known as Mississippi rifles in the Civil war since so many Mississippi troops used that bore of musket and style in the mexican war...

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/11/2015 05:55PM by Keith Southern.
June 11, 2015 03:54PM
Nice finds there Kevin!!

I have the RC40 coil too, but have not used it yet.

What kind of depths were you getting with that coil? Also how did you feel the weight and balance were?

HH,
Brian
June 11, 2015 05:57PM
Thanks for the replies guys. @CalCobra: Heavy! But deep. It's heaviness promotes a slowed-down swing and a slow easing through of relic-infested woodland. I will use it again, when I go back. I just KNOW that at least one of the other pieces of the chess set (I found a bullet carved into a perfect bishop in this site). The bullets are deeeeeeep. I am sure that so is alot of other stuff. We need a Makro Racer that is at least 20 khz to hot all of brass (cuff buttons, and what not).
Yes Keith, I am hunting along the line of retreat back to Corinth MS (on private prop. w/ permission). This is supposed to be a Confederate campsite. But it is my uneducated belief that alot of these campsites where used by both sides due to it's location near water and it's very very flat terrain. The soil is not even one half of the pie chart on my Racer. Usually......more like 1/4th of the pie is blackened. It ground balances at 53. I am using 2 Tone with a Gain of 85. I leave all other settings at factory. Except, of course, the frequency. I am always fiddling with that one.
Anyway, if Makro would come out with a 19 (or above) khz Racer Extreme (or something)......then maybe I would get better resonance from the buttons.
(Burnside bullets have only two rings......or at least the ones that I just saw when I typed Burnside bullet pics into the search thing.)
Anyway.......90 degrees right now. A light cotton T shirt will be ringing wet (on me) with my first dig. And the dirt is drying (even in the woods) rapidly and as a result, depth of detection is reduced.
This site is full of little 32 and 36 cal roundballs. In the Spring, when the ground is damp, even my 11 inch coil would ring loud on these little round balls. Now they make a markedly reduced sound (beep). It seems that I dig more cuff buttons in the Spring.
Thanks for all of your replies, guys!!!!! Happy HOT detecting!!!! kevin
June 11, 2015 08:47PM
The Racer gold MIGHT fit the bill..

Im always impressed with the Racer when I run it along side other units and see the strength's it has,,,

Oh yes it has weak areas too.. but the Strong points overshadow them..

one thing is mineral punch through less filtering, creating a BLEEDY audio ..

In mineral its huge if a machine can just get a minute better peek in to the soil over another unit in terms of Ferrous vs non ferrous reliability..

The Racer delivers in that aspect, and it Surely delivers in the 'OOR 5' doing its magic in iron infestation with its BLENDABLE audio...

Looks like the Largest coil.. needs some time afield this weekend!!...

If Makro/Nokta stay on track (and I think they will) we should see some great units ..And maybe even some of the things that are weak will become a thing of the past..

Keith

-Nikola Tesla

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/11/2015 09:44PM by Keith Southern.
June 11, 2015 09:41PM
WTG on the followup hunt!! They are doing 1st cutting on the fields over my way, hope to get back out soon. px like that just fire ya up to get out.

GL and HH