Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Oops wrong again, every location can be different

Posted by markg 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Oops wrong again, every location can be different
June 14, 2015 12:51PM
Well, went back to the same site where I posted, "perfect settings for this site" and hunted a small area not more that 60' from the prior hunt. Used the same settings "GB 5, pulse 10 and gain max" and off I went. After a short while I noticed a lot of clipped or inconsistent audio reports. Decided at that point to reduce gain to 7 and continued. Hunted a few more feet, still clipped audio, strange, so I stopped to analyze the area a little more closely. Sweep in one direction and get a some what good audio, but the return sweep was either silent or chatter. Suspecting something was the cause I stopped and increased the pulse delay up a tad, nothing changed. Continued to increase the pulse until I reached 17 and suddenly the audio came through as a loud, almost overload low tone. Thinking it might be a nail, I dug and out comes a copper penny at less than 4" deep. Now to say the least, I was excited and puzzled.
Decided to start over where I started hunting and experiment using a pulse rate of 17. A few moments later came the same type of loud low tone. Thinking there is no way I missed that one my first pass I changed the pulse to 10 and the signal all but disappeared. Increased the pulse to 20 this time and spent over 5 minutes rotating around this target checking from every possible angle to see what might be causing the anomaly, switched the conductivity switch to all and still a consistent low tone with nothing else mixed in. Now one must keep in mind I'm using the stock 12" and at times it is very difficult to exactly pinpoint where the target actually is. Changed the pulse to 10 and and the low tone practically disappeared. Now I was wishing I had brought my Deus to recheck some of these inconsistent signals, maybe next time. Well anyway I dug a nice plug and out comes a wheat penny at less than 5" deep. Excited to recover something from an area that quit producing years ago.
Continued hunting with settings of pulse 20, GB 5 and gain at 7, and found many more coins dated in the early 60's all within a 3' path some 60' long. Already planning what I'll do my next hunt.

What I learned from this hunt:
Don't assume you have the best settings for any site especially the sites where coal waste has been discarded for many years.
I'm suspecting the partial or complete cause of the anomalies are the small BB size waste particles from the coal fired furnaces that will easily attract to a magnet . In fact dropping a strong magnet into the same hole where a coin was revealed exactly that.
I'm relativity sure I need a mono coil, but undecided as to what I'll get.

More reports to come.
Re: Oops wrong again, every location can be different
June 14, 2015 01:14PM
Mark, thanks for another informative post on the TDI--keep up the good work.
June 14, 2015 01:51PM
Mark you have inspired me to do something. Maybe I'm a glutton for punishment but..... I'm gonna take my pulse machine back to where I dug a bunch of stuff with the Racer and CoRe. The ground is such that a VLF just will not get real deep. I wanna know what's 10 12 14 inches deep on these old sidewalks and street corners. Could be interesting, Will be a lot of work I'm sure. I'll dig a lot of nails too I already know that. Anyone want to come and dig the holes while I detect? Lol
June 14, 2015 02:18PM
I live in coal country where blue coal was king and every yard is filled with ash from coal furnaces that were not vey efficient..Indeed these old yards are tough to hunt.
Good luck in your ventures as indeed the ash dumped in the yards out the back door make hunting these areas very difficult at best....
June 14, 2015 05:09PM
Jack if you were in eastern pa I would dig for you to get the education
June 14, 2015 05:23PM
Even the race needs a bit of an adjustment to get it right..the dues more to program but all very helpful. I never turn on and hunt I fine tune the machine I'm using

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
June 14, 2015 05:52PM
The TDI is not supposed to run a LOW gorund bal liek that and function as its supposed too....

But since WE CAN do it manipulatively theres a use for it in terms of making it ignore (STILL SEE) not report audibly...

So when ou have the ground bal low and run the pulse delay up it will cause tone flops on CERTAIN items...

that's one of the reasons when you say you use COIN HUNT SETTINGS of GB on say 3 you need to leave the delay on 10.. turn the dealy up and the coins that can signal on a delay of 25 will drop out or flip tone...

where you had the Ground at 5 for coin hunting you were allowing ,more depth for the coins over say a setting of 2 or 3 but you were aslo letting in conductors of say things like pulltabs and bottle caps...and things like nickle range were broken sounds..and all the different weird shapes of trash foil aluminum iron etc will creep in...But also remember at this setting you have to keep the conductivity swtich on high or the high tones would drive you crazy form the soil sounding off from your negative ground setting ....

the ideal settings for the TDI is a ground of about 8..thats where it the most powerful and the delay works like it should ..Ideal for purging coins is the low ground setting of like 2....the range you was in at 5 is in my opinion not the best setting....I would rather go back to the 8 and then use pulse delay...to remove up to say some foil and such....And leave conductivity switch to high..

I would keep the Ground set RIGHT unless I wanted to Cherry pick coins with the ultra low ground..That's just a unique setting and the only pulse that does it ...

the only way on a P.I. does not dig iron accurately is to use a TDI and offset ground to very low and leave delay on 10 and sacrifice depth and ignore all targets but the highest of conductors zinc and above......

I would not use the large coil for trash hunting..find a smaller coil...maybe a 8 inch or 6 inch..not much depth but better separation.

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
June 15, 2015 03:52AM
Keith Southern Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The TDI is not supposed to run a LOW gorund bal
> liek that and function as its supposed too....
>
> But since WE CAN do it manipulatively theres a use
> for it in terms of making it ignore (STILL SEE)
> not report audibly...
>
> So when ou have the ground bal low and run the
> pulse delay up it will cause tone flops on CERTAIN
> items...
>
>
> that's one of the reasons when you say you use
> COIN HUNT SETTINGS of GB on say 3 you need to
> leave the delay on 10.. turn the dealy up and the
> coins that can signal on a delay of 25 will drop
> out or flip tone...
>
> where you had the Ground at 5 for coin hunting you
> were allowing ,more depth for the coins over say a
> setting of 2 or 3 but you were aslo letting in
> conductors of say things like pulltabs and bottle
> caps...and things like nickle range were broken
> sounds..and all the different weird shapes of
> trash foil aluminum iron etc will creep in...But
> also remember at this setting you have to keep the
> conductivity swtich on high or the high tones
> would drive you crazy form the soil sounding off
> from your negative ground setting ....
>
> the ideal settings for the TDI is a ground of
> about 8..thats where it the most powerful and the
> delay works like it should ..Ideal for purging
> coins is the low ground setting of like 2....the
> range you was in at 5 is in my opinion not the
> best setting....I would rather go back to the 8
> and then use pulse delay...to remove up to say
> some foil and such....And leave conductivity
> switch to high..
>
> I would keep the Ground set RIGHT unless I wanted
> to Cherry pick coins with the ultra low
> ground..That's just a unique setting and the only
> pulse that does it ...
>
> the only way on a P.I. does not dig iron
> accurately is to use a TDI and offset ground to
> very low and leave delay on 10 and sacrifice depth
> and ignore all targets but the highest of
> conductors zinc and above......
>
> I would not use the large coil for trash
> hunting..find a smaller coil...maybe a 8 inch or 6
> inch..not much depth but better separation.
>
> Keith

Keith,you lost me at "the TDI".....smiling smiley
June 15, 2015 04:24AM
What Keith said above is very true. Also when using the TDI I learn something new everytime I use it. I am not a fan of the 12" DF coil. It just seems to do weird things that monos don't.

Discrimination is the root of all evil.
June 17, 2015 03:19PM
Keith Southern Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The TDI is not supposed to run a LOW gorund bal
> liek that and function as its supposed too....
>
> But since WE CAN do it manipulatively theres a use
> for it in terms of making it ignore (STILL SEE)
> not report audibly...
>
> So when ou have the ground bal low and run the
> pulse delay up it will cause tone flops on CERTAIN
> items...
>
>
> that's one of the reasons when you say you use
> COIN HUNT SETTINGS of GB on say 3 you need to
> leave the delay on 10.. turn the dealy up and the
> coins that can signal on a delay of 25 will drop
> out or flip tone...
>
> where you had the Ground at 5 for coin hunting you
> were allowing ,more depth for the coins over say a
> setting of 2 or 3 but you were aslo letting in
> conductors of say things like pulltabs and bottle
> caps...and things like nickle range were broken
> sounds..and all the different weird shapes of
> trash foil aluminum iron etc will creep in...But
> also remember at this setting you have to keep the
> conductivity swtich on high or the high tones
> would drive you crazy form the soil sounding off
> from your negative ground setting ....
>
> the ideal settings for the TDI is a ground of
> about 8..thats where it the most powerful and the
> delay works like it should ..Ideal for purging
> coins is the low ground setting of like 2....the
> range you was in at 5 is in my opinion not the
> best setting....I would rather go back to the 8
> and then use pulse delay...to remove up to say
> some foil and such....And leave conductivity
> switch to high..
>
> I would keep the Ground set RIGHT unless I wanted
> to Cherry pick coins with the ultra low
> ground..That's just a unique setting and the only
> pulse that does it ...
>
> the only way on a P.I. does not dig iron
> accurately is to use a TDI and offset ground to
> very low and leave delay on 10 and sacrifice depth
> and ignore all targets but the highest of
> conductors zinc and above......
>
> I would not use the large coil for trash
> hunting..find a smaller coil...maybe a 8 inch or 6
> inch..not much depth but better separation.
>
> Keith

You made some very good points Keith, but where I was hunting is a very unique or maybe rare location.
Take the red/orange iron bearing clay like in Virginia add the coal waste, BB to marble size "that easily attracts to a magnet" and you've added a mix that is very difficult at best.
I have several coins buried in this area. These coins have been buried a very long time.
One can be found by the Deus, CTX and TDI fairly easily. The TDI can detect a couple more coins, not good but fair. Now some of the coins are silent. Nothing from any machine regardless of settings. These are buried at only 6" deep. I'm only guessing a regular mono coil might correct this issue with the TDI.
Since my last hunt I sent a sizeable box of this coal waste material to Reg Sniff for analysis and coil recommendations.

I'm on the right track........ love experimenting and playing
Since I got my TDI I've found more coins in the past month than I have the past 3 years at this one location.
June 30, 2015 01:15AM
What Unique Mark is the TDI hears all...we decide what we want to dig..

The TDI hears all like runing a machine in all metal( lets use a whites sierra madre as example ) with no I.d. or disc.. it will hear all too like a Pulse.. and if the ground can be steadied (as some dirts wont allow a smooth running all metal mode on a VLF) it's very deep unit for most all terrains.....yet the TDI has the tone option in its all metal mode.. so in fact its better to use a TDI than a metal detector in all metal with no visual i.d. ability or disc ability..say a sierra madre vs a TDI SL ...I would opt for a TDI Sl and dig less Iron Vs the Sierra..Crazy is it not? a Pulse can dig less iron now a day's than a All metal mode VLF..

I was wondering how you were getting along with the TDI in your coin quest? in BAD dirt!

Hope your making some good finds in the coal dirt...your determination to the task was very exciting to read about..

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla