Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Heads up....Watch the insect spray

Posted by tnsharpshooter 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Heads up....Watch the insect spray
June 15, 2015 02:08AM
Would probably damage any screen made of plastic.

[www.findmall.com]
Re: Heads up....Watch the insect spray
June 15, 2015 02:20AM
Thanks for the heads up TNSS. I hadn't read that yet. Wow. That's crazy.
June 15, 2015 02:21AM
tnsharpshooter Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Would probably damage any screen made of plastic.
>
> [www.findmall.com]
> 1

That is a really good thread to start,I was just telling my buddy Wayne today to stay away from all that crap as much as possible. I found that it softened everything made of plastic and rubber last year,so I'm using it really lightly this year. Try to hunt in the sun,once you're in the shade those bugs will carry your ass AWAY! I also noticed a local retailer has Coleman spray that is 98% DEET. I'm not going to pretend I know anything about DEET other than the bugs in MY area drink DEET for fun. Certain people just give off the scent they like. The less you sweat,the better off you are. That means light colored airy clothing when possible. Or,wearing really heavy clothes which cover EVERYTHING in such a thick layer they can't get to you. I'll guarantee you that wouldn't be a good idea in Wisconsin right now.sad smiley
June 15, 2015 02:36AM
If it does that to plastic do you want it near your skin? Here is an old trick I learned. Stay the hell out of the woods when it is Summer.
June 15, 2015 02:50AM
Had a buddy hear about how well OFF does cleaning your head lights. Long story short, be VERY careful you dont get it on anywhere else on the car.
June 15, 2015 02:55AM
goodmore Wrote:
> If it does that to plastic do you want it near
> your skin? Here is an old trick I learned. Stay
> the hell out of the woods when it is Summer.

Lol! Exactly....
June 15, 2015 04:17AM
goodmore Wrote:
> If it does that to plastic do you want it near
> your skin? Here is an old trick I learned. Stay
> the hell out of the woods when it is Summer.

that's "wicked smaht"

(h.h.!)
j.t.
June 15, 2015 04:19AM
I recommend Sawyer insect repellent, $10/spray bottle in yellow box at Walmart. It contains Permethrin and you spray your clothes and let them air dry. Then they are good for 6 weeks (through washings) and kill ticks, chiggers, and mosquitoes.
My son-in-law is a surveyor with NCDOT. I turned him onto Permethrin over a year ago and he went from constantly having many chigger and tick bites to only an occasional one.
Might need to use something else on face and hands. Repel Tick Defense (Picaridin) or Coleman SkinSmart (various DEET free ingredients) work well for me.

Careful, though, with permethrin. It's deadly to cats while it is liquid or clothes are still wet. OK when dried. No cat jokes please. We have 4 of them, and 3 are like family. The other, not so much.

Pleasant Garden, NC
AT Max, Nokta Impact, MX Sport, Nokta FORS Relic, GPX 4800, Infinium, Racer, Deus, F75SE, Nautilus DMC II (order of acquisition, last to first)

Does an archeologist argue with a plow? A bureaucrat with a bulldozer?
June 15, 2015 11:24AM
I put this repellent info on the following thread, thought I'd repost the info here.
Re: Handling HOT weather. Does any of y'all continue detecting in spite of the heat? How?

"We have Phlebotomus here in the med from about May to Nov. which are something like sand flies or no-see-ums which give you horrible itchy lumps.
They are so small that normal mosquito nets don't help. The bites are more annoying than the heat!?

I do not use DEET as this can harm/dissolve plastics (not good for my detector & cables), so after a lot searching and testing now use
20% Icaridine (Saltidine) which lasts about 8 hours on me, sweating like a dog in 90% humidity. 10% gives me about 4 hours. "

This stuff is one of the very few repellents that really works for me in this location. So much stuff did not work as advertised angry smiley
I get it in Germany and it costs way less than DEET in Europe (around $3 for 100ml). Perhaps you can get it in the States.

[en.wikipedia.org]
June 16, 2015 05:34PM
I gave up on the Deet stuff. Now, after washing all of my hunting clothes, I spray them down with the Permethrin stuff (MUST let it dry before wearing the clothes). So far, I have had no problems with ticks......of other flying menaces. I DO use Deet sprays (Deep Woods Off or similar) for keeping chiggers out of my boots. Chiggers seem to hate Deet. But DEET will remove finishes from gunstocks,.......it has ruined the clear plastic screen on my wrist-watch,.......if it does that to plastics.......I wonder how the FDA could approve it's use for bare skin. (I have sprayed my bare arms with Deep Woods Off (40% DEET) with no lasting effects.........starting many years ago. No rashes, or any other skin anomalies.,........at least, that I can detect.
Even on a very hot day, I have noticed that the last couple of hours in the woods are relatively pleasant. If I get to uncomfortable......I simply go home. Happy Detecting.....kevin
June 16, 2015 06:53PM
Also..it can damage the handgrip and armrest.......as well....