Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Doing OK but getting KILLED in the trash...am I trying too hard??

Posted by IDXMonster 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Doing OK but getting KILLED in the trash...am I trying too hard??
June 15, 2015 02:10AM
So the learning continues...I'm running the stock 1050 coil as I have been since the start,Bryces recommended settings and just swinging. Once in awhile I'll use manual sens and jack it up to where the TH is still stable if I can which isn't often! Even in auto sens at 16 a lot of times the TH is nulling ALOT! Like,I can't hear it for 10 seconds straight! This happens in most places I go,from town to town. It's not "different areas of the same field" it's different TOWNS altogether,with the same situation. I've been to these places and in most cases I need DEPTH! How am I going to achieve DEPTH when I can't maintain a stable machine even at a relatively low sens level? I guess after the first week my expectations for the second week were probably set way too high. I find myself investigating every chirp,blip,and bleep even if I know damn well it's iron falsing. I have Variability set to 10 and I know a good silver tone is 2 octaves above TH. Either the ground in my entire county is polluted by iron chips or I am doing something WAY wrong. Should I NOT skim the coil on the ground so as to not pick up all those signals? Would that help? I might lose that amount of depth but right now the phones are just way too busy. I am a sideline musician,have good ears and phones but I feel like I'm not applying this machine correctly. I'm headed to the Explorer Forum on Findmall to do some reading,just venting right now...I absolutely LOVE this machine for what I've seen it do already,it's like I'm sliding backward all of the sudden. I've tapped the coil,checked the cable and such,overall the machine is a cream puff,really really nicely cared for by the previous owner,so I doubt that it's the machines fault. I'm more frustrated because I'm sure it's MY fault that I can't reproduce the first week. Maybe there's just nothing left in these places...who knows. As always,I appreciate any input more than you know.

Kevin
Re: Doing OK but getting KILLED in the trash...am I trying too hard??
June 15, 2015 02:49AM
Try the F19 or the racer and the 5x10 and the 5" great in trash

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
June 15, 2015 02:57AM
Lawrenzo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Try the F19 or the racer and the 5x10 and the 5"
> great in trash

Not the answer I was looking for...smiling smiley
June 15, 2015 03:07AM
A 5 or 6 inch coil would help. And even with these coils a reaaaaaaaaaaaaaal slow sweep is still needed.
June 15, 2015 03:14AM
or take your remaining IDX Pro and see what it will do at that site........
June 15, 2015 03:22AM
That is one reason I prefer the Etrac as it doesn't null as much as the previous Explorer's It has a faster processer. I love the Sunray 8'' coil on my Etrac as almost as much depth as the stock coil and better separation so you may want to pick one up.This is also another reason I don't run that much disc. as a lot of disc. more nulling. You may hear more targets with less disc., but I rather listen to targets then miss them in the null. But some love to slow way down and hunt the nulls listening for that silver warble of a coin next to a nail. I guess it is what way you want to hunt as we all have are preference's.
June 15, 2015 03:48AM
Hombre Wrote:
> or take your remaining IDX Pro and see what it
> will do at that site........

LOL!! It was in the car with the 5.3 Randy...and don't think I didn't think about it! I already know what THAT setup can do,I want to know if the Explorer can do it better. Maybe it can,but not with ME at the wheel right now....WOW!! I haven't felt this helpless in awhile,partially because I know it's ME that's most of the problem. My wife tells me that too so I'm OK with that...

Until I get a suitable coil that will achieve the depth I think I need for the Explorer the IDX will indeed be the machine in hand if I want to go in the bad trash,I've proven that works and works really well many times. I'm just trying to go deeper yet. Aren't we all.....smiling smiley
June 15, 2015 04:12AM
Dont give up. It will come to ya. You remind me when I first got a Sovereign. Hit silver right off the bat. But then got frustrated. Even called Paul (old california) and asked what the hell?wanted to wrap it around a tree! Then it started to click, and soon became an extension of me,lol. Cant help much...I had 3 explorers, but never liked the tones, and dold them quickly. Do you hunt with snyone who has explorer experience? Ask those you hunt with to call you over to hear those deep, iffy signals. Unless its iron trash, the explorer is hard to beat for deep silver, especially in modern trash. And no offense Lowboy, but doubt the Racer can compete
June 15, 2015 05:02AM
IDXMonster --

My advice (and I don't think you will) is DO NOT give up on the Explorer.

Running at 16 sensitivity, you are not getting everything out of the Explorer. I run mine on manual, and as "maxed out" as I can get -- usually 30 or above, almost NEVER lower than 28. Otherwise, I run Bryce's settings WITH ONE TWEAK -- I run my gain at 7, whereas Bryce runs maxed at 10. At 7, I find I get better hints for my ears as to when a target is deep, versus shallow. And for me, THIS is a big key. I'll get to that in a minute.

As for nulling -- at many sites I hunt, YES there is nulling; often, the nulling is mineralized ground, rust flecks, nails, etc -- assuming you are running Bryce's IM 22 setting. BUT -- just because it is "nulling," doesn't mean the machine is DEAD. It is not "shut down" just because it is nulling...it took me a long time to get comfortable with that concept, but it can still find coins while "nulling." Moving slower, when the nulling is significant, helps.

As for why I say the lower gain is key. For me, you have to learn the "language" of the Explorer, and for me, the ONLY way to do that is dig a TON of trash, over time, until you learn intuitively what a trash target sounds and IDs like, and what a good target sounds and IDs like. Explorers are simply "ears" machines; there are 31 different tones, and it's in the behavior of these tones where the Explorer's "language" lies. Eventually, you will get to the point where most of the "noise" you hear is simply background "nothing," sort of like a form of "threshold." Once you get to the point where you are hunting through the noise and really not even hearing it, but then you hear a specific tone/sound amongst the other noise that "stops you dead in your tracks," THEN you know that you have gotten to the point where you truly "know" the machine, have learned it's language, and are ready to use it as a weapon (instead of IT being the "weapon" that has waged "blitzkrieg" war on your ears and your brain! winking smiley ) Anyway, back to the "gain" thing -- I want my gain lower (but not too low), so that deeper signals are more subtle and "quiet" than shallow ones. What this does is give your ears another clue to focus on. Deep iron is usually still very LOUD. Even though a bent rusty nail may mimic a coin at times, it is often a "louder" (harsher) signal than what a coin would present at a similar depth. But lowering the gain is what, for me, helps to allow this differentiation to be made. Otherwise, with all targets at basically the same volume (which is what maxed out gain causes), things are more difficult. There is a soft, warbly whisper that gets my adrenaline going -- and that sound is "aided" (for me) buy running gain at about 75%. Bryce swears that gain at 7 or 8 would make the deep coin sounds too quiet for him to hear, and he'd miss them totally. I don't have that problem; it's actually a huge HELP for me, to have those deep coins "quieted down" from the cacaphony of noise. It's part of what I listen for specifically, when "deep coin hunting." BTW -- I use SunRay Pro Gold headphones, and they REALLY help, vs. the stock Koss phones (though the Koss phones aren't "BAD," they just aren't as good).

Hopefully, some of this helps you out. Bottom line, you have to learn the language, and there's no shortcut that I know of. Eventually, if you give it the time, you will find that the Explorers are GREAT at allowing you NOT to dig trash (again, due to the "rich" language expressed through all those sounds); but, you can't "not" dig the trash until you dig enough of it to learn what the trash SOUNDS LIKE on an Explorer.

I apologize if this sounds like "talking down" to you at times. I'm guessing you are a really experienced guy, but don't know, so I wasn't sure quite how to word it appropriately. Forgive me if my words come across as "beneath you" in any way. I'm just trying to convey some info as best as I can.

Let me know if you have more questions, and I'll try to help. I'm not an "expert," but I've been swinging mine for over 4 years now, so not a "novice" either (though still learning -- and still have some of my own questions, as you'll see when I post one here shortly!)

Steve
June 15, 2015 06:49AM
Take your time with the Explorer..

it will take awhile to get it right..

and me personally I dont want the machine to NULL..

I know theres different schools of thought to the contrary BUT over time and alot of comparison the Whole picture cant be painted with the null going on...Or the depth cant be fully achieved..

Im not here to push that train of thought on you though at this early stage in your learning experience...

Best thing I can say is for Now just use iron mask only no patterns...and stay in multi tones...learn the quality of the tonal report's..

Just my take and in no way the final say

I would love to do a Explorer video one day on the Way a COUPLE of us run them here in the relic sites...It not for everyone but in depth away from alot of trash just mainly iron the depth it achieves with the some aggresive settings is mind boggling...especially in clay....

On a side note I find a Ecxplorer to be at home in red clay...vs say some other forms of mineralization...even P.i's dont do well in clays.. the Explorer's transmission tech works well in dense red clay ...

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
June 15, 2015 07:35AM
Keith -- you are touching on some things I'm trying to sort through mentally and in the field, based on some of your posts, but I'm struggling. I will be making a new thread here shortly. Let's just say, I need some help, regarding this very advanced way of hunting with an Explorer that you are trying to describe...

Steve

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/15/2015 07:42AM by steveg.
June 15, 2015 03:32PM
Ray you know how I get when I like something I just have to tell the world about it..but if you look at the guys that hunt in England you can learn a lot about how to hunt in iron..for me sometimes turning down the gain is the trick on your F19 when you do that you lose targets not on the deus or the racer. It the deus could get a smaller coil that worked and the update has the power I have read about. And Andy working on a new book for it with the update then that could even be a real killer machine...but the more I use the racer the more I love it for my type of hunting...

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
June 15, 2015 05:19PM
thanks a million for the thoughts and advice on all this guys.

Steve-I don't take any offense,I know what your saying. The longer this conversation goes on about the Explorers in iron and the easiest/best way to handle it,the better for everyone. A lot of this can be translated to other machines,or at least the basic ideas, and that is a benefit to everybody. Im going to sit back awhile and let the more experienced voices speak on this.
June 16, 2015 04:37PM
So Racer is growing on you. I have a Deus on Lone and will be doing a lot of Racer vs Deus - will not really competition just learning how each performs. I have good headphones for the Racer now and will work on picking up on the nuances that others are having so much luck with once they master them.

Lawrenzo Wrote:
> Ray you know how I get when I like something I
> just have to tell the world about it..but if you
> look at the guys that hunt in England you can
> learn a lot about how to hunt in iron..for me
> sometimes turning down the gain is the trick on
> your F19 when you do that you lose targets not on
> the deus or the racer. It the deus could get a
> smaller coil that worked and the update has the
> power I have read about. And Andy working on a new
> book for it with the update then that could even
> be a real killer machine...but the more I use the
> racer the more I love it for my type of hunting...

Bryanna - Nebraska

Current - New to me but not new MXT Pro and T2 SE2 - Previous Minelab Sovereign GT, Minelab Safari, Whites DFX, Whites Eagle Spectrum
Smile its a good for you!
June 17, 2015 03:09PM
This is what happens when a newbie is running a new machine and theres excessive fiddling going on. For FOUR DAYS I didn't realize that the machine was still in FERROUS tones,i had switched it for one site I was on. I was still finding some things here and there but nothing like the first week and a half. I knew something was not the same but didn't bother to run through everything as I am new to the Explorer. Grrrrrrr!!!!! Dum dum dum dum......onward and upward...
June 17, 2015 05:47PM
I second the Sunray X-8. It almost always stayed on my Etrac and still get food depth. The 6x8 SEF is another goo one for iron laden spots
June 18, 2015 05:38AM
don't you hunt with the mx-5?.how is that doing in the junk for ya?
with the 5.3 on?

(h.h.!)
j.t.
June 18, 2015 06:13AM
IDXMonster -- if you were running ferrous, and open screen, that would sure cause what you described!

My advice -- find settings you like (I can suggest some if you want), and LEAVE THEM THERE, period. Do not switch them up, until you are fully comfortable with the machine. You NEED to get used to the Explorer's language, and messing with the SOUNDS (switching between ferrous and conductive, switching the number of tones i.e. variability, switching the filters on and off, etc.) will do nothing but confuse you, IMO. My take is, the language is rather complex, given all the tones the machine produces (31 of them if you max it out), and so you need to give your brain time to learn those tones -- which you really can't do IMO if you are switching your settings around.

Oh -- and as Fletch says, the 6x8 SEF is a really good, stable coil, does well in iron, and I will vouch for its depth...I lose no more than 1" at most, vs. the 13" Ultimate coil; roughly 1/2" maybe vs. the Pro coil. It is, at least the one I have, surprisingly deep for a relatively small coil, and it does not false on iron anywhere near as much as some other coils do...

Steve