Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Sand scoop advice needed

Posted by FollowTheBeep 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Sand scoop advice needed
June 15, 2015 11:11PM
So here's the deal. I'm taking a vacation to Topsail Island, NC from central, IL at the end of the month and plan on doing a large amount of searching the beach. I've only been beach detecting once before and now I know that I need a scoop. I would like to keep the cost low since trips to the beach are few and far between but I also want a long handle to save my back a bit of stress. I will be searching in dry and wet sand but no water detecting greater than ankle depth.

I'm having difficulty deciding between three RTG models: #700 (galvanized with a reinforced screen), #733 (aluminum), and # 790 (stainless steel). All are comparable in size and price but I do like the idea of the screen for better sifting, just not fond of galvanized in saltwater.

Any input would be appreciated.

Also, is adding a perpendicular hand grip to the long handle a good idea?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/16/2015 12:21AM by FollowTheBeep.
Re: Sand scoop advice needed
June 16, 2015 12:02AM
I use a galvanized scoop with a short handle works fine and easy on the back, it is 15 years old with only light wear. Definitly get one with a handle even a short handle is good. HH

PS make sure the handle is reinforced on the scoop. I like the short handle easy to move around at least 12" though.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/16/2015 12:06AM by guvmore.
June 16, 2015 12:29AM
Don't get the one with the screen. Go ahead and get the aluminum with stainless lip. It works wonderfully in the water and sand. You'll probably hunt where you live too I'm sure.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/16/2015 12:30AM by Jack Flynn.
June 16, 2015 12:36AM
I second the aluminum with stainless lip. It is a great scoop. I have one. The problem with aluminum is it folds over time on the lip. The stainless lip will keep that from happening. But a pure stainless scoop is a killer in the weight department. Believe me a heavy scoop is like a boat anchor. It will wear you down in the heat. Don't forget to add the grab handle.
June 16, 2015 01:03AM
Agree to get one without a small screen. You can always add your own screen if you decide you really wanted one.
June 16, 2015 08:39AM
If you are going to hi unt the wet sand you need a more durable scoop. A dry sand scoop wont handle the concrete like sand for long. For your purpose.... the aluminun with SS tip is a good choice. I use a StarvR M9 since I hunt a lot. Its as light as the aluminum.
June 16, 2015 09:44AM
I've got the 733 and two other gigantic scoops. The 733 is all you will need for a couple times a year trips. It's much lighter and fun to use than the larger Trex and stealth scoops.

Walt,

From the GA-FL line

Silver microMax, CTX 3030, Excal 2, ATPro
June 17, 2015 05:32PM
I decided to go with the #733 aluminum scoop with an added grip. With as much use as it will get, it should last a lifetime. I will post about my experience with the Racer on the beach since there is not much info on it in that environment yet.

HH