Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Reviews.

Posted by Beyonder-Pa 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Reviews.
June 18, 2015 05:52PM
From time to time, a review is posted and to most, they take it at face value, some however, take it as gospel. If your new to detecting and/or new to forums, be careful about reviews. There are some that just want your money, some that want to mislead you, some that mean well, but don't know what they are doing, and some that truly know what the are saying.

I try my best to be as honest as i can with my reviews and do as much field testing as possible.

These next statements are "in general", not meant toward anyone AND just my opinion. They may be common sense to some, but maybe not to others.

When a person is asking advice on a something, a few things from the respondent are needed:

1. Impartiality. You give the good and the bad. All machines have this and to say that a machine is flawless or to say nothing good about it, is misleading at best.

2. Actually use the item in question for a reasonable amount of time. To say, "I saw a video", or, "I heard from so-and-so", or, "I read on the forums", doesn't qualify someone to give a review. The previous quotes may be entirely correct, however to base a review off of them and not tell the inquisitor about where you acquired the information is also misleading at best.

3. Comparisons don't make an item better or worse. To say something like, "The etrac blows away the Racer when it comes to silver" is misleading. It makes it sound like the etrac is the best thing since oxygen and the racer entirely sucks. In reality, you can't even really compare machines in their entirety. To build-up or tear down while comparing it to another is misleading as well.

When reading reviews always remember:

1. Consider the source. What is this persons intentions?

2. Many sources are always better than one. Make sure you are getting information from as many sources as possible.

3. Try before you buy. if you have any opportunity to try something before you buy it, then do it. It can save you a lot of time and money.

4. No need to rush. Take a few months to gather data before you jump into a purchase.

I spent three months of data gathering before I bought an etrac. When I got the machine, it was like i already had an idea of what to expect and how to run the machine.

So good luck out there first timers!

Bey
Re: Reviews.
June 18, 2015 06:05PM
Good words of advice, Bey.
June 18, 2015 06:14PM
Good advice for all. I would also add for those reading reviews to take into consideration the type of hunting the reviewer is basing the review upon. If you plan on primarily coinshooting in the local parks, the trash you will encounter is different from the trash a relic hunter deals with.

Additionally, little things about a detector can make a big difference in the enjoyment of the hobby. You may decide on a machine that is highly rated but if you absolutely hate the tones it uses you won't be happy actually using it. If you can't see the display, it will do you no good.

Be realistic about where and how you plan on hunting, if you don't want to dig deep holes, you won't need a deep detector but would probably be more interested in the separation qualities. What's best for some may not be the best for you.

HH
June 18, 2015 06:17PM
What is disheartening to me is the infomercial forums that dealers regularly tell people what's best for them or rather what they need to move in their inventory per se. Machines are really pushed that way a lot. Now I'll be the first to say there are some great dealers out there, spectacular people to do business with. Then there are some that are not so much that. Yep be very careful......
June 18, 2015 07:51PM
Nice tips, Bey. Your four suggestions are really the key to finding the right detector. No one really has the "answer", all they can do is guide you...

- B spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
June 18, 2015 09:04PM
Great post Bey!!
June 18, 2015 09:32PM
I agree with the posts, but one very important ingredient in the formula for success is location, the top line detector will not help much if the location is wrong and the most moderate detector will do if the location is right, start with a moderate priced detector in case you change your mind about this past time, if you sell likely you will take less of a loss if start with a moderate detector, but likely you will enjoy this hobby. HH
June 18, 2015 09:49PM
Some good information. Detector Reviews are nice to have.

I think the nail board test and maybe another 3D standard test like the person does with the multilple 2x4s would be nice.

Also not just how a detector separates nonferrous from iron/nails is good, but also how a detector separates nonferrous from other nonferrous.

Ground mineralization needs to always be addressed as far as performance as well.

EMI handling is another vital aspect to consider.

There will always be a difference of opinion with some aspects of a detector's capability or performance, but with the many here that read/post, a person I feel can get a pretty good truthful idea on a specific detector.

You'll notice I post videos, I find at times on the internet. I do this with no ulterior motive in mind whatsoever, only learning and hoping the posted video(s) will spark some discussion/explanation. The more folks the merrier I feel.

This forum I consider one of the more serious overall when it comes to detecting. So BS, false advertisement, fairy tales concerning specific detectors probably won't get go too far without being identified. The so-called "detector police" will nab!!!!!
June 19, 2015 01:22AM
I always take any product review from A to Z with a grain of salt, but do take some interest in what the reguller hunters have to say, for instance I think it's common knowledge that the Minelab Sov/Elite is terrible at finding clad but excellent on silver, please correct me if wrong.
June 19, 2015 01:46AM
Remember those field tests in the magazines are proof read by the manufacturer...so take that into consideration.....
June 19, 2015 05:04AM
Thank you all and what you posted is all good stuff too!!! We all know that there are loads of guests that visit and hopefully, this information provided will help them so they can find what's right for them.

Bey
June 19, 2015 05:26PM
Some of yhe best reviews are on Steves site, detectorprospector.com. no hidden agenda, no"this will put the detecting world on its head" balogney.