Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

New detectors?

Posted by D&P-OR 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
New detectors?
June 19, 2015 09:52AM
What manufacturers/detectors do we know of that are coming out with new units at this time (in the near future)?
Re: New detectors?
June 19, 2015 10:49AM
That's an interesting early-morning question .... confused smiley It's 3:10 AM here in Arlington, Oregon and I have my little pickup loaded and ready-to-go (once the AC guy fixes my unit this morning) as I head off to Baker City, OR to meet a detecting buddy. We're going to go work an old ghost town site for half-a-day or so and I'll be using both new and old model detectors. The ones in my arsenal that have a proven record for me of pulling good targets from bad, trashy sites.

I was talking with a fellow yesterday about 'new' detectors Vs older models as I am thinning my personal inventory and have five detectors for sale. The main theme of our discussion was, just what is really 'NEW' that we have been seeing? Unfortunately, I have seen quite a few 'newer' models that are simply off-shoots or slightly modified designs of another model for another brand a company has, and the only thing really 'new' about them is the packaging. Oh, there are some newer features, or maybe they worked with the processing a little so they handle iron a little better than a former model, but I haven't seen any major introductions from anyone, at least not much from USA detector makers.

Personally, I take a very basic approach to detector design and detector selection to find the models that suit me and the types of sites I hunt. I like SIMPLE, and that means I don't care for an excess of control adjustments to tweak this and tweak that. I like a detector to be simple to operate and get into action.

I also like FUNCTIONAL, and that means it needs to have ample adjustment functions, with a workable adjustment range, but not be all cluttered up with unnecessary features. I have my 'Simple' yet 'Functional' turn-on-and-go model for some of the quick-work sites I like to hunt that don't pose a challenge with excessive mineralization, and my other personal-use detectors feature an automated GB or manual GB (or both) so I can quickly adjust them to the mineralization I encounter at any site.

My choice of detectors provide 'Functional' visual display information, if they happen to have a visual display, and not a lot of unwanted or useless info to try and decipher. Then, too, the third ingredient I look for is PERFORMANCE, because it doesn't matter if a detector is Simple or complex, lightweight or heavy, Functional in design or over-complicated or even lacking some useful features, because if it doesn't provide the in-the-field Performance we want/need, then it is essentially a useless investment to have on-hand.

This hobby industry peaked long ago and the manufacturers who remain in the game have brought us rather expensive priced detectors that really didn't offer a lot in improved performance from what we achieved years ago, just mainly some differences in ergonomics, or they added on a lot of fluff to kind of dazzle the consumers. We've kind of seen a shift in the trend since manufacturers started competing more on the lower-to-modest priced detectors, but still have a few models that try to milk the consumer for an ample amount of $$$. Then, in the middle-price range, or let's say $600 to $900, there are still some very good detectors that I consider to be top-end models and very versatile performers for the more avid detectorist.

That's the range of models in the market that I keep alert for. Something that might rival the White's MXT Pro for all-around versatile and functional performance. In recent months we have seen that with some off-shore detector entries, like the Nokta FORS Coin & Relic or the sister company's Makro Racer. Both of these are in my personal arsenal because they are Simple, Functional, and provide very good to excellent Performance at an affordable price and are durable and reliable.

I think we will see some new competition, but I doubt it will show up and be evaluated and proven until perhaps spring of next year.

Still, I like to read about how detectorists are liking, or non-liking, some of the newer detectors on the market, and hear what they feel the manufacturers ought to be working on for us in the near future.

Monte

PS: Are there any particular 'new' features you might be looking for?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/19/2015 10:51AM by Monte.
June 19, 2015 12:48PM
All of them...

1. Garrett GTI 6500
2. White's V4
3. Tesoro Pizarro
4. Minelab Legend
5. Minelab Escape
6. Minelab Storm
7. Fisher CZ9

...spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
June 19, 2015 01:18PM
Des D Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> All of them...
>
> 1. Garrett GTI 6500
> 2. White's V4
> 3. Tesoro Pizarro
> 4. Minelab Legend
> 5. Minelab Escape
> 6. Minelab Storm
> 7. Fisher CZ9
>
> ...spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

He he he....

Pinpoint twice, dig once
June 19, 2015 02:08PM
Omega 8500 is coming very soon, late summer, and has many new features. smiling smiley
June 19, 2015 02:33PM
pulltabMiner Wrote:
> Des D Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > All of them...
> >
> > 1. Garrett GTI 6500
> > 2. White's V4
> > 3. Tesoro Pizarro
> > 4. Minelab Legend
> > 5. Minelab Escape
> > 6. Minelab Storm
> > 7. Fisher CZ9
> >
> > ...spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
>
> He he he....

smiling smiley
June 19, 2015 02:49PM
Glad Monte has joined the forum as he must be a good typist as he sure gives long concise reports and is willing to share his expertise...
June 19, 2015 05:38PM
detectingMO Wrote:
> Omega 8500 is coming very soon, late summer, and
> has many new features. smiling smiley

Yeah Craig, it will be interesting to see what this Omega 8500 brings to the table.-----I think that report Keith did on that F-44 shows that it might be a great little light weight detector for a park hunter also.
June 19, 2015 05:56PM
I tend to beleive lot of new models are old models with designer clothes added, for example look at new cars mostly cosmetic changes the motors are often identical.
Right now the only thing that would intice me to buy is maybe the light weight designs but let's face it we need location for results. It's the user that defines success not the detectors. HH

But does not hurt to have a high end machine except the pocket book.
June 19, 2015 08:45PM
I'll second what Dan said.

Great to see you posting on this forum, Monte. From my day one in this hobby, I've always appreciated your vast knowledge and your easy to digest writing style.

I don't always agree with you 100% of the time. But when I don't, I usually find out later I was wrong.

Although I'm sure we still disagree about the validity of the simple wheat to silver ratio...grinning smiley
June 19, 2015 09:28PM
THey claim that Whites are coming out with a metal detector that is gonna give MInelab a run for its money,and they are going to put two dollar bills in their metal detectors keep them from making fake ones,i will try to post a video. [www.youtube.com]
June 19, 2015 11:16PM
skinner Wrote:
> THey claim that Whites are coming out with a metal
> detector that is gonna give MInelab a run for its
> money,and they are going to put two dollar bills
> in their metal detectors keep them from making
> fake ones,i will try to post a video.
>
> [www.youtube.com]

Quite a video skinner, thanks for posting it.-----The only thing is----I'll bet Ken White wishes his "long lost nephew" would have STAYED lost! LOL
June 20, 2015 01:31PM
I tend to agree with what guvmore said...basically same detectors with a different face. Some have a few added features. Seems like everything is based on sound and ID. What we need is newer technology...which is already out there...similar to radar...and we know how old that technology is!

Charles
June 20, 2015 04:25PM
D&P-OR Wrote:
> skinner Wrote:
> -----
> > THey claim that Whites are coming out with a
> metal
> > detector that is gonna give MInelab a run for
> its
> > money,and they are going to put two dollar
> bills
> > in their metal detectors keep them from making
> > fake ones,i will try to post a video.
>
> >
> > [www.youtube.com]
>
>
> Quite a video skinner, thanks for posting
> it.-----The only thing is----I'll bet Ken White
> wishes his "long lost nephew" would have STAYED
> lost! LOL

thanks D&P-OR i think that this guy is lost all the way around LOL
June 20, 2015 04:32PM
detectingMO Wrote:
> Omega 8500 is coming very soon, late summer, and
> has many new features. smiling smiley

hope it has wifi phones

and deus V4 may have something special the tomtoms have it

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/20/2015 04:33PM by diggers.
June 20, 2015 10:56PM
Dan-Pa. Wrote:
> Glad Monte has joined the forum as he must be a
> good typist as he sure gives long concise reports
> and is willing to share his expertise...
He types with 2 fingers.

Kenny
[www.youtube.com]
June 20, 2015 11:32PM
khouse Wrote:
> Dan-Pa. Wrote:
> -----
> > Glad Monte has joined the forum as he must be a
> > good typist as he sure gives long concise
> reports
> > and is willing to share his expertise...
> He types with 2 fingers.

Yep----by his own admission!-----Two (index) fingers "hunt & peck" method.------Make a long night, huh!!------Wonder if he ever hits the "delete" key instead of the "send" key?-----That ever happened Monte? smiling smiley--------In any case---we better appreciate his (long) posts---that guy works his head (and index fingers) off making them! smiling smiley-------Del
June 20, 2015 11:58PM
Heck my father in law was a white collar guy and used two fingers(circa 1964) ....he could give his daughter my new wife a run for her money and she was a clerk typist for an insurance company( nuff said I guess) life is sure a passage of time making memories....
June 21, 2015 01:18AM
diggers Wrote:
> detectingMO Wrote:
> -----
> > Omega 8500 is coming very soon, late summer,
> and
> > has many new features. smiling smiley
>
> hope it has wifi phones
>
> and deus V4 may have something special the tomtoms
> have it

No wireless phones does have volume control never seen before on ftp products or any really.
June 21, 2015 02:40AM
D&P-OR Wrote:
> khouse Wrote:
> -----
> > Dan-Pa. Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > Glad Monte has joined the forum as he must be
> a
> > > good typist as he sure gives long concise
> > reports
> > > and is willing to share his expertise...
> > He types with 2 fingers.
>
>
> Yep----by his own admission!-----Two (index)
> fingers "hunt & peck" method.------Make a long
> night, huh!!------Wonder if he ever hits the
> "delete" key instead of the "send" key?-----That
> ever happened Monte? smiling smiley--------In any case---we
> better appreciate his (long) posts---that guy
> works his head (and index fingers) off making
> them! smiling smiley-------Del
Monte types with 2 fingers because he wore all the others off digging targets. He still has his trigger finger to pull the pinpoint toggle though..

Kenny
[www.youtube.com]
June 21, 2015 02:48AM
D&P-OR Wrote:
> khouse Wrote:
> -----
> > Dan-Pa. Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > Glad Monte has joined the forum as he must be
> a
> > > good typist as he sure gives long concise
> > reports
> > > and is willing to share his expertise...
> > He types with 2 fingers.
>
>
> Yep----by his own admission!-----Two (index)
> fingers "hunt & peck" method.------Make a long
> night, huh!!------Wonder if he ever hits the
> "delete" key instead of the "send" key?-----That
> ever happened Monte? smiling smiley--------In any case---we
> better appreciate his (long) posts---that guy
> works his head (and index fingers) off making
> them! smiling smiley-------Del

Typing class was probably the most valuable class I ever took in high school >grinning smiley<
June 21, 2015 10:01AM
I always like to hear from Des........ that storm sounds a lot like a water machine. Its about time the Xcal got a new face or they realized 99% of them being used arent out 200'. Their CTX connectors work and Kelleyco now does PP switches. It would be nice to have a VLF out there with changable coils, headphones, and a PP switch. At half the price of a CTX with little difference in finds its one of the best beach machines made....... why not improve it?

Dew