Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

What is the best (in your opinion) currently available detector for Civil War buttons

Posted by Kevin B 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
What is the best (in your opinion) currently available detector for Civil War buttons
June 20, 2015 01:18AM
Here lately, I have been all hung up on buying a high-frequency (19 khz or higher) metal detector for use in the Large Civil War confederate camp that I am currently detecting. I am presently using a Makro Racer (13 khz?). I realize that there are alot of Civil War relic hunters that are members of this forum. Have you found a detector that is particularly good at finding CW buttons. I always dig a few bullets and other items (knapsack hooks, a J-hook...etc) with my Racer each time I go. I have been using the large 15 inch coil on the Racer.
What about the AT Gold??? Reckon it could be a button killer? Deeptech Vista Gold (25khz) would have been my first pick but a properly working one has been impossible for me to locate. I have already owned several G2's and an F19 (both with Ultimate coils).
Reckon I ought to just go ahead and get it over with and buy a Tesoro Tejon? And the only thing about THAT is......I have heard that one can either get a good, HOT one.....or.....a weak one. And if I was to buy one and it be a weak one, I wouldn't feel right about selling it to anyone.
There are alot worse problems in this world than my little conundrum. But I really would place great value on any of the Civil War relic hunter's opinions on which unit to purchase. Thanks kindly. kevin
DEUS
GMP
DTVG
F19
TEJON =Best Single tone
AT-PRO/GOLD
XTERRA 705 HF Coil
RACER/CoRe
F75/T2

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
Just in the last 3 yrs alone and for FIELD hunting ancient/period sites - I've owned/used/ran 1 or more of each of the following (some I've purchased 2 or 3 times over! lol) but - the Gold bug pro/G2 - F19, Deus, Tejon, E-Trac, CTX 3030, and AT Pro

I've never used the Turk machines but I did watch Keith use the Core for a few days while I was hunting with him this past winter and it seemed to be a very good iron sifter/hot on tiny brass type machine

but

out of ALL the above machines I've personally owned/used in just the last 3 yrs (we're talking mostly newer/faster/higher freq. machines)

the CTX is MY choice for buttons

I think you missed this post of mine last Nov. Kevin? >> [www.dankowskidetectors.com]

Now I'm not claiming that the ctx is the be all do all end all to button hunting but for "me' = it's MY choice!

PS

what Keith said too! lol

I like the F19 for button hunting too (Deus close 2nd to the F19)...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/20/2015 02:01AM by MichiganRelicHunter.
Kevin,
Don't forget about PI machines.
Thanks guys. I appreciate the feedback. I do wish that I could afford a CTX. I really think that it would penetrate my hunting ground really well.......and with with all of those frequencies .........man, I bet that it would open that site up. There were alot of gold dollars found in this site. (not by me).
When it is all said and done.....I reckon i simply need to get my coil OVER a button. But while the ground was damp (in the Spring), I was finding a couple of cuff buttons and the odd coat-sized button about every trip. But now the ground had dried up......even in the woods. Not to mention all of the undergrowth. Forgive my whining. lol I appreciate you guys replies!!!!!!! Sincerely....kevin.
My favorite is my currently owned Etrac. I have owned the AT Gold and several Tesoros over the past couple of years and while they do well at other types of detecting, none compares to the Etrac (for me). It may false a lot with the high tones on nails and big iron but when I hear a low-mid tone just barely blip, I stop in my tracks because I KNOW theres a button or a shotgun shell down there. Now these are older, hunted out sites that have been pounded hard for the last several years.