Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

"Most Valuable" vintage detector?

Posted by go-rebels 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
"Most Valuable" vintage detector?
June 21, 2015 12:52PM
Use your own definitions to describe.

My take: an early Fisher "1021" CZ3D. Still one of the deepest detectors out there possessing a sweet analog sound and one that can often be tuned for greater performance in Tom's workshop.
Re: "Most Valuable" vintage detector?
June 21, 2015 01:11PM
Vintage? Maybe more than 10 years old? Two detectors that have been updated numerous times, but in my personal opinion the original was never improved all that much. The Explorer XS and Sovereign. More bells and whistles were added through the years, but for raw power the first models do their job and then some.
June 21, 2015 01:24PM
Agree with Goodmoore. Give me a Sovereign , and Ill pull silver.
June 21, 2015 01:37PM
Anybody run an Explorer "S" (not an "XS" or "SE"). Now that's vintage!
June 21, 2015 01:43PM
Was the Sovereign the first multi-frequency (>2) detector commercially sold?

Did anyone ever swing one of their early "Eureka Dual Ace" machines?
June 21, 2015 02:13PM
Heck as far as vintage probably a CZ6A which was first made over 20 years ago...CZ3D is really not that old but as far as I am concerned CZ's are old technology at its finest...
Guess we all have our favorites right thru Nautilus, XLT, Explorer to name a few as many of the oldies still going strong and in experienced hands are still top notch...
To each his own and whatever works comes to mind....
June 21, 2015 04:20PM
Is it really considered "Vintage" if it's still being produced? I have to go with the Sovereign as far as "valuable" and not being produced.
June 21, 2015 04:21PM
+1 on the CZ6A. Also gets my vote as the number one overall best detector ever. Still have my original one bought in '92 that is going strong as ever as well as a back up. Won't ever sell those two.
June 21, 2015 04:53PM
I don't know if I would say they were "most valuable", but some of my more enjoyable vintage detectors I have owned would be a fisher CZ5, Compass Gold Scanner Pro, White's XLT, Wilson Con Select.
But the one detector that found me the most silver coins of all.......GoldMaster 66TR. That detector could literally
talk to you. It had it's own language. I believe I bought my first 66TR in 1969 (I think) so I guess that would be considered vintage. Sometime I'll tell you guys a quick story about one of my hunts, It'll sock your knocks off.
June 21, 2015 05:02PM
Sovereign, great for silver, also the Fisher 1266x went deep even if was a.........................nail.
The drawback on Sov was too many people it was heavy, the 1266x went squirrly near emi but so do many detectors. it had a good pinpoint mode not something
I can say about the Sov.
My favourite detector of choice is still the Sov but not had many other to choose from. hh
June 21, 2015 05:08PM
go-rebels Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Anybody run an Explorer "S" (not an "XS" or "SE").
> Now that's vintage!

As I recall that people were always sending the Early Explorers back for repairs, I may be wrong but seems I read that years ago. Though the posters sending back that model were the top hunters at the time.

Knock on wood every detector I owned all were reliable only a few minor problems and have owned many brands.
June 21, 2015 07:47PM
Teknetics Mark 1. Best target id curcuitry ever and definitely the best audio of any detector ever made.
June 21, 2015 08:19PM
I was waiting for someone to say the Teknetics Mark 1. I nearly bought one of it's 'little brothers' last year, just so I could tinker around with it.
Here in the U.K, one dinosaur that some old-timers still like is the Arado 120 and 130. They are heavy, ugly, though surprisingly frugal on one (or 2) PP3 (9 volt) batteries. They are considered deep, but at the expense of having no discrimination at depth. They suffer from aging of the search-coil (resin drying out and shrinking?) and that contributes to the scarcity of good working ones.
June 21, 2015 09:38PM
Compass challenger X-200

Compass Gold Scanner Pro

Treasure Baron With Gold traxx

Wilson relic and Coin IV

Nautilus DMC 2 first one no boosted, train whistle

Whites 5900 Di Pro Sl..CB..

Tesoro Pantera/Bandido

Mark 1 Tek..

1265/1266

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/21/2015 09:40PM by Keith Southern.
June 21, 2015 10:10PM
I think the XL Pro with the tone mod is a great tool for more open, less targeted areas that can be swept at a faster speed. Great scouting detector with it's accurate analog meter, then when a trashy area has been found with it, go back with a slow sweep detector. Just my 2¢.....
June 21, 2015 10:18PM
I had a Treasure baron with all the modules and coils. What a great design. Had the White's 5900, Sovereign and CZ5. The Sovereign with the 8" coil got me Indian heads at 11". I found more old coins with the Sovereign than any other detector I've had. Well I had it a long time smiling smiley.

I had them and wonder now why I don't have them.

Rick
June 23, 2015 05:06PM
Mark 1, Compass X100, CZ6A, sure miss Compass. Wish the were still around.
June 23, 2015 05:48PM
CZ 6a. Deep and weatherproof.
June 23, 2015 05:59PM
The fact that 2-box machines like the Gemini3 and TM808 are still manufactured makes you think they must still work well at what they do. As to their 'value', I guess that depends if they find you something no other machine could......
The finders of this hoard (the Grouville Hoard) used a 2-box (and other regular machines):
[www.dailymail.co.uk]
June 23, 2015 09:41PM
Keith,

What a great List!

I'd add to it...Compass 77B..
Garrett Groundhog
Tesoro Silver Sabre Mk 1

Des
June 24, 2015 04:32AM
therover61 Wrote:
> +1 on the CZ6A. Also gets my vote as the number
> one overall best detector ever. Still have my
> original one bought in '92 that is going strong as
> ever as well as a back up. Won't ever sell those
> two.

if you ever change your mind,look me up,i'll take it off your hands!
had one in '92..sweetest analog audio on silver,and one deep (s.o.b.)

(h.h.!)
j.t.
June 24, 2015 04:41AM
Hombre Wrote:
> I think the XL Pro with the tone mod is a great
> tool for more open, less targeted areas that can
> be swept at a faster speed. Great scouting
> detector with it's accurate analog meter, then
> when a trashy area has been found with it, go back
> with a slow sweep detector. Just my 2¢.....

hey hombre!
i found that if a trashy area was encountered,i usually just mounted the
5.3 "black max" and had at it running " geb sat mode" scanning very slowly!
was able to get great separation in the junk!.i'm just sayin'

(h.h.!)
j.t.
June 24, 2015 01:42PM
compass 77B is an amazing machine on polluted river sites
June 26, 2015 05:08PM
I'll have to go with the two I have used most, Tesoro Bandido (original) and Troy X5. Still using the Bandido I bought in 92 and the X5 I bought in 03. Yes I've been living in a cave awhile.... the X5 is certainly deeper and hotter on small/low conductors but the Bandido is no slouch either and a bit better in iron/bad ground. BTW, both will pass Keith's dime on edge in the deck test with flying colors, thanks Mr Southern I somehow never thought of doing it that way.....
June 26, 2015 07:12PM
Lovely machines, but except for Whites and Fisher, if they break, it's all over. There is one famous source for repair in Texas, but, sadly, my experience with him (twice) has been that it takes forever and when you get them back, they still don't work right. For Minelabs that Minelab no longer supports, I have no idea what you would do.

Too bad.

Rick Kempf
Gold Canyon AZ- where there is no gold
June 29, 2015 12:59AM
lytle78 Wrote:
> Lovely machines, but except for Whites and Fisher,
> if they break, it's all over.

And Garrett.
June 29, 2015 01:39AM
1021 CZ I'll never get rid of mine. I got it new in 2004. It's got a lifetime warranty on it. But that's not why I don't sell it. It's deep it might lie about nails but its very good on silver & minie balls. Just my opinion. HH TIM
June 29, 2015 01:08PM
The 1021 has it's own language in nails. Tom describes it well in his video. It's not F75 or Racer capable in iron but the 8" coil seems to work better than my ETrac fitted with the stock 11" DD.
November 05, 2015 12:00AM
Cz-29,cz-5,cz-6a,cz-70 etc.
Still the most stable and deepest units out there.
Fisher would be insane to drop this technology, upgrade sure,F75 style.
November 05, 2015 12:35PM
Fisher 1265/1266x and a Tesoro Bandido II would be my picks!