Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

White's V3i and EMI ?

Posted by Harold,ILL. 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
White's V3i and EMI ?
June 22, 2015 09:35PM
I was wondering about the White's V3i and EMI. I have heard many say that the V3i is EMI sensitive, But others seem to run smooth with out any tweeking? And both are used in parks and not way out in the boonie's? I was wondering do some just have bad coils or are lemons as I don't get the differences in detectors? Example is a video awhile back by earthmaster doin all kinds of things to set it up smooth. But Bill S. has had 2-3 different V3i's and never had any EMI issues to adjust for and they run smooth as silk? I wonder if some are lemons? This concern's me as I really want to try and pick one up used to try,But a little gun shy? Any opinion's out there?
Re: White's V3i and EMI ?
June 22, 2015 10:17PM
Harold,
The V3i was originally a V3. It was upgraded to V3i. The primary reason for the upgrade was V3 instability.

Site for site the Minelabs will be less EMI sensitive on average.

The 10dd coil is IMO a weak link. And earlier there were some issues with the 10dd coils with improper set podding.

The SEF coils I used made the V3i more stable. This 13" coil they are offering=I have no experience.

There are ways in which a person can try to mitigate the EMI, and the TX boost is one of those options-allows less gain but TX boost get back some of the lost depth with lower gain. There's a salt mode to help as well, but some depth is sacrificed.

I think it would be fair to say some coils are better made/put together than others; this applies to all detectors though I feel.
June 23, 2015 04:10AM
The 2.5khz frequency is the one that is mostly EMI vulnerable and that's only in situations where EMI is more than average. There is a lot you can do to reduce the affect EMI is having on the V3i. I used mine in the middle of a town and was getting real bad EMI(I was running hot though too). I raised the coil up in the air and pinpoint and the green 2.5khz frequency shot up just as it pointed to a power line transformer about 50-75 feet away. I changed the ground filter and it was more stable, however there were a number of things i could of done:

Turned down the sensitivity.

Switched to single frequency 7.5 or 22.5

Used the frequency offset

Im sure a few other things.

As for "lemon coils", before i bought my V3i, i did 2 months of research and read there are more than average amount of dud coils that come with the V3i. My advice is to buy new if possible or, buy from someone you really trust.

Bey
TW-10 minutes
June 23, 2015 04:25AM
As far as the coils. They are supposed to be V-rated for the detector. I did have a non v-rated 10x12" sef coil, and it would give no overload with RX gain maxed at 15 with TX boost ON. So my coil was in fact a rare one. The 22.5 freq would provide a little higher VDI than normal on say coins though.

Now the SEF coils are made V-rated.

As far as checking a coil on a White's V3i. There was a time the proper test was indeed RX gain max 15 TX boost ON--no overload. Then White's changed the "proper" test to just RX gain maxed 15- TX boost OFF.

Today, I don't know what the current "proper" coil test is---according to White's.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/23/2015 04:27AM by tnsharpshooter.
June 23, 2015 11:15AM
I'm swinging a V3 again after many years.
Back in 2009 I had terrible EMI issues with it.

I acquired an Eclipse 950 coil and went back to a few areas where I had the problems and voila...no issues!

Heard the E Series coil better for salt beach use too!
June 23, 2015 09:44PM
Des D Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm swinging a V3 again after many years.
> Back in 2009 I had terrible EMI issues with it.
>
> I acquired an Eclipse 950 coil and went back to a
> few areas where I had the problems and voila...no
> issues!
>
> Heard the E Series coil better for salt beach use
> too!

So this wasn't a V rated coil?
June 24, 2015 02:47AM
Beyonder-Pa Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The 2.5khz frequency is the one that is mostly EMI
> vulnerable and that's only in situations where EMI
> is more than average. There is a lot you can do to
> reduce the affect EMI is having on the V3i. I used
> mine in the middle of a town and was getting real
> bad EMI(I was running hot though too). I raised
> the coil up in the air and pinpoint and the green
> 2.5khz frequency shot up just as it pointed to a
> power line transformer about 50-75 feet away. I
> changed the ground filter and it was more stable,
> however there were a number of things i could of
> done:
>
> Turned down the sensitivity.
>
> Switched to single frequency 7.5 or 22.5
>
> Used the frequency offset
>
> Im sure a few other things.
>
> As for "lemon coils", before i bought my V3i, i
> did 2 months of research and read there are more
> than average amount of dud coils that come with
> the V3i. My advice is to buy new if possible or,
> buy from someone you really trust.
>
> Bey
> TW-10 minutes

Thanks for this input bey. What ground filter worked and which one didn't?

Thanks,
bubba
June 24, 2015 03:53AM
You will find the lower 5khz ones are more susceptible to EMI so I switched to 7.5khz band pass. However, it was right for that situation. A different situation may need different changes.

Bey
tw-1 min