Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Confederate Flag?

Posted by Harold,ILL. 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: Confederate Flag?
July 10, 2015 06:46PM

This image of Hood's Texas Brigade gives me goosebumps. I dare someone try and take down the Texas flag. So, why is no one attacking the Texas flag? Probably because it's not a battle that can be won. Since no one cares to understand the history behind the Confederate flag, it is an easy target for those looking for a quick win. Just part of someone's political agenda.

Edit: Hood's Texas Brigade at Gettysburg

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/10/2015 06:55PM by aguerrero56.
July 10, 2015 07:56PM
The world has gone bonkers. I'm disappointed in that ruling and in the folks that voted to ban the Reb flag. I'm as Yankee as you can get, geography wise. My GG Grandfather most likely watched those flags marching onto the Gettysburg Battlefield, shaking in his boots, then took a mine ball on the second days battle. Like I said, the world is loosing it.
July 10, 2015 10:18PM
ozzie
I'm disappointed in that ruling and in the folks that voted to ban the Reb flag.

I'm as Yankee as you can get too. But if you grew up Black in the South, trust me, you wouldn't be disappointed today.
July 10, 2015 11:53PM
Ladies and Gentlemen,

Can we PLEASE let this post die out and work it's way down the list! The recent political actions against the Confederate Battle Flag might make civil war relics more collectible and yield higher prices (for those who sell finds), other than that, it has little to do with Metal Detecting and has become unsettling to some members. Please also remember to show due respect to ALL forum members, let's refrain from 'calling people out', name calling and accusing people of being other people (even if they deserve it). Let us not bring problems from other forums to this one.

Thanks Y'all,

Wally smileys with beer
July 11, 2015 12:22AM
At this point in time go-reb, it's one of those things where I can only see it from my angle,. Haven't talked with any brothers about the flag issue. Would be interesting to know if a northern black has different views than a southern black.

Edit: Wild Wally, your post got in front of mine before reading it.....excuse me.

Question; Are we not allowed to stray from detecting occasionally? Like in the past, or are the forum rules changing?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/11/2015 12:32AM by ozzie.
July 11, 2015 11:04AM
This is an Open Forum to discuss any metal detecting questions or subjects. Please feel free to discuss any metal detecting subject, in good taste and with due respect to all users. Thomas Dankowski frequents this forum and is happy to share his knowledge and experience about metal detecting to answer questions along with many other metal detecting experts who frequent this forum.

This is the forum description located on the page link that brings you to the forum. The text that is bold and underlined is as it is written......
July 11, 2015 11:32AM
Cadman, when I joined the forum those rules were a bit different,... remembering correctly.
I also see this subject as being related to detecting.... in a big way.
July 11, 2015 11:46AM
Wally, just treat this entire thread as one big ad for Nike shoes and delete it!
July 11, 2015 11:48AM
I think the forum description changed during the Kemper episode......

This subject matter may have started out being related to detecting, but, people started interjecting their personal politics into it and it went downhill from there.
July 11, 2015 12:16PM
I wonder if they're going to try to change or erase the history of the Civil War and confiscate and destroy all war relics, because they deem the history and relics of that war as offensive? Maybe even ban metal detecting for Cival War relics.

Planet of the Apes comes to mind.

tabman
July 11, 2015 12:27PM
wildwally1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Ladies and Gentlemen,
>
> Can we PLEASE let this post die out and work it's
> way down the list! The recent political actions
> against the Confederate Battle Flag might make
> civil war relics more collectible and yield higher
> prices (for those who sell finds), other than
> that, it has little to do with Metal Detecting and
> has become unsettling to some members. Please
> also remember to show due respect to ALL forum
> members, let's refrain from 'calling people out',
> name calling and accusing people of being other
> people (even if they deserve it). Let us not
> bring problems from other forums to this one.
>
> Thanks Y'all,
>
> Wally smileys with beer

+ 1
July 11, 2015 04:16PM
Wally, just treat this entire thread as one big ad for Nike shoes and delete it!

+1
July 12, 2015 02:06AM
wildwally1 Wrote:
> Ladies and Gentlemen,
>
> Can we PLEASE let this post die out and work it's
> way down the list! The recent political actions
> against the Confederate Battle Flag might make
> civil war relics more collectible and yield higher
> prices (for those who sell finds), other than
> that, it has little to do with Metal Detecting and
> has become unsettling to some members. Please
> also remember to show due respect to ALL forum
> members, let's refrain from 'calling people out',
> name calling and accusing people of being other
> people (even if they deserve it). Let us not
> bring problems from other forums to this one.
>
> Thanks Y'all,
>
> Wally
smileys with beer

Seems like many aren't paying attention Wally!??! (In before the lock!)
July 12, 2015 04:03AM
How do Canadians feel about the flag of Quebec?

If people really Knew history,, that Symbol would be atrocious to them..

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
July 12, 2015 04:21AM
Keith Southern Wrote:
> How do Canadians feel about the flag of Quebec?
>
> If people really Knew history,, that Symbol would
> be atrocious to them..
>
> Keith

I don't think too many Canadians may have posted about the current flag controversy. I just like US politics and that's about it, re Quebec well guess should know more about Quebec but do live on the other side. I do remember not so long ago when Canada had the war measure act re the FLQ fiasco, but earlier history bit vague to be quite honest.

oj/bc
July 12, 2015 05:03AM
Thats the problem with the world today..

people seem to Have forgotten REAL HISTORY and pay attention to flash in the pan News...

Im no scholar by a long shot....But Heres some info without getting books out...

That Symbol was once used to mark runaway slaves.

French colonies around the world in the 18th century used that symbol by branding slaves with the fleur de lis as punishment for running away.

its a French supremacy symbol..

But heck they will go after Get New Orleans First LOL...if anyone Knows to observe it?

that's the problem we face today..everything will offend someone to some degree...

My Dad told me once remember when you point that finger at some one because on that same hand three more point back at you...

No of us are without fault....TRUE HISTORY prove's this...

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/12/2015 05:05AM by Keith Southern.
July 12, 2015 11:44AM
A toxic thread to begin with. It had no where to go but down. Even after Wally asked for decency it lasted for a few hours. People are hateful by nature and politics sure brings it out. We found out on what side of the political isle many of us stand and that will not change through name calling and arguing on this forum. This entire thread should of had it's head cut off when it was started. Of course that is just my opinion. It seems the hatred runs too strong to let it die on it's own. And that is unfortunate for a great detecting forum. I don't care who you vote for or where you live. If you want to swing a detector with me you are more than welcome. I think that is the greatest thing about our hobby. Meeting people that share that passion. People that look at old properties and start drooling. The only thing to argue over is who goes left and who goes right.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/12/2015 11:47AM by goodmore.
Anonymous User
July 12, 2015 02:56PM
cadman Wrote:
> I think the forum description changed during the
> Kemper episode......
>
>
> This subject matter may have started out being
> related to detecting, but, people started
> interjecting their personal politics into it and
> it went downhill from there.

Mr. Kemper did not discuss political issues and his posts were metal detecting related. The highlight changes came about after Kemper left this forum.

Kemper has more class than to talk about someone where they cannot respond. While some of you may have had difficulty staying on topic of his threads they were detecting related. Perhaps some of you can show the class Kemper brought to this forum.

I would also like to mention that he has an attractive wife and a cute puppy that he is more than willing to talk about if anyone feels the need to get off topic. Hugs sent.
July 12, 2015 03:26PM
MissesK Wrote:
> cadman Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I think the forum description changed during
> the
> > Kemper episode......
> >
> >
> > This subject matter may have started out being
> > related to detecting, but, people started
> > interjecting their personal politics into it
> and
> > it went downhill from there.
>

Welcome back Kemper, you don't know how much you were missed and loved smiling smiley
>
> Mr. Kemper did not discuss political issues and
> his posts were metal detecting related. The
> highlight changes came about after Kemper left
> this forum.
>
> Kemper has more class than to talk about someone
> where they cannot respond. While some of you may
> have had difficulty staying on topic of his
> threads they were detecting related. Perhaps some
> of you can show the class Kemper brought to this
> forum.
>
> I would also like to mention that he has an
> attractive wife and a cute puppy that he is more
> than willing to talk about if anyone feels the
> need to get off topic. Hugs sent.
Anonymous User
July 12, 2015 04:05PM
guvmore Wrote:
> MissesK Wrote:
> -----
> > cadman Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > I think the forum description changed during
> > the
> > > Kemper episode......
> > >
> > >
> > > This subject matter may have started out
> being
> > > related to detecting, but, people started
> > > interjecting their personal politics into it
> > and
> > > it went downhill from there.
> >
>
> Welcome back Kemper, you don't know how much you
> were missed and loved smiling smiley
> >
> > Mr. Kemper did not discuss political issues and
> > his posts were metal detecting related. The
> > highlight changes came about after Kemper left
> > this forum.
> >

> > Kemper has more class than to talk about
> someone
> > where they cannot respond. While some of you
> may
> > have had difficulty staying on topic of his
> > threads they were detecting related. Perhaps
> some
> > of you can show the class Kemper brought to
> this
> > forum.
> >
> > I would also like to mention that he has an
> > attractive wife and a cute puppy that he is
> more
> > than willing to talk about if anyone feels the
> > need to get off topic. Hugs sent.

Hi guvmore. Fortunately I get to spend a lot of time with Kemper. Glad you had the pleasure of spending some time with him on this great forum. He went detecting for a while ,came home, gave me a foot massage, petted the puppy and was headed out to the flea market. Said something about a flag. If he gets one I hope it has stars on it. I'll tell him you miss and love him and I'm sure he feels the same about you. Gotta go for now and get my bikini on. He likes me running around in my bikini and he usually gets what he wants. Hugs.
July 12, 2015 04:36PM
MissesK Wrote:
> guvmore Wrote:
> -----
> > MissesK Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > cadman Wrote:
> > >
> >
>
> >
> > > -----
> > > > I think the forum description changed
> during
> > > the
> > > > Kemper episode......
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > This subject matter may have started out
> > being
> > > > related to detecting, but, people started
> > > > interjecting their personal politics into
> it
> > > and
> > > > it went downhill from there.
> > >
> >
> > Welcome back Kemper, you don't know how much
> you
> > were missed and loved smiling smiley
> > >
> > > Mr. Kemper did not discuss political issues
> and
> > > his posts were metal detecting related. The
> > > highlight changes came about after Kemper
> left
> > > this forum.
> > >
>
>
> > > Kemper has more class than to talk about
> > someone
> > > where they cannot respond. While some of you
> > may
> > > have had difficulty staying on topic of his
> > > threads they were detecting related. Perhaps
> > some
> > > of you can show the class Kemper brought to
> > this
> > > forum.
> > >
> > > I would also like to mention that he has an
> > > attractive wife and a cute puppy that he is
> > more
> > > than willing to talk about if anyone feels
> the
> > > need to get off topic. Hugs sent.
>
>
> Hi guvmore. Fortunately I get to spend a lot of
> time with Kemper. Glad you had the pleasure of
> spending some time with him on this great forum.
> He went detecting for a while ,came home, gave me
> a foot massage, petted the puppy and was headed
> out to the flea market. Said something about a
> flag. If he gets one I hope it has stars on it.
> I'll tell him you miss and love him and I'm sure
> he feels the same about you. Gotta go for now and
> get my bikini on. He likes me running around in my
> bikini and he usually gets what he wants. Hugs.

Oh no, here we go again eye rolling smiley. Get ready for some "strange" threads folks.
July 12, 2015 05:25PM
After reading all 10 pages of this all I can say is wow. I guess some people just don't know or care about being civil to one another anymore. Seems you can't have an honest opinion without a label being placed on you like racist or homophobe.

I have a few left leaning people in my family and we have had some heated political discussions but I always kept it in perspective.
They are my family and care about me and I care about them.

Believe it or not, most people whether left or right wants what's best for this country and if you start out with that assumption and the willingness to perhaps consider someone elses opinion rather than dismiss them as uneducated or a redneck, than we could perhaps make some positive inroads in this country that helps everyone, not just the loudest bullhorn weilding special interest group.

You should wonder why our current administration has decided to take on all these divisive issues right now. It;'s certainly not to unite the people. In fact he's done more to divide the people through his executive orders than anyone I can remember and don't tell me about other presidents signing more executive orders than Obama. Naming post offices and highways and shoring up some budgetary items is not the same as passing laws that affect everyone that never would have passed if put up to referendum.

Funny how the 60's generation who back then didn't want the government or society telling them what to think or believe now want to make their thoughts and beliefs mandatory through legislation.

Despite the beliefs of some on the left and right. One size does not fit all in this country and people used to understand this and nobody left or right used to trust the goverment. Bring that attitude back and we can start to fix this country the right way through honest debate instead of the "My way or the Highway" philosophy of this current administration.

Just my 2 cents (both zincolns).

HH
John

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 07/12/2015 05:30PM by DirtyJohn.
Anonymous User
July 12, 2015 05:29PM
Please also remember to show due respect to ALL forum members, let's refrain from 'calling people out', name calling and accusing people of being other people (even if they deserve it). Let us not bring problems from other forums to this one. " Cool way of looking at it Wally and I agree. My husband is not innocent of some of those things and I clearly pointed that out to him more than once. He said " I just have to look good, I don't have to be clear " I think he stole that from a Don Henley song.

I would appreciate it if you would unblock our IP address so it would be easier for me to post. I'll keep an eye on him so he doesn't post. I do ask that you consider letting him post again but can see someone's point if they would think the only thing worse than Kemper on a forum is two Kempers on a forum. Hugs.
July 12, 2015 06:17PM
I guess since the topic was about the confederate flag that I should give my thoughts on that for what it's worth.

I never had a problem with people who liked the flag. It always felt like a symbol of rebelious spirit to me and honored alot of people's ancestors who died in that war who fought just as honorably as those in the north and deserve to be remembered. They were not Nazis.

I can certainly understand how some might not see it that way and that it doesn't symbolize that to you but you don't know what's in everyones heart. Their intentions and your opinions of their intentions aren't necessarily the same and just because some misuse the flag for their racist agenda does not mean they are in the majority. You don't have the right to eliminate everything you might consider offensive. That's a double edged sword that swings both ways.

Some Americans and people around the world view the current flag of our country as a symbol of oppression and colonialism. Should we take that down to appease these perpetually offended agenda driven marxists?

I will say that I never understood why this flag would fly above state houses or capitol buildings underneath the American flag. That seems a paradoxical relationship to me, as one stands for all 50 states untited and the other represents a war that divided and nearly destroyed this country.

HH
John

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/12/2015 06:19PM by DirtyJohn.
July 12, 2015 06:29PM
Kemper is MissesK trying to come back as his wife, he tried it before on other forums, kemper has been banned on 2 other forums since being banned from here for the same reasons he was banned here and all the other forums..
Anonymous User
July 12, 2015 07:53PM
Treasure_hunter Wrote:
> Kemper is MissesK trying to come back as his wife,
> he tried it before on other forums, kemper has
> been banned on 2 other forums since being banned
> from here for the same reasons he was banned here
> and all the other forums..

Please do as Wally suggested here. I'm sure any of them can contact me and I will be glad to call them if they wish. I look forward to an apology from you for your negative and untrue accusations. Keep your negativity and lies away from me. No Hugs.
Anonymous User
July 12, 2015 07:55PM
I remember years ago having one of those little license plate things that was a rebel flag. We got pulled over and I felt at the time that we were being unjustly targeted. We were heading southbound in the northbound lane so I feel it could have been a territorial issue. We didn't have a regular license plate either so I feel that you have to watch how and where you display it. The officer had one of those accents too " yo wid the litlle shats on, step outta the cah " I said Y'all gonna stop me on my way to Dolla Gentral ? " Usually not a good idea to be cute with an officer but Gary said I didn't have a choice.

Nowadays you shouldn't drive southbound in the northbound lane or display the flag in a bad way. Shouldn't get cute with authority either on these flag issues. Getting cute is sorta like driving someone crazy. No need to do either if someone is already there. Hugs.
July 12, 2015 08:59PM
For the record while this thread spirals out of control, I do apologize to the forum members for some of my posts and do hope though others treat everyone with respect. We all knew political threads don't end well. HH
July 12, 2015 10:02PM
Guvmore was the first and only member to welcome Kemper back and tell him how much he was missed----very telling.
July 12, 2015 10:07PM
doc holiday Wrote:
> Guvmore was the first and only member to welcome
> Kemper back and tell him how much he was
> missed----very telling.

Your post shows how little you are not me, I enjoyed many of Kempers post which has nothing to do with you or what posters I enjoy or not.Kindly mind your own matters.