Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

What the CTX does with stock coil in iron

Posted by Keith Southern 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
What the CTX does with stock coil in iron
June 26, 2015 01:54AM
using the FBS transmission methods is beyond impressive...

Spent a few hours this week comparing signals with the Signum and the racer against the CTX on some low conductors in a site Ive hunted to death ..

I chose this spot becasue its just iron nails scattered about not super thick but still a lot of grunts on every sweep..

I was using 11 inch coils on all units....DD....

I was using my OUTSIDE THE BOX METHOD for the CTX ..

Run down

50 tone Conduct..
no pattern open screen.
30 manual sens
no ground bal
normal response
no filter for fast or deep turned on..
low trash selected.....WRONG!!and heres where the heavens opened up for me..

I have been astonished with where they have took the FBS with the CTX especially with combined option and user definded tone break..

but I was alwasy alittle let down with the way the machine seemed too Quiet in the ground compared to the Explorer XS..

Well to get the heavens to open up all it took was a simple drop down to the option of ground coin...PRESTO!!

there it was the gorund noise I had so long wanted for the CTX...alive and well and doing fine...and by selecting this there comes my never ending RINGING of mineral..I LOVE THAT...but it also lets the iron be more BLEEDY along with the mineral..

and thats when the CTX pulled ahead this week and for the first time ever with this FBS 2 platform I was able to use my OUT OF BOX SETTINGS and outdo the others in trash hearing the lowest of conductors large coil vs large coil,,

wasnt alot but its was stuff/relics the other units could not lock on to and good depth to boot 7-10 inch range in iron nails in the hole..

Just listen for the blunt hit in all the ringing,,Go slow ,,find that dead dud hit dotn look at the screen listned for that low hit and dig...I even dug a carved dice and once retrieved the hole was still just solid iron ..the other machiens could not hear this target..I went on to find cuff buttons and pack studs and carved lead in holes full of iron that was ran so low on the other units they were called iron only....

I knew the CTX had to have a way to run like an Explorer and couple it with the NEW FBS 2.. and yes its the Ground coin setting..

I discovered the ground coin setting last week in some 6 Fe bar dirt...I had tried it before in good dirt and marked it off as no go...well I turned it on in mineral because it was runnig so quite in the other setting I use which is high trash or low trash...and when I selected ground coin the whole site LIT UP with noise...

I used it this week in some spots in low to medium mineral and full of iron and it lit up those sites like the Explorer would...

Unreal!

I was enamored with the CTX now Im fully blown away...

sometimes Im a slow learner..have to find things out for myself..cant read it ,,,i have to do it for it to sink in..

The CTX is no longer over filtered..That's a AWESOME THING...

CTX now 100% confirmed my favorite do all machine...

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/26/2015 03:12AM by Keith Southern.
Re: What the CTX does with stock coil in iron
June 26, 2015 02:20AM
Keith I believe you ... but so many tests have shown the FBS machines to null amongst elongated iron, to the point that it is about useless. I really am surprised that those 'faster' machines with there superior reactivity on nail-board tests aren't your favorite machine in dense iron.
June 26, 2015 02:33AM
Don't the manual say ground coin is for more mineralized soil. I have used it some. One thing I noticed was the ferrrous number on most targets (mid depths and a little deeper), was all over the place, but the detector worked well none the less. But in sites like the one described, it mostly tone all the way!!!.
June 26, 2015 02:48AM
The most impressive video of the CTX in iron that I have ever seen. Do you need a smaller coil?

[www.youtube.com]
June 26, 2015 03:04AM
Will it pass Monte's nail board test with those settings? Or even the other tough test with the stacked 2x4's with the nails on top and the target at a lower level? Thanks Keith for your dedication on the CTX. I liked mine but didn't love it for the typical reasons.
June 26, 2015 03:19AM
Johnnyanglo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Keith I believe you ... but so many tests have
> shown the FBS machines to null amongst elongated
> iron, to the point that it is about useless. I
> really am surprised that those 'faster' machines
> with there superior reactivity on nail-board tests
> aren't your favorite machine in dense iron.

Maybe Ive lost you in my ramblings Johnny..

What i like about the CTX is the ability to see SOME targets intermingled in iron thats SUPER low Conductor to the point of being called iron on a VLF FAST unit..

The OUT OF BOX method only works for those targets...the targets that are more closer to and and above tone break on a VLF are where the CTX cant quite match..

the CTX has the unique ability to report a tone response in bad dirt and in nails for really really low conductive target's..

I can take the CTX and use Combined and set my Fe tone break at say 32 and run it like a VLF but it wont quite unmask like a VLF with tone break....but I can take My CTX and set it to conductive 50 tone and get SOME targets dragged below nails in conductance...

And im not sure i follow you on the null..with the way I have the CTX set up there is no null..there can be some tone LINGER or maybe some RECOVERY delay.. but never a NULL..

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/26/2015 03:21AM by Keith Southern.
June 26, 2015 03:30AM
TabWhisperer Wrote:
> Will it pass Monte's nail board test with those
> settings? Or even the other tough test with the
> stacked 2x4's with the nails on top and the target
> at a lower level? Thanks Keith for your
> dedication on the CTX. I liked mine but didn't
> love it for the typical reasons.

Nail board
[www.youtube.com]

Nail Deck
[www.youtube.com]

50 tone conductive unmask in iron
[www.youtube.com]

I did these a couple of years ago..

Ive now learned about the ground coin setting and its even more sleuthy and addds depth to the scenario..

Keith

-Nikola Tesla
June 26, 2015 03:33AM
tnsharpshooter Wrote:
> Don't the manual say ground coin is for more
> mineralized soil. I have used it some. One thing
> I noticed was the ferrrous number on most targets
> (mid depths and a little deeper), was all over the
> place, but the detector worked well none the less.
> But in sites like the one described, it mostly
> tone all the way!!!.

Yes its for mineral..and Im sure they plan on it being used with a pattern.. but no pattern and let the noise ring form the soil and the iffy low conductors can have a bteer chance to tone alert...yes dont worry about the visual..

Units a beast for depth when its mineral RINGING just like the old XS explorer..

Keith

-Nikola Tesla
June 26, 2015 04:07AM
Evidently the less stable ferrous reading provided with ground coin is connected with less filtering. What you have discovered Keith, you may be able to maybe break the code on their next flagship, when they do release it. It will be interesting to see if they keep the waterproof feature intact, or if not at least reduce overall weight.
I've had some good times with minelabs Etrac and CTX. I've got my fingers crossed. The mineral handling they provide-hard to get away from. And my soil on average is a little less mineralized than yours based on your vids/posts.
This ole XS I got for a souvenir, when it cools off, I plan on using some.
June 26, 2015 04:26AM
Correct TNSS...Less filtering...

And it will not be that noticable of a gain if you have a pattern on the screen especially a Iron pattern..

I kept wondering how to get the MINERAL ring on the CTX...the Etrac lost the mineral ring....and I was afraid the CTX had too. but no Its there in all its glory...

Im very stoked right now..and as Happy as a lark...

I love FBS technology for my soil and now I know the CTX is an Amped up FBS..

Its just crazy sensitive on low conductors in the soil..

Keith

-Nikola Tesla
June 26, 2015 04:32AM
WRONG thread oops

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/26/2015 04:34AM by guvmore.
June 26, 2015 04:58AM
Keith,
We both realize the CTX has both the ferrous coin process and ground coin process. Etrac don't have.
This manual ground balance capability the CTX has. This has always bothered me as to why they added it. Have you ever found a use for it to increase performance in certain situations?? I think Johnny Anglo did some tests and his test showed GB it seemed was critical for detection at depth. Surely it has a purpose. I did find a deeeep spanish bit in a hard hunted site while using it, but I can't prove it was attributed to manual GB application.
June 26, 2015 05:26AM
Yes Im not fond of the ferrous coin process..Seems for lack of better words Boggy..

Seems the Ground coin takes care of the Filtering and returns to old form XS type Punch with an added bonus of the newer faster processor FBS2 twist in the mix......Also seemsto give that flutey high hit people have wanted from the CTX...

I usually dont run a grond bal.. as in my dirt its ever changing and the CTX needs to be dead on if locked or it suffer's..

turned off I like better as deep targetw ill reprot that locked might miss..

I was in a spot where I locked it and it stopped the falsing on the end of the swing... seemed it added stability but not depth in that soil..

and if your running Ground coin you dont want it locked...I want to hear everything under the coil that locked may not allow.

its not your typical ground system i think its more DSP when manual is activated for grabbing and locking an it removes what it thinks is ground feedback Via filtering..

-Nikola Tesla
June 26, 2015 04:22PM
Good thread, lots of good info here. Thanks for posting.

I think 50Conductive is under rated. Gonna have to play with Ground Coin some more.
June 27, 2015 04:37AM

=".with the way I have the CTX set up there is no null..there can be some tone LINGER or maybe some RECOVERY delay.. but never a NULL.."

Kieth, perhaps you can do a nail board test on video ... use your super low conductors between iron(nails). Would be very interesting to see the CTX actually reacts (not silent).
June 27, 2015 10:38AM
This is a nice video. It would be interesting to have tested these targets with a Deus, Racer, F75 etc...
June 27, 2015 10:42AM
June 27, 2015 12:40PM
Wait tell you get used to the 6" coil....unreal!!!
June 27, 2015 02:14PM
I would expect no Less from a $2500 machine.
June 27, 2015 04:20PM
Detectorist Wrote:
> I would expect no Less from a $2500 machine.

I know what youre saying but a new one can be had for quite a bit less than $2500
June 28, 2015 04:20PM
Ground coin has been working well for me on ultra deep silver and copper coins at older hammered public sites with plenty of deep rusty nails for about three tears now . It does seem to make the CTX a bit more sparky with high manual sensitivity . A quiet smooth operating machine is nice but for max performance you gotta open the CTX up and let her talk to you and then learn her language well.
June 30, 2015 03:08AM
[m.youtube.com]

A youtube video showing the CTX failing to respond to a high conductor between iron isn't going to prove Keith's point of the CTX uncovering low conductors between iron.
June 30, 2015 01:00PM
The 3-dimensional test is far different than the 2-dimensional test we often see with stuff laying on the surface.

I have duplicated Tom's "complex" test garden target using a silver dime and my Etrac performs worse than my F75 with like coils.
June 30, 2015 01:53PM
I just made a post on the AHRPS forum about this very same masking subject, only the find was made in real dirt. It seems that you never have a camera when a Eureka moment comes along. You can find this story in the General Metal Detecting forum.
June 30, 2015 02:15PM
AHRPS?

Link?
June 30, 2015 04:24PM
I'm not that great at computers, AHRPS.org is Monte's forum, just google it, I'm Hombre on that forum too.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/30/2015 04:30PM by Hombre.