Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

OT Has anyone experienced Freeze Dried Food?

Posted by possum mo 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
OT Has anyone experienced Freeze Dried Food?
June 26, 2015 10:04PM
Whats it like? Edible, or gross? I'm thinking on stocking some for emergency purposes , just wondering what your experiences have been? Thanks.
Re: OT Has anyone experienced Freeze Dried Food?
June 26, 2015 10:12PM
Try them out before you buy , one of each you want then you can make a choice what you like .
June 26, 2015 10:28PM
I eat the mountain house and backcountry pantry stuff all the time...fabulous! These are geared for backpacking....I just bought some today at REI.
I only buy these because Im basically to lazy to make ip a bunch of food for my hiking trips.
June 26, 2015 11:28PM
What duration of emergency are you thinking of? Days, weeks, months.....? Answer is different as the duration extends.

Advice to try beforehand is spot-on.
June 26, 2015 11:51PM
tastes like chicken smiling smiley
June 27, 2015 12:14AM
Im looking at the canned variety, some is good for 25 years. Might be smart to have a stash, just in case.
June 27, 2015 01:08AM
For long term, a better value than freeze dried is the LDS/Mormon canned food. 30 year storage life (except milk products which are 20) on the basics and you wont find better value (defined as calories per $). And speaking of calories, be CERTAIN of how many calories you are buying. Don't believe anyone when they say "meal' or 'serving'. Go strictly by calories or you will get cheated.

Anyway, if you are near a Mormon cannery, call them up and see what their hours are, and if you aren't, you can order from them online. Provident Living, I think their food storage program is called. Excellent people to deal with ime- the food storage folks among the LDS know their stuff and are eager to help others. Their philosophy is that every person that is prepared for a disaster is one that wont be a burden on the relief effort.

Be glad to discuss further via PM/email if you'd like. The food storage industry is shot full of outright liars and crooks so beware (Mtn House is one of the good guys, of course).

imo:
less than a week: freeze dried and MRE's.
less than a year: basic canned food
more than a year: LDS long term storage

but store what you eat and eat what you store. in an emergency, you don't want to find out that you are allergic to red winter wheat, or your that your intestines will hate you for textured vegtable protein, etc....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/27/2015 01:09AM by Champ Ferguson.
June 27, 2015 02:43AM
I always figure, If the world goes to hell...well. Im an outdoorsman. I fish, hunt, and recognize at least some edible plants. A country boy will survive. If nothing else, I need to lose 10 pounds!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/27/2015 02:12PM by deathray.
June 27, 2015 12:51PM
Thanks Champ for your very educational post. I will look into your sources.
Ray, you might have alot of competition out in those woods!
I hope you have enough water to fish in!
June 27, 2015 04:18PM
deathray Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I always figure, If the world goes to hell...well.
> Im an outdoorsman. I fish, hunt, and recognize at
> least some edible plants. A country boy will
> survive. If nothing else, I need to lose 10
> pounds!

My tactic is a bit different. I started making a list of everybody I knew that was vocal about being anti gun. So I know they don't own anything to protect themselves. If things get bad and it hits the fan...they are first on my grocery shopping list for supplies I need or anything else I may want. smiling smiley
June 27, 2015 04:28PM
Aluminum foil packaging - the Devil's work!!

Rick Kempf
Gold Canyon AZ- where there is no gold
June 27, 2015 06:27PM
Daniel Tn Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> deathray Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I always figure, If the world goes to
> hell...well.
> > Im an outdoorsman. I fish, hunt, and recognize
> at
> > least some edible plants. A country boy will
> > survive. If nothing else, I need to lose 10
> > pounds!
>
> My tactic is a bit different. I started making a
> list of everybody I knew that was vocal about
> being anti gun. So I know they don't own anything
> to protect themselves. If things get bad and it
> hits the fan...they are first on my grocery
> shopping list for supplies I need or anything else
> I may want. smiling smiley

Hahaha!
July 28, 2015 10:17PM
Golden hill grain. com has a nice selection. May have to pick some up.

I picked up a Silver Fire rocket stove. Man that thing is awesome. Small portable stove,
stick a hand ful of twigs in the pot, put on a 9" cast iron pan, after the fire got going, I fried up 5 eggs in about 5 minutes.
Great for when the power goes out , or camping.
Ok, now back to detecting.smiling smiley
July 29, 2015 12:34AM
it all depends on how hungry you are, my daughter did weight watches a few years ago and had to get off of it, she had all this food left over, I took it to work and over 3 years I would eat it when I was hungry, it was ok, but I eat at MickD's twice a day, get what you like, my wife throws out can food after a year, I said are you crazy, I took that to work too, open the can, heat it up with a heat gun, lunch
July 29, 2015 04:24AM
I with Caretaker on expirations. Those things are just lawyer numbers.
But always use good sense before eating something; regardless of the stamped expiration date. Bulged cans especially(could be botulin toxins).
July 29, 2015 04:30AM
Ah hell, what doesnt kill ya, makes you stronger!
July 29, 2015 02:31PM
Except for bears. Bears will kill you!