Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

F75

Posted by Dominic 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
F75
August 11, 2010 02:26AM
Hello Tom,

I just bought a used F75 for 500.00. I came with the 11" and 5" coil. My question is how do I start to learn this machine or more precisely where do I start? It seems very complicated coming from an Ace 250?
Re: F75
August 11, 2010 02:43AM
All you have to do is pretend this forum is a relic sight and hunt for all of the info on the many pages that we have listed info on.

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
Jeb
August 11, 2010 08:37AM
Dominic. Try ..... If your in open country fields. DE mode or PF Mode . Two tones. Sens as high as you can get without erratic warbling. Possibly around 75/80. Discrimination on 5.
You may like to go into all metal and again try your sens as high as you can get it without erratic warbling or numbers rolling. Dig nothing under 20 on the readout,as it will be trash or Iron, and High numbers in the very top 90`s can be Big Iron. When checking Target, go around the Target at four points of the compass and read the readout to see if their all about the same value.
You can venture into JE mode when you have a bit more experience under your belt with it. Use the small 5" coil around houses or Trashy ground and temper your Sensitivity to around 65/70.
LISTEN to all target responses and you will get to recognize the "good " eachway sound that gives out on good targets. Bad targets will be a Low breaking wind type signal.
Don`t forget to Ground balance (Fast grab)the Detector before you detect . Its VERY important you remember to do this. Hope this helps a bit.
The F75 is a feisty beast and is not for the feint hearted but when the learning curve is mastered , its a very good detector.Its whether you have the Patience to persevere with it that will tell.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/11/2010 08:44AM by Jeb.
August 11, 2010 01:50PM
Don't forget to set your threshold to a faint but audible sound so you will know when a dig-able sound comes through and, if running with discrimination, an object is nulled out. Read, read, and re-read the manual then get out and use the detector as much as possible because it is the only way to get proficient with it. There are many forums besides this one with alot of helpful tips plus Tom's DVDs are beyond great. I suggest watching them a minimum of 3 times each to really see and hear what your skill level can become with practice. Ask all the questions you want here because these guys love to help. Don't expect too much right away then become discouraged. The time has to be put in to find anything of material value but what you gain in experience, each time you detect, is like gold in itself.
August 11, 2010 03:10PM
If you can get a sens above 70 and a disc of 6 to start you will need to set your tone on 1 mono and dig all hits. Your VDI can help but you have to look and listen to your machine. It can make a lot of noise so you may want to use the 5DD so the coil see less but you have a better chance to learn the machine. The grunts are all good it is that one tone you want to hear...now if you are in a old area the grunts can be guns. axe heads and such so you have to just work the area till you know what the layout is.

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
August 11, 2010 11:58PM
Dominic,

I would start with the stock 11" coil.

ID mode (not all-metal)
Sens = 60 (This will still trump the Ace-250)
Disc = 6
Tones = 4 (because of your Ace-250 experience)

Ground Bal the unit.

If you are encountering 'chatter' ......push the trigger forward and touch the red button. Then release both. Listen to the chatter for a few seconds.....and repeat the process.......until you find a channel (there's only 7) that produces the least chatter.

Select an area that is AWAY from any structure.....at first. Dig a good sampling of all repeatable tones......paying extra attention to the top two tones. Learn the machine and its language. In fairly short order......you will see why!
August 18, 2010 05:27AM
Ok I am slowly understanding this machine. I have actually been scared to dig some targets that were so very deep like 11 and 13 inches. I dug one 11 inch that showed a dime found a wheat at about 4 and the same repeatable signal I was digging was still deeper after I pulled out the wheat. I never did find it as it was on my front lawn and it was getting ugly.

My biggest question is this at this point. I am running it as you say Tom and trying different settings but I am getting lots of chatter still. I tried all seven frequencies. I have watched many videos on youtube and those f75's are so quiet. I have ground balanced, fast grab and manually. But still lots of chatter and the sounds of the beaps are very weak. Is it just that I am used to the Ace 250 which is VERY loud or are my settings off. OR, I bought a used machine and maybe it needs to be set back for a tune up?

Dominic Digging Michigan but mostly my own front yard still.
August 18, 2010 09:40AM
Is the chatter happening when the coil is still? Coil off of the ground by nearly a foot.....parallel to the ground.....and not moving?

Or...........is it happening when the coil is in motion ... on the ground?
August 28, 2010 03:17AM
It is chattering when I am sweeping the coil in motion. It is quiet when its still and when lifted off the ground. I think I need a PHD to learn to use this machine.
August 28, 2010 03:56PM
It really sounds like you are in a target-rich environment...................or..............have heavy mineralization. If you are properly ground balanced......then it sounds like many targets. If you sweep the coil at a 6" above the ground........and only hear half of the 'perceived' targets........then..........you have a target-rich environment.