Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

which Coil for Minelab Explorer II Tom

Posted by panodrac 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
which Coil for Minelab Explorer II Tom
August 11, 2010 09:19AM
If i could only add one coil to my Explorer II for gold coin hunting which one would you suggest Tom.. Thanks again
Re: which Coil for Minelab Explorer II Tom
August 11, 2010 11:48PM
FIRST & FORMOST.......A FACTORY COIL! Secondly, a DD configuration coil. Then..........enter a plethora of variables; subsequently altering resultant coil selection. Bad dirt/mineralization......a smaller DD. High trash areas.....a smaller DD. Clean areas.......with somewhat clean/low-mineral dirt.......a fairly large DD.
August 12, 2010 06:52PM
I have an e-trac which is similar to the explorer II. I mostly hunt coin's in moderatly trashy spots,And my favorite all around coil is the sunray x-8. First of all it's lighter than minelabs 8'' coil and it is a full 8'' as where minlab's is 7.25''. I alway's thought 8'' was the perfect size coil. It's small enough to be good in trash,And big enough for good coverage and depth. The original fisher got it rite using that as their stock coil size.
August 14, 2010 10:50AM
panodrac, I switched to using the SE Pro coil for my Explorer II and found that it had much better target seperation and I was able to increase the sensitivity as compared to the original 10" FBS coil. I can not comment on its ability for finding the gold coins, but while in England my find rate for the small silver hammered coins increased dramatically. My 10" FBS coil is now collecting dust.
August 14, 2010 06:35PM
I appreciate your input very much..thank you
August 14, 2010 06:36PM
i wonder if the X-8 fits on an explorer when you put it on did it also mention explorer II. Do you think it goes deeper... regards Patrick
August 14, 2010 08:37PM
Yes it will also fit the explorer model's. I think all E-trac-Explorer coil's are interchangable.
August 14, 2010 08:47PM
And yes it is a deeper coil. There is a feild test comparing the two on there web site by a guy on anouther forum who really knows's explorer's. I know some may not believe this ,But I hit a barber dime with it at just a hair under 10''. As a matter of fact due to the liteness of the coil and my bad shoulder I use the X-8 about 90% of the time.
August 15, 2010 04:13AM

And yes it is a deeper coil. There is a feild test comparing the two on there web site by a guy on anouther forum who really knows's explorer's.

Bryce? I'm curious...... what brought you to this conclusion? Pics of family? pics of finds? bogus field tests?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/15/2010 04:15AM by Shambler.
August 15, 2010 04:27PM
Yes bryce know's explorer's . He has been using them for quite awhile. But in my area I have compare signal's with a friend who use's a stock minelab 8'' coil and I could hit a few target's that he couldn't. Once again that is in my area. But it is lighter than the minelab 8'' coil. That's a fact jack! Beside's Bryce wouldn't do something like that,He is a straight up guy!
August 15, 2010 06:11PM
Bryce seems like a really nice guy.

I see VERY little difference among the three small coils I've used except footprint, and he doesn't live too far from me. I'd like to see a realistic field test where you compare actual real world targets and expect nothing from the manufacturer in return. I'd pay for that kind of review. I don't know Bryce, but if you have the capability of putting a critical eye on the words and pictures, you just might see some things don't add up. Tom's site is the only place on the web where detecting reality lives.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/15/2010 06:13PM by Shambler.
August 15, 2010 07:04PM
Well you are intitled to your opion. Just like when you said the F-75 wasn't all that deep as far as I.D. at depth,which I happen to agree with. I had one and didn't like the way the numbers wouldn't lock on deep targets like the E-trac-expolrer!
August 16, 2010 09:03PM
thats true shambler at least everyone gets their posts answered
panodrac