Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Racer in saltwater

Posted by FollowTheBeep 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Racer in saltwater
July 03, 2015 04:06AM
I've been using the Racer up and down Topsail Island for the last three days. Overall I have been impressed with its performance. On the dry sand there has been no issues. When the coil goes over the wisps of black sand I can hear a faint whoosh sound and that's it. Moving to the wet sand I just rebalance and it continues to work silently. Going in the water was not an issue until the coil was submerged more than about 4 inches at which time it would overload. I'm not sure if that should be expected with a VLF or not but it kept me out of the water.

I'm having a great time but not finding much, about a dollar in clad, a large fishing weight, and a lower end women's Seiko watch. I have a great respect for the beachcombers as this is definitely a different challenge compared to hunting parks.

I can say that it will repeatedly hit a bottle cap 8"+ deep in damp sand. I finally started switching to 3 tone on any solid 82-83 to listen for the grunt.

I must say that I'm still happy with the Racer.
cdv
Re: Racer in saltwater
July 03, 2015 11:47AM
No need to drop the sensitivity (gain?) when going onto the wet sand? I was wondering how it would do on the wet salt beach, thanks for the post!

Cliff
July 03, 2015 02:53PM
I have only seen one racer on the beaches that I hunt so far and they stayed on the dry sand, so I am no help there. Sorry. I was at Topsail Island ten days ago. South Topsail was a wide sanded in beach that was very flat. A waste of detecting time. North Topsail was a completely different beach. Nice slope, not to wide, and good crushed shell layer to support heavy targets. Hunted one low tide and came out with the usual clad, junk jewelry, three pair of sunglasses, and two rings. One was the heaviest silver ring I ever found with a large pink stone in it. Looks very old. The other was a titanium wedding band. Always hate finding those but they do look good in the scoop.
July 03, 2015 03:22PM
I did not need to lower the gain. I am running it in stock beach mode with gain at 95. I have noticed that I really have to move slowly to get results.

They are rebuilding the beach on the island so between North Topsail and Surf City is buried under a foot of new sand. I will be going back to North beach today. I'm hoping for just one more notable find before we leave.
July 03, 2015 03:25PM
The racer works very well on the wet salt sand beaches I detect in nj. It seems to love dimes. I've dug quite a few at 8" in wet salt sand and they were loud and clear. I was running it in beach mode sens at 90-97 and it was quiet. Also found a small junk jewelry chain junk ring and other clad. Wish you luck

John