Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

hot smiley Omega 8500

Posted by Denari 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: hot smiley Omega 8500
July 18, 2015 09:31PM
manual for omega 8500
[files.firsttx.net]
July 19, 2015 12:48AM
They packed a ton of features in there. I hope it's priced right?

Kenny
[www.youtube.com]
July 20, 2015 02:05PM
khouse Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> They packed a ton of features in there. I hope
> it's priced right?

if it stays at $595 it should/could be a hit...I am curious though and maybe someone can tell me; do the delta, gamma, and omega all start off with the same basic platform, ie are the price increases just
for additional features? I say this cause I tried out a Delta some time back and was not impressed at all...

I really don't think they should increase the price on this one, though they did increase the price on the G2+ $100 over the G2...which they still are selling (due to inventory?)...
July 20, 2015 02:44PM
Denari Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> manual for omega 8500
> [files.firsttx.net]
> /MOMEGA%20%28Omega8500%29%20Manual.pdf

I'm not sure First Texas wanted you to point out their FTP site is also open and available on http (no login) for the world to see. But certainly they will fix that now. smiling smiley
July 20, 2015 02:44PM
Was reading the manual. The stuff starting on Page 23 amd 24 about the Target Indicator Display is a really good run through about "jumpy" ID's. The 8500 gives you a "Primary" ID and "secondary" ID's. This might be really useful since it seem to me at at it is clearer then just "jumpy" ID numbers.

Here's the relevant part.

Multiple Target Category System. This feature is available only in SECONDARY PRIMARY Discrimination Mode. For each target, the Omega 8500 calculates four independent numerical Target-ID’s on each pass of the coil; one primary and three secondary. Each one of the Target-ID’s will correlate to a target category on the LCD. There will be one solid primary category lighting up and up to three additional secondary target categories. All are different readings of the same target, with the primary category being the one with most reliable signal. If the Target-ID’s vary, they will show up as multiple illuminated categories, and this could indicate the detector is picking up noise, a faint/weak signal or that the target is irregularly shaped.

Noise can trigger secondary TIDs without a primary, so it is possible to see secondary TID categories light up on the display, without a primary solid TID category. Secondary Target-IDs don’t produce any audio report and cannot be discriminated out. All the audio reports correspond to the primary TID, and any category that has been discriminated or notched out will not be able to display a primary TID or audio report. You will still have the benefit of all the secondary IDs even if the secondary IDs fall in categories that have been discriminated or notched out. If you see only a primary TID, it means all primary and secondary TIDs agreed on that category. A bottle cap that reads as iron in air will most likely have all TIDs agree that it is in fact iron. A bottle cap that reads as nickel or foil due to oxidation or orientation relative to the coil will most likely have TIDs disagree and several secondary TID categories will show up. All TIDs can agree and still miss-identify a target. Please use your skills as the ultimate discriminator.

Rick Kempf
Gold Canyon AZ- where there is no gold

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/20/2015 03:15PM by lytle78.
July 20, 2015 03:07PM
should be easy to tell difference in trash and coin. especially bottle caps. wonder how these 4 target snapshots affect recovery and/or audio report. hope they figure out a release soon.
July 20, 2015 11:31PM
Some nice features on the 8500:

NOTCH VOLUME – Adjustable Volume Offset by Target Category. Each target category can have its volume adjusted independently. This advanced setting affects the Master Volume setting and functions only in DISCRIMINATION Mode.

I really like the Deep mode. I'd equate the "Fast Filter" the the FA mode on the DST enabled T2 & F75 with the other modes being a permutation of a Boost Mode.

DEEP
This allows 4 settings with varying filters that may increase depth under certain
conditions.
D0
.Fast filter. Best for target separation and searching in heavy trash. It is
the least sensitive of the Deep settings.
D1
.Regular filter. Best for general conditions.
D2
.Deep filter plus 60 Hz notch. This is a slower return setting that will
eliminate some EMI. The noise floor will be increased. This mode is best
used in cleaner soils and Sensitivity must be adjusted for proper use.
D3
.Deep filter plus 50 Hz notch. Same as D2, but with a 50 Hz noise filter.

Multiple Target Category System.

This feature is available only in Discrimination Mode. For each target, the Omega 8500 calculates four
independent numerical Target-ID’s on each pass of the coil; one primary
and three secondary. Each one of the Target-ID’s will correlate to a target
category on the LCD. There will be one solid primary category lighting up
and up to three additional secondary target categories. All are different
readings of the same target, with the primary category being the one with
most reliable signal. If the Target-ID’s vary, they will show up as multiple
illuminated categories, and this could indicate the detector is picking up
noise, a faint/weak signal or that the target is irregularly shaped.

I wish they included the 11" DD vs the 10" concentric coil, the 11" DD was a great on my Omega for sniffing silver out of demo sites and iron trash. I never did get great depth with my old Omega (my F75 LTD blew it out of the water), hopefully the 8500 is more sparky and the "Deep" mode really is deep thumbs down