Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Racer didn't miss the train >grinning smiley<

Posted by Cal_cobra 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Racer didn't miss the train >grinning smiley<
July 04, 2015 06:22PM
Took the Racer and F75 out to a little spot I've worked over the years, I've hunted it with every machine I've owned multiple times over the years (Sovereign, Etrac, F70, F75, Omega, AT Pro, etc), it's a small spot, no larger then about 50'x75' but has yielded dozens of old silver coins, Indian heads, tokens, Victorian era jewelry, etc. I'd work hard to eek out a green wheatie or an Indian head, but I hadn't pulled a silver coin from there in several years.

That dry spell ended on the Racers maiden voyage where it bagged a merc and a silver war nickle and two green wheaties with the stock 11" DD. Mind you before I detected the spot, I went over it with the F75, 11" DD coil, similar settings, and got nothing, yet 5 minutes later the Racer is getting coins.

The next time I went to this spot, I used the 5" OOR coil, set the sensitivity to 98, ID filter/disc at 10, and 3 tones (I find for fringe/iffy coins that 3 tone audio conveys more info then the 2 tone audio on the Racer at least when looking for coins).

On this hunt I dug an unprecedented (for this site) nine old coins:

1911-S wheatback
1916-S wheatback
1917-S wheatback
1919-S wheatback
1907 V nickle
1910 V nickle
1917 buffalo nickle
1921 buffalo nickle
1943-S silver war nickle.

This morning I reached into my bag of tricks, and decided to try running the Racer at zero disc, sensitivity @ 98, and 3 tones. There's not a lot of trash here, a small amount of iron, mineralization lights up about half the Racer pie. I got a set of Pivothead Video glasses a few weeks ago, and I was planning to video the digs live, and do pick a couple of signals to compare the Racer and F75, using the same settings, and same 5" DD coil. Unfortunately most of the video didn't work out as planned. I will say that when I compared signals with the F75, it reported the targets as iron.

It's hot as heck out here, by 7am it was already 85F, and quickly heading to tripple digits.

My first signal was a classic Racer high tone bouncer, blipping between 82-84, with a lot of mid tones and iron grunts thrown in. I dug down, and got a deep 1900 V Nickle! Nice, great way to start off the day. BTW I'm noticing that this thing LOVES nickles, and I'll happily dig nickles all day long.

The next signal was another iffy one, little bit of high tone, lot of mid tone and some iron, but doing the slow wiggle on the coil I could work up a repeatable signal. Dug down and got a deep childs ring. Cool, I like finding stuff like that.

The next target was really, really iffy, dug down and got half of a shell casing. Hit it the hole again with the pinpointer again, and found the butt of the shell casing. OK, well not too exciting, but there was a non-ferrous target there as it reported and it was a good 7" deep.

My next signal, was mostly a mid tone, with some high tones. Dug down and though I had found a wheel weight. I rubbed some more dirt off, and looked at it again, and it turned out to be a 1930's Tootsie Toy California Zephyr Toy train. Very cool, love finding stuff like that.

Dug a few junk targets, a flat piece of rusted iron about the size of a harmonica reed, an old ring tab, and a wad of some kind of foil.

Next I got a high tone bouncer, it was right next to an old plug of mine I could see. Dug down, and at about 8" deep, I saw a flash of silver go by as I'm loosening the dirt. Probed the hole with the pin-pointer and found a small silver disc, with a wreath and "one dime" staring back at me....OK, it's either got to be a seated or a barber....flip it over and .... it's a 1907 Barber dime!!!

My last target was a 1941S wheatback.

While today's hunt wasn't quite as spectacular in the terms of numbers of coins found compared to the last hunt, I finally hit a personal goal. It's been years since I pulled a Barber dime from this site, but I wanted to pull out one more Barber dime from this site. Long gone are the days of digging 2-3 Barbers from here, but if really felt good to get one more smoking smiley

I'll try the spot again tomorrow morning and again see if I can do a Racer vs F75 comparison....hopefully I can pull up a few more signals drinking smiley

Happy 4th of July!!

PS - Stop your bitching that nobodies finding anything with the Racer, they are if they're using it >grinning smiley<
Re: Racer didn't miss the train >grinning smiley<
July 04, 2015 06:43PM
Great hunt. I believe Keith has commented that Racer in mineralized soil will call targets Non Fe, that F75 would ID as Ferrous. I do have one question though. When you checked the targets that were IDing as iron with F75, what tone selection were you using??? I'm asking because I'm thinking some targets using say 2F tones may infact come up as non Fe, whereas using say 3 or 4 tones over some of the same targets they may ring up as Fe.
July 04, 2015 06:44PM
Wow ! Great job Brian. Out standing finds for a supposed target free site with other detectors. Would have been interesting .

El
July 04, 2015 07:12PM
tnsharpshooter Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Great hunt. I believe Keith has commented that
> Racer in mineralized soil will call targets Non
> Fe, that F75 would ID as Ferrous. I do have one
> question though. When you checked the targets
> that were IDing as iron with F75, what tone
> selection were you using??? I'm asking because
> I'm thinking some targets using say 2F tones may
> infact come up as non Fe, whereas using say 3 or 4
> tones over some of the same targets they may ring
> up as Fe.

TSS to be fair in the comparison, I had both machines setup as follows:

disc @ 0
3 tones (3H actually on the F75 as the Racer bumps deeper nickles up into the third tone)
98 sensitivity

I'm going to try another little spot in a bit that I detected last year with the F75, pre LTD2 upgrade, and got a couple of wheaties and a merc. I'll see if I can find a signal to play with and try various F75 settings to see which of the tone or process combos stand out. I'll take another stab at some video with these glasses.....if only they followed your eyes eye popping smiley
July 04, 2015 07:14PM
Elbert Wrote:
> Wow ! Great job Brian. Out standing finds for a
> supposed target free site with other detectors.
> Would have been interesting .
>
> El

Thanks El. Although I know it won't last, It makes me happy to be digging coins from this old "worked out" site thumbs down

Actually I suspect once we get some rain (the ground is bone dry) that it'll light up some new, perhaps deeper, targets at this spot.

HH,
Brian
July 04, 2015 08:57PM
Wow - Nice hunt cal_cobra - Simply amazing how the Racer eeks out those old targets amongst the trash - Also great to see it compared side by side to that almighty F75 - Thanks for sharing
July 04, 2015 09:01PM
Great hunt, love the toy never even seen one before.
July 04, 2015 09:51PM
I mean spot on with what the Turkish machines are capable of and do very well that others cannot do. Excellent post and descriptions you wrote. Congrats great hunt!
July 04, 2015 10:36PM
WTG Brian,

Congrats with your recent finds! And happy 4th to you too!

Paul
July 05, 2015 12:41AM
Hey Brain, sorry I cut my last sentence off early. What I intended to write was it would have been interesting if you and Tom could have compared signals, he with the 705 and your Racer.

El
July 05, 2015 01:13AM
Elbert Wrote:
> Hey Brain, sorry I cut my last sentence off early.
> What I intended to write was it would have been
> interesting if you and Tom could have compared
> signals, he with the 705 and your Racer.
>
> El

Hi El,

Tom wasn't with me, but he thinks his 705 is the cats meow. We did some signal checks when we both got our machines, but we didn't spend a lot of time on it.

We'll probably do some more checks this fall/winter, he's convinced he's found the ultimate relic machine.

HH,
Brian
July 05, 2015 01:26AM
Outstanding hunt Brian...I really like the train & the Barber. And thanks for the detailed write up.
July 05, 2015 01:32AM
Nice digs congrat's..

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
July 05, 2015 05:32AM
Way to pull in the keepers Brian. Thx for the info.
July 06, 2015 12:34AM
Great hunt and thanks for the details. That train is really cool.
July 06, 2015 05:31PM
tnsharpshooter Wrote:
> Great hunt. I believe Keith has commented that
> Racer in mineralized soil will call targets Non
> Fe, that F75 would ID as Ferrous. I do have one
> question though. When you checked the targets
> that were IDing as iron with F75, what tone
> selection were you using??? I'm asking because
> I'm thinking some targets using say 2F tones may
> infact come up as non Fe, whereas using say 3 or 4
> tones over some of the same targets they may ring
> up as Fe.

TSS on Saturday I did additional testing at an old abandoned house that I hunted once before (it was very stingy, got one merc, a couple of wheaties, and some clad). I tested the machines on various targets in the wild, leaving the Racer on 3-tones, 98 sens, and 0 disc (ID filter). The F75 started in 3H tones, 0 disc and 98 sens, both units running the 5" coil. When I'd get a target on one machine, I'd compare notes on the other machine, switching machines to be the lead machine to find the next target. After the first dozen target comparisons, I switched the F75 to 2F tones testing in both BP and DE modes. Unless the target was shallow (less then a few inches) I always found the Racer had better audio and TID. At this site, both machines correctly found and ID'd all targets dug, but the F75 was frequently jumpy on TID (and at times audio) whereas the Racer locked on on audio and TID. Nothing was extremely deep, except for one oddball nail that BOTH machines ID'd as a dime signal (thought for sure it was going to be a silver dime), and it turned out to be an 8" deep nail (like a 1.5" long horse shoe nail).

To be honest, I feel that the F75 has more raw power, but the Racer has more finesse. At this point I feel that if I'm going for ultimate depth, I'm going to grab my F75. If I'm noodling around in trash and iron, I'm going to go with the Racer and 5" coil. In iron and trash sites, when you can work up a repeatable high tone on the Racer it's typically a good target, many times one that other machines can't even see. I need to get my hands on the 5x10 coil for fall/winter relic hunting.

HH,
Brian
July 06, 2015 05:41PM
Thanks for the info Brian.
July 06, 2015 05:49PM
Yep! Horse shoe nails have fooled every detector I've ever used. I think they have a lot of copper in them.
July 09, 2015 02:50AM
Cal,
Is your F75 you used in this post the DST upgraded????
July 09, 2015 08:08AM
tnsharpshooter Wrote:
> Cal,
> Is your F75 you used in this post the DST
> upgraded????

Yep, it's the F75 LTD2 with DST. I run it on 9.0 mode.
July 09, 2015 02:45PM
Very good honest review Brian, thanks!