Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Took the coil covers off my Nokta coils...

Posted by Detectorist 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Took the coil covers off my Nokta coils...
July 06, 2015 06:12PM
I only have maybe 8 hours on the machine. Both covers had lots of dirt and moisture in them. I'll keep them off. I haven't worn out a coil since the early 80s.
Re: Took the coil covers off my Nokta coils...
July 06, 2015 06:19PM
I picked up a CZ20 that I'm certain had not had the coil cover removed since new. It literally broke apart piece by piece. A lot of sand trapped in there as well. With the exception of a Deus, I don't use coil covers. Those Deus coils are pretty pricey, so I'll keep them protected.
July 06, 2015 08:11PM
Took off mine today...a nice grey colored epoxy...
No dirt in the 'OOR' coil but noted the coil cover had fractured an inch on its edge?
Loads sand grit in the larger one... Gone now courtesy of Mr Dyson
July 06, 2015 08:27PM
Detecting 101: Remove coil covers.
I have a couple detectors that are 42 years old and the coils are fine.
July 06, 2015 08:31PM
Des D Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Took off mine today...a nice grey colored
> epoxy...
> No dirt in the 'OOR' coil but noted the coil cover
> had fractured an inch on its edge?
> Loads sand grit in the larger one... Gone now
> courtesy of Mr Dyson

My Fors Core "OOR" coil cover was cracked when I got it.... Pretty thin material.
July 06, 2015 08:31PM
I did the same with my Racer. I hunt the beach and the covers fill up with sand rather rapidly. That adds extra weight and, while I can't prove it, interferes with the proper ground balancing of the machine.
July 06, 2015 11:01PM
Unless you hunt in coral or rock , coil covers are NOT necessary. That's it, tired of reading about it. NEXT!
July 07, 2015 12:11AM
Take a nap then -I like to hear people views on things such as these -

I like the fact that the covers are provided free for those people who DO use them & for those who dont, sell em -

Nothing worse than buying a machine and then spending more money for coil covers, arm straps, weather covers etc etc -

Yep some people will milk you until you look like a raisin - I am so happy these guys have it right
July 07, 2015 09:01AM
Apparently im the only guy who can deatroy a coil cover. I water hunt and was going thru a cover every 4 months..... ya I keep mine ON the sand. Added marine epoxy and seems good now.
July 07, 2015 10:47AM
Took a nap, thanks, I feel better. You guys that need covers must be hell with your toys....no finesse in the swing.... I can hear you now, swinging in a rocky area, clickety - clack - clickety - smack>>>>echoing>>>>> through the canyon. lol........................ Stay cool, only busting on ya's.
July 07, 2015 07:00PM
I feel its more that im gettin that 3 inches of depth others dont witg their golf swing. I keep my coil ON the bottom or they tend to float with a littke current. Works well picking up those small targets.
July 09, 2015 12:39PM
Pendulum swingers may not need a coil cover, but scrubbers do and it's nice to have a choice...