Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Who on here has found a gold coin? Also results of my US $1.00 gold coin tests

Posted by Detectorist 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Who on here has found a gold coin? Also results of my US $1.00 gold coin tests
July 08, 2015 01:30AM
It seems finding these little buggers are like finding hen's teeth. I visited a very reputable local coin dealer and obtained a type1 $1.00 1852 gold coin for testing purposes. For those who don't know, this is the smallest coin the U.S. has ever minted. It's about ½" in diameter.

The Nokta Core is sort of a pain to test because it tries to up convert the TID numbers. So the Nokta with 5" coil would give a solid 2 way signal at 4" but the TID would increase the further away the coil is.

Nokta Fors Core with 5" coil air test and on the ground same results:

DI3 mode.

U.S. $1.00 Type 1 gold coin TID 54-60 Max depth about 6"
U.S. Nickel TID 55-61

EuroTek Pro w/8" concentric coil:

U.S. $1.00 Type 1 gold coin TID 55 Same depth as Nokta
U.S. U.S. Nickel TID 56.

On both detectors the gold coin came in just under a U.S. Nickel. So if you want to find these coins you must dig Nickel sounds and TID numbers.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/08/2015 01:35AM by Detectorist.
Re: Who on here has found a gold coin? Also results of my US $1.00 gold coin tests
July 08, 2015 01:39AM
Well on my list lol, but we had a club member find a 20 dollar, think called a double eagle may be wrong on name. If your digging nickels your in the right zone. hh
Re: Who on here has found a gold coin? Also results of my US $1.00 gold coin tests
July 08, 2015 01:50AM
Most detectors will ID a U.S. $1.00 gold coin in the "mid-foil" range. . . . . especially the Type-II and Type-III $1.00 gold coins.

You can also see/witness the lower freq units having a very hard time detecting a $1.00 gold coin.

These coins were lost at a very high (alarming) rate......obviously...... due to their very small size.
1985 I found two $5 dollar coins 1880-1882 1988 found 1836 $2/12 dollar coin . I carry a 2-Peso gold in my wallet to test when I am in a old camp. it reads about 52 on my AT Pro. It"s about the same size as a US $1 and not a great loss if I lose it

KS Stick.
July 08, 2015 02:13AM
NASA-Tom Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Most detectors will ID a U.S. $1.00 gold coin in
> the "mid-foil" range. . . . . especially the
> Type-II and Type-III $1.00 gold coins.
>
> You can also see/witness the lower freq units
> having a very hard time detecting a $1.00 gold
> coin.
>
> These coins were lost at a very high (alarming)
> rate......obviously...... due to their very small
> size.

I was surprised how high the coin read. I'm going to find me one. Too few have been found, too many were lost.
Detectorist,
Tell me, how clean and short is the tone on the CoRe unit in DI3 sweeping the $1 gold coin????
July 08, 2015 03:17AM
It's solid at about 4"- 5" Then it starts sounding middle tone-high tone at the end and the numbers start climbing to 62 over about 4"-6". Nothing over 7".
July 08, 2015 03:41AM
For those hoping to find a gold coin, here's a reminder of something Tom posted on a thread some time back.

Back in the day, the military used to be paid "in specie"...enlisted men in silver, officers in gold
Detectorist Wrote:
> It's solid at about 4"- 5" Then it starts sounding
> middle tone-high tone at the end and the numbers
> start climbing to 62 over about 4"-6". Nothing
> over 7".

I think you misunderstood my question. Try this. Use 5" coil, sweep the gold coin, then a bottle cap, and then a dime. You should hear the tone longer (slightly) on the bottle cap vs dime. Now when you sweep the gold coin does the tone length appear short like the dime---discount the fact the tone produced on gold coin is a mid tone. The faster ramp up and ramp down on dime you hear. Does the gold coin have the same or similar ramp up and then down. Bottle cap should sound flatter not as fast with tone ramp up, and slower to fall as well.

Check at a distance of 4 or 5 inches.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/08/2015 03:49AM by tnsharpshooter.
July 08, 2015 04:14AM
I've been on four hunts where they were found, one $20 gold coin would've been mine if my hunting partner wouldn't have been following me and got ahead of me when I was digging a target....sigh eye rolling smiley

One of my hunting buddies has found 14 gold coins in his detecting career. Two of those were found at old sites we co-researched, one was an 1829 British Sovereign, the other was an 1849D US $5 gold piece.

They're out there, but first you have to detect where they were used. Eventually I'll get my coil over one.
July 08, 2015 04:25AM
Yeah, got one double eagle. Believe it wont be my last. Dangit, just jinxed myself!
July 08, 2015 04:49AM
I have been lucky to dig one $ 5.00 coin and one type 11 gold coin with the old ST detector and in recent years I have dug 4 more type 11's $1 dollars in worked out camps with my F 75 second edition camo model. I'm now trying to find one with the new DST-- F 75 but right now it is just too hot to be in the woods putting up with sweat flies and mosquitoes.The fall season will be here .
deathray Wrote:
> Yeah, got one double eagle. Believe it wont be my
> last. Dangit, just jinxed myself!

Come on Ray = you know it won't be your last out there in gold country...

Even I myself here in Mi am working on finding #3 grinning smiley

You gotta bust out that F19 and put it to work = that's the one you're going to find #2 with!
July 08, 2015 11:28AM
Just one here on a 1021 Tom tuned cz3d.....1885 half eagle out in the middle of a harvested corn/soybean field. Six inches deep, rang high tone. Thought it was play money at first but Miss Liberty looked a little too serious for that....and the weight..gold is heavy, I believe a third heavier than lead.
July 08, 2015 02:14PM
Never dug a gold coin but tested a buddies and hits in the foil area as you go up to higher denominations all over the spectrum of the meter. Its all about location and some of the fellows are in areas where the odds are good. Indeed a dig all situation if your in one of those areas..Only several I know dug in our area and usually in coin pouches and such with other coins...
None for me (yet!), but I know of several guys out here who have! smileys with beer
July 08, 2015 09:48PM
tnsharpshooter Wrote:
> Detectorist Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > It's solid at about 4"- 5" Then it starts
> sounding
> > middle tone-high tone at the end and the
> numbers
> > start climbing to 62 over about 4"-6". Nothing
> > over 7".
>
> I think you misunderstood my question. Try this.
> Use 5" coil, sweep the gold coin, then a bottle
> cap, and then a dime. You should hear the tone
> longer (slightly) on the bottle cap vs dime. Now
> when you sweep the gold coin does the tone length
> appear short like the dime---discount the fact the
> tone produced on gold coin is a mid tone. The
> faster ramp up and ramp down on dime you hear.
> Does the gold coin have the same or similar ramp
> up and then down. Bottle cap should sound flatter
> not as fast with tone ramp up, and slower to fall
> as well.
>
> Check at a distance of 4 or 5 inches.

Smooth like a Nickel. It start to fade out at 4-5" with no TID but good sound. Max air test at maybe 6-7". It seems to vary in my Apt. I may be getting EMI. Been raining all day.
Thanks
July 08, 2015 10:38PM
Never found one. A friend pulled an eagle at 1880-1920's poor black house site near my families property with a dmc iib. I've been all over it since, never any coinage other than injuns. Losing that coin had to hurt somebody bad.
July 09, 2015 01:17AM
I sort of, it was in a ring and it was an British Virgin Island 25 dollar gold coin, and it was .50 gold, the ring was 14 k, I think the ring was worth more than the coin, the coin is real small too
July 10, 2015 12:38AM
Iam still trying to find my first gold coin Iam confident that it will happen.
Corey