Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Will anyone tune my 3D Excluding Fisher

Posted by ShovelNose 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Will anyone tune my 3D Excluding Fisher
August 17, 2010 12:27AM
After having to get 3 units and the 3rd ones faceplate rocked up and down when pressing PP btn. I assume Daniel w/Fisher took it apart to verify it would work and he failed to reassemble it properly. Neither Fisher or Kens Detectors from who I bought it from have returned my calls to this day. I was wanting my money back. 9" max on air test. I have tested this unit for 2 months now and have tested in several gardens and it willnt hit a silver dime in grd at 7" and bounces between iron and lrg coin on a 7" silver quarter even with the 10.5 coil. After that nothing not even faint unless its big. I want to keep this unit but I bought it to be my deep coin machine. Is it the components or can it be tuned? I really dont want to send back to Fisher. I will sell it first even if I lose on the deal! Thanks for any help.
Re: Will anyone tune my 3D Excluding Fisher
August 17, 2010 12:56AM
Welcome to the club. I had a CZ-3D I sent back three times and they still didn't get it correctly calabrated. They got it close so I could trade it in ,But not up to specs. I would try tom as a last chance. I would have done that when I had mine but didn't know he calabrated CZs at the time. And people wonder why a brand new in the box CZ-5 on ebay went for 550.00. I guess that guy wasn't so crazy after all!
August 17, 2010 01:15AM
I can align/tune everything............except for depth problems. (Sometimes, I can help with depth.....but not that often).
August 17, 2010 02:30AM
Puzzled! I thought when you tuned a unit it was adjusted to get max from unit. Then If I understand correctly it is the components thats the problem and pots cannt be adjusted to get the max depth? Well I am willing to pay to try and improve it if possible but I know you cant replace the components. It calls a nickel a nickel and a tab is a tab. I believe those adjustments are OK. My Silver Umax can hit 7" with the 8" coil. If you were me what would you do?
August 17, 2010 08:36PM
Do what I did trade it in on a E-trac! Then when the funds become available by a los banos CZ and you will be set!
August 17, 2010 10:27PM
((( Answered your PM )))
August 18, 2010 07:12PM
What should a properly tuned 3D be air testing at? I have an old los banos unit that I bought used. When I have the sensitivity cranked up to max I'm getting about 10&1/2 inches on a clad dime. With the sensitivity at 5 (my usual setting) it's down to about 6&1/2. Does that sound normal? I wish I could turn the sensitivity up more but it starts falsing at 6.
August 18, 2010 08:02PM
I'll save Tom the trouble...

Correctly tuned CZ3D should ID a US dime at 10" - 11". Volume 10, GB10, Sens. 5, Disc 0. Sounds like yours may be operating at less than optimum. Mine isn't quite up to snuff either. EMI and/or Silent EMI can affect performance. I'm looking into that with mine now.
August 18, 2010 08:34PM
Interesting. I suspected that depth was less than optimum. Is there something that can be done about that? Can I send it in to Fisher for a tune up?
August 19, 2010 02:49PM
Why is there still a problem with tuning the CZ3D. Shouldn't Fisher have this problem fixed by now? Is it something that is so complex that they cannot do, does it take too much time? The last time I checked (a couple of years ago) Fisher was claiming that there was NO problem with new CZ3Ds... do they have their head in the sand or is this an old unit? Are the new ones being shipped untuned?

This should not still be a problem after all this time.

Julien
August 19, 2010 10:49PM
QC issue. You have my full concurence.
August 20, 2010 01:45AM
It appears there is a fix if you can replace the components. The docs I have seems they know they are getting marginal product and throwing excuses for a lack of proper planing and QC. Get them out and fix them later. Sounds like Microsofts business model. I still find the 3D is going to do a good job just not to deep as I would like in some places I would like it to. The beach seems to let it do better. So Im going to go dig some caps and nails and like it. If any one finds a fix let us know. I wanted the G2 and was waiting but I dont have any faith in new FTP products right now. I have ordered a Tesoro Tejon. 17kz and all features I want. Next looks like a Whites MXT
August 20, 2010 09:38PM
Ground conditions (especially hot ground) certainly dictates any metal detectors depth performance/capabilities. This is why a air-test is a great 'starting-point' for performance.......having removed nearly all variables.