Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Recommend me a bodycam, pls

Posted by Champ Ferguson 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Recommend me a bodycam, pls
July 18, 2015 12:38AM
The ubiquitous GoPro (or the Ion) my end up being the answer, but there are just so many options on the market for wearable cameras that I am overwhelmed just trying to sort them out. There are some very nice small units designed for police work too.

What I am looking for:
- weather resistant, or even better weather proof
- hi quality video; audio not as important, but needs to be passable
- lots of storage space/video hours
- long Li battery life, or AA capable so I can use what rechargables that I already have. running off a USB is a + too
- small, lightweight
- easily mountable to my shirt, belt, dash, and possibly hat
- of course price is always a consideration, but I am willing to pay for Quality and features

All suggestions appreciated.

(I reserve the right to withdraw this thread if by some miracle I manage to dig a working one up)
Re: Recommend me a bodycam, pls
July 18, 2015 02:18AM
Been looking at this one. [www.ebay.com]

Kenny
[www.youtube.com]
July 18, 2015 02:37AM
khouse Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Been looking at this one.
> [www.ebay.com]
> 119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Better READ the guys feedback on those

he has SEVERAL NEGATIVES stating that they're cheap toys at best and item NOT as discribed

avoid like the plague comes to mind as does = you get what you pay for

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/18/2015 03:02AM by MichiganRelicHunter.
July 18, 2015 02:39AM
thanks khouse - looks good and affordable
July 18, 2015 03:47AM
Most of the feedback are positive. Everything I've read says the GoPro is made in Taiwan. Youtubes got some good comparison reviews between this camera and the Gopro.
I personally would take a chance on a China (SJ4000 $70) knock off of a Taiwan (GoPro $400) product. If the GoPro was made in the USA I would definitely buy the GP. But it's not so all bets are off "for me". FYI: GoPros 1st camera (35mm) cost $3.05 to manufacture in Asia. How much did it retail for? I really don't know but would bet it was a lot?

MichiganRelicHunter Wrote:
> khouse Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Been looking at this one.
> >
> [www.ebay.com]
>
> > 119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
>
>
> Better READ the guys feedback on those
>
> he has SEVERAL NEGATIVES stating that they're
> cheap toys at best and item NOT as discribed
>
> avoid like the plague comes to mind as does = you
> get what you pay for
July 18, 2015 04:32AM
It seems all the GoPro knock offs and the GoPro's have issues. Even the other types of cameras have issues... There are just a ton of action cameras out there. Maybe it comes down to throwing a dart?

Kenny
[www.youtube.com]
July 18, 2015 02:14PM
Here is the real problem I have with all action cameras. BATTERY LIFE!. When I make my detecting videos with my Olympus TG-310 I have to carry 6 batteries with me. These batteries are tiny in comparison to the size of the camera. When you have a camera with a built in battery it can die in the field and your dead in the water. If the manufacturers make a camera that can hold 6 hours of video then they should make a battery to last just as long. So until I can buy a camera with an internal battery that can last several hours I choose cameras with a replaceable battery which I can switch out in the field. This is another reason I mentioned the camera in question. But I'm all ears for other cameras I'm not aware of. I've thought about buying one of those external batteries you plug in your device to extend the life? Anyone have any info on those?

Kenny
[www.youtube.com]
July 19, 2015 12:18AM
I checked the GoPros today at Target. They are not made in Taiwan. They are made in China. They may be made to a higher standard than the knock offs? I don't know? I do know the "Made in China" was in such tiny size text you almost need a microscope to see it. If anyone has any more cameras they recommend them lay them on us... Right now I use an Olympus TG-310 waterproof camera. It's lens is rectangular and I can't readily fit a fish eye lens on it. Plus the batteries are so small they don't last long. Other than that it's a good camera.

Kenny
[www.youtube.com]
July 19, 2015 12:49AM
I'm surprised J Flynn hasn't piped in and told you about his camera. I think it was one of these [store.driftinnovation.com] . I'm sure it's like nothing you've ever experienced before and is just one WOW moment after another even if it's not made in Turkey. smiling smiley
He's probably out catching crappy and blue gill which is where I'd love to be if it wasn't for the humidity.
July 19, 2015 12:59AM
shoveler Wrote:
> I'm surprised J Flynn hasn't piped in and told you
> about his camera. I think it was one of these
> [store.driftinnovation.com] . I'm sure it's
> like nothing you've ever experienced before and is
> just one WOW moment after another even if it's not
> made in Turkey. smiling smiley
> He's probably out catching crappy and blue gill
> which is where I'd love to be if it wasn't for the
> humidity.
It has pretty good battery life. It sure wouldn't stick up as far as a GoPro on your cap.
July 19, 2015 01:11AM
I did I thought lol, I'm getting old I guess. Drift innovations HD Ghost. Small and works beautifully and here's a UTube video. I love this thing, have been making flyfishing videos on the river in full HD and they are just unreal good. Just can't find the time to edit them into a fish catching episode. It'll get a work out when the weather cools some soon. 100-101 and heat index at 108 to 110 have curtailed the landlubber in me.
[youtu.be]
July 19, 2015 09:36PM
Jack Flynn Wrote:
> I did I thought lol, I'm getting old I guess.
> Drift innovations HD Ghost. Small and works
> beautifully and here's a UTube video. I love this
> thing, have been making flyfishing videos on the
> river in full HD and they are just unreal good.
> Just can't find the time to edit them into a fish
> catching episode. It'll get a work out when the
> weather cools some soon. 100-101 and heat index at
> 108 to 110 have curtailed the landlubber in me.
> [youtu.be]

I was in the market for a new camera so I just got the stealth 2 model on Amazon for $135 which doesnt seem too bad. Figure I can mount it on the cap when I go out.
July 19, 2015 09:45PM
Mounting them on your cap is tough. To center the picture you really have to bend you neck a lot downward or have long long arms. Ya don't realize just how much your eyes move to see stuff while the body stays almost the same. The headphone mount works well, the head mount works good, the shoulder mount works superbly.
July 19, 2015 11:56PM
Jack Flynn Wrote:
> Mounting them on your cap is tough. To center the
> picture you really have to bend you neck a lot
> downward or have long long arms. Ya don't realize
> just how much your eyes move to see stuff while
> the body stays almost the same. The headphone
> mount works well, the head mount works good, the
> shoulder mount works superbly.

How do you mount it on the shoulder?
July 20, 2015 02:04AM
I went and bought the SJ400 camera. As MRH has stated - May be crap? After testing and using it - if it's crap I will say so. So I guess stay tuned......
If interested I bought this one. I comes with 3 batteries and a ton of accessories. Plus it ships from the US even though made in China.
[www.ebay.com]

Kenny
[www.youtube.com]
July 20, 2015 02:18AM
Look on the drift website and look at the accessorries. Give Joan a call, she's superb to do business with.
July 20, 2015 04:38PM
I have the gorpro silver 4. Its awesome. The standard battery lasts about 1.5 hours on 720p video. While their are competitors gopro is kinda the main brand so all of the companies making attachments and such are mostly for gopro. They even have a new cam coming out that is even smaller. I got an attachment package on amazon for like $20 that had a chest mount, head mount, and pretty much any mount you could imagine.