Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Pinpointer market has got crowded/competitive fast

Posted by tnsharpshooter 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Pinpointer market has got crowded/competitive fast
July 19, 2015 11:23PM
You don't have to go too far back, Garrett ruled the roost--unmistakably!!

Now look, Makro, Nokta, White's, Minelab, Detector Pro and many others are in the business. Garrett didn't waste no time releasing their carrot. A very fast train moving indeed.

I have the Makro, White's TRX, and the ole Garrett Propointer. Like them all, but each has their strengths/weaknesses----just like my detectors.
Re: Pinpointer market has got crowded/competitive fast
July 19, 2015 11:41PM
Don't forget the MARS MD Pinpointer
http://en.marsmd.com/catalog/mars-md-pinpointer/

DeepTech Vista X with 3 search coils.
Works for me
July 20, 2015 12:01AM
Just tried out the carrot today and love it. Works great with my CTX. Didn't have any problem with EMI,s like I did with other pin pointers. No interference at all.
July 20, 2015 12:14AM
I just ordered a deteknix X-pointer looks similar to the garrett but sens is adjustable and supposed gains more depth we'll see also it was $20.00 cheaper than the Garrett

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/20/2015 12:15AM by AMCJAVELIN.
July 20, 2015 02:08AM
Minelab makes a good pp, but I prefer the carrot by far. And that's from a Minelab fanboy.
July 20, 2015 03:47AM
The Garrett Pro Pointer started the revolution of simple and effective handheld pinpointers that could be used universally with various detectors.

IMO, this has changed the hobby for the better more than anything since the advent of VLF detector.

Many good choices now and prices have come down. Competition is a good thing.
July 20, 2015 03:50AM
marcomo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The Garrett Pro Pointer started the revolution of
> simple and effective handheld pinpointers that
> could be used universally with various detectors.
>
>
> IMO, this has changed the hobby for the better
> more than anything since the advent of VLF
> detector.
>
> Many good choices now and prices have come down.
> Competition is a good thing.

Marcomo,
I couldn't have said it better. Less digging is needed at times too, and easier say on manicured lawns/parks.
July 20, 2015 04:00AM
Tn, you are right. A lot of time saved and cleaner retrievals.
July 20, 2015 04:09AM
And cut fingers as well. I like to handle the least amount of dirt possible. Not much into wearing gloves either. And the coins on edge where one misses the pinpoint==real handy. And those 9 and 10" coins==handy as well; especially when using a Minelab.
July 20, 2015 04:11AM
tnsharpshooter Wrote:
> You don't have to go too far back, Garrett ruled
> the roost--unmistakably!!
>
> Now look, Makro, Nokta, White's, Minelab, Detector
> Pro and many others are in the business. Garrett
> didn't waste no time releasing their carrot. A
> very fast train moving indeed.
>
> I have the Makro, White's TRX, and the ole Garrett
> Propointer. Like them all, but each has their
> strengths/weaknesses----just like my detectors.

i got the pro-pointer! hardly use it, carry it every day,but am sooo used to pin pointing with the coil and digging,
that i am set in my ways.will admit that the pin pointer IS helpful when ya drop down,and can't get AT the coin right away,
but i am talking 'seconds" or maybe a minute or two "tops" to finding the coin with conventional pin pointing with the coil!..guess i just wanted one.
and still have it on my hip!
July 20, 2015 04:39AM
I have the original Propointer and the Carrot, and the new Nokta waterproof pointer. All three are great but I favor the response and the way the Garretts tone builds over others I have had, Xpointer, Profind, Trx, Vibrprobe, etc.
July 20, 2015 02:44PM
Indeed if I left my Garret pro at home would be lost...Hats off to Garret as they really started something good and many companies followed....
July 20, 2015 09:02PM
Certainly Garrett gave us enthusiests that magic stick to make life easier for us and in doing so stamped their authority on the pin pointing market - It wasnt long before some of the creative folks started making very light modifications to make these GPP's waterproof - For many years Garrett enjoyed this position of leading the world with this product yet IMO Garrett dropped the ball in not developing their GPP earlier to combat what has recently happened. Left the door open so to speak & in rolled a cheaper Chinese product which performs better, has more adjustments and comes with those added extra's you usually have to pay more for - More importantly it did NOT do what the GPP has now become renowned for = falsing

Then Makro's Pointer hit the market and it was delivered in a professional package most people would find to be absolutely amazing - It was about now Garrett announced their new Garrett AT will soon to be released in the following months - So what happened during those many years the GPP was leading the rest of the world - Did Garrett actually take a nap?

Honestly guys - How hard was it for them to progress from their original GPP design to making it waterproof? I feel that this design should have been ready to go as soon as a competitor (deteknix/Makro) came along - Now it appears to me the company that led the way appears to be following the competition and its clear to see why - resting on one's laurels perhaps

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/20/2015 09:06PM by rustic charm.
July 20, 2015 10:53PM
AMCJAVELIN Wrote:
> I just ordered a deteknix X-pointer looks similar
> to the garrett but sens is adjustable and supposed
> gains more depth we'll see also it was $20.00
> cheaper than the Garrett

I have been using one for a few months, now, & am pleased. My Garrett was out of warranty when it quit.
July 21, 2015 06:59PM
When I decided to get another hand held electronic pinpointer I did my review and picked the Whites TRX, which works fine for me. Only now I hardly ever use it. Once I discovered the FX-1 Sunray inline probe worked with all my F-series Fisher and Tek units I just swap it back and forth between them as I perfer the inline over the handheld. My Whites model has an old style Sunray inline on it, too.

About the only time I bring out the TRX is when I'm using something that one of my Sunrays won't work with.

I'll probably never buy another handheld regardless of how many new ones hit the market.

HH
Mike
July 24, 2015 10:58PM
Never had a garrett but I've used one a couple of times. I thought it was to loud with the beeping and i didn't like the on/off switch. I prefer one that is only active while you're holding down the button then disengages when you let go, otherwise that thing is sounding off while it's laying on the ground if you forget to turn it off (irritating) or get it to close with your digger.

Maybe the carrot fixed some of the issues that I had with their first release. Waterproof being a positive step.

I have a detectorpro pistolprobe that I got about 6 or 7 years ago and the detectorpro uniprobe headphones for almost as long and had a few sunray probes for different detectors and still have one now. I believe they all came out before the propointer. I think they all way out-perform the pro pointer too (not trying to start a brand war, just stating my opinion). I was never really impressed with the depth of the propointer. It was better than the fisher or whites bullseye probes but not enough to make me want to buy one. I know Garrett sold alot of them but they also sold alot of ace 250's, to put that into perspective.

I have always wanted to try one of the vibraprobes though for the water. They look nice.

HH
John
July 25, 2015 12:45AM
Picked up the carrot earlier this week. After 4 hunts I'm really pleased. Don't know how much more powerful it is than the original, but seems more sensitive to small objects. No falsing at all even under force and I like that the silent is actually silent. Always felt it was stupid for the trx to make a loud "bee bop" as you turn it on and off in silent mode. The garret just turns on ready to go.
March 25, 2016 10:17AM
tip dia.? it can move in mud or sand?
March 25, 2016 06:52PM
My first one still works great,a tinytec delux but my carrot is the only one I use now.

------------"Cz's still bad to the bone".------------
Living on a big ass Astroid.
The woman that got my rib,I want it back.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/27/2016 04:34AM by supertraq.