Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Omega and depth...

Posted by jbow 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Omega and depth...
August 29, 2010 03:05PM
I have a friend who has a 3 ring minnie buried at 10" in his back yard. It has been there for 21 years. He always uses it to check new machines and I went by there a few weeks back to try a few of my mahines. I didn't carry them all but off what I had with me the V3 and the E-TRAC were to only two machines what stopped me in my tracks and told me to investigate. The F75 LTD would signal it with a poor TID if I stopped, since I knew it was there but if I hadn't known it was there the F would never have stopped me. I am going back to check it with my T2, that is the day it died on me... it is at FT now.

What bothered me the most was that he said that his Omega would hit it really good (he didn't have it at home that day so we couldn't compare). so I started to think something might be off with mine but he called me last week to tell me what the problem was.

He took his back out there, got a good GB and could hit it really good using the 10' coil BUT if he changed sensitivity he would lose it until he tweaked the GB. He said that the GB changed when he changed the Sensitivity and unless the GB was just right the bullet would disappear.... so i'm thinking that maybe we need to be checking the GB often when using the Omega and resetting it everytime we change the sensitivity.

Has anyone else noticed anything like this? I'm glad he has this known target that has been in the ground for so long... otherwise I wouldn't know to check this.

Julien
Re: Omega and depth...
August 29, 2010 03:43PM
Yes, GB is very important............and you may have witnessed a hair-splitting/perfect scenario target that would prove/demonstrate/teach this principle. This is one of the blessings of the Explorers/E-trac's.........as they don't have much of a human-interface GB control. I do believe the F75 should have acquired this target..........and wonder what GB settings would do such. The GB setting might NOT be what you expect! You may want to try the correct fast-grab Grnd Bal..............then...............utilizing that as your base reference.............THEN..........adjusting the GB AWAY from this point! Yes, this will alter your results...........................and.......................depending upon the TYPE of ground mineralization.....you may learn that a different setting OTHER THAN "fast-grab correct".......may work better!
August 29, 2010 04:00PM
The buried minnie is a good place to try all F75 tone, GB and sen. combos to see if
any one will hit the target.
August 30, 2010 07:06PM
Julien what settings did you try with your LTD and Omega?

I've noticed that if I try to GB the Omega in disc mode with the ground grab, that typically the sensitivity can't be higher then 60-70 or the machine gives an overload signal. If you do the GB by the book in AM mode, adjusting it up until you get a threshold hum, the sensitivity is typically around 70+/-.

So if it's impossible to GB it with the sensitivity at 99, we may be loosing some serious depth eh?
September 04, 2010 01:24AM
I don't remember my settings but my T2 shipped today after getting serviced. I will go back with the LTD, the T2, and the Omega and pay attention to the settings and see what it takes to make it all come together on all three machines. Probably next week. I'm sure that the F75 LTD will hit it better, not that it didn't hit it... it just wasn't hard enough to have me stop in "real world" hunting when swing up to the target even knowing it is there... but I suspect with the GB set right that will change now that I know what to try.

Thanks for the input all...

Julien