Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

TV show Diggers

Posted by Lawrenzo 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
TV show Diggers
August 02, 2015 04:12AM
What a dissapointing show. They sure make it look easy and they hunt areas that I dream about. Wow they may as crack open the beer on the show, is that what our hobby looks like to those that don't hunt?

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
Re: TV show Diggers
August 02, 2015 11:29AM
I don't think these shows are doing our hobby any good!thumbs up
August 02, 2015 12:37PM
I enjoy the show. I've warmed to it a bit from when it first came on. And I think maybe the show has changed a bit, too, with maybe a little more emphasis on the historical context, which I think is a good thing.
I enjoy their energy and enthusiasm and understand the production values that are added for the sake of entertaining those who watch but are not detectorists, themselves.
I actually think the show demystifies our hobby to the unwashed masses and buys those of us who detect some recognition of what we are doing and why we are doing it. It's no longer "some strange man/woman carrying some odd looking device and prowling around, probably up to no good."
But then, I am not defensive or secretive about my detecting, and this is just my personal opinion.

Wayne

Pleasant Garden, NC
AT Max, Nokta Impact, MX Sport, Nokta FORS Relic, GPX 4800, Infinium, Racer, Deus, F75SE, Nautilus DMC II (order of acquisition, last to first)

Does an archeologist argue with a plow? A bureaucrat with a bulldozer?
August 02, 2015 01:09PM
...That show "Diggers" is a farce and a fake, I can not believe Garrett supports the show. That is one reason I refuse to buy anything made by Garrett, I tell all my friends and anybody that will listen to boycott both the show and Garrett products. I lost two detecting spots thanks to Ringy dingy and King duffus, those clowns could not find treasure if it was in open sight. Rant Over.
August 02, 2015 01:12PM
I too, have grown to like them. Unlike some of the other shows, past and present,...not everything they find is "treasure" and worth hundreds of dollars. They actually dig trash and mangled stuff, and common items.Their stuff has the right patinas on things they dig...vs that one with the "boom baby" guy where everything was in undug condition.

Some have said they blame these guys for not getting permission for sites. I personally have experienced the opposite. If anything, it has sparked an interest in people to see what is in the ground around their own houses and farms. I have sold several metal detectors to people I work with that bring up this show as a reference to sparking their interest in the hobby. And ALL of them invite me to come along to hunt with them. So in my own experience, it has opened a bunch of doors for me.
August 02, 2015 01:20PM
I three, have grown to like it , for same reasons.
August 02, 2015 02:02PM
I think anything that puts us people who hunt ''Public Property'' on the radar is Bad News with a capital B. To many Newbee's to many bad diggin' techniques with shovels. I also think it will hurt people who hunt others property as they see this and think why should I let this guy hunt my Property when I can buy a Detector and do it myself. JMHO.
August 02, 2015 02:05PM
Hey Guys..

...If you want to see how real relic hunters do it, look up "thiltzy1" on youtube. I'd rather follow those types of videos than anything I've seen on Diggers.

Todd Hiltz and Dave Wise are the real deal. They show how to find productive hunting spots in New England and they find some amazing treasures. Live digs too!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/02/2015 02:18PM by Hombre.
August 02, 2015 02:19PM
At one time, ALL of us were newbies that didn't know how to dig correctly or do things the way we have learned to do them now. That's just part of any hobby that is new to a person. Some of you seem to have forgotten that. The guys I work with that saw the show and wanted to try their hand at it...all of them came to me first. They had a bunch of questions, and listened to me about everything and if anything, that is a big plus: they seeking the knowledge and advice from more experienced people.

We saw in the average age thread that the average detectorist here on the forum is in their mid 50s. And quite a few here are in their 60s and 70s. Not exactly spring chickens anymore and the odds are that you have more years behind you than what you have in front. Now is the time you could be a mentor to a newbie in the hobby instead of bashing them. I know that goes against what grumpy old men are supposed to do but remember...knowledge is power and knowledge can be passed on if you choose to do so.
August 02, 2015 02:28PM
Newbee or not I always had enough brains not to use a shovel in a park that is just plain stupid. And if some one told Me not to and had to explain why it was bad I wouldn't do it again. Just go on You Tube and make a comment about them using a shovel in a park type area and you get a smart ass answer to mind your own Business. That is the kind of attitude most have or at least in my area as we lost a lot spots due to this type of behavior.
August 02, 2015 02:45PM
I watch it also and like it. If the truth be told i am sure there are more people on here that watch it and enjoy it, but won't admit it.
August 02, 2015 02:53PM
Hombre Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ...That show "Diggers" is a farce and a fake, I
> can not believe Garrett supports the show. That is
> one reason I refuse to buy anything made by
> Garrett, I tell all my friends and anybody that
> will listen to boycott both the show and Garrett
> products. I lost two detecting spots thanks to
> Ringy dingy and King duffus, those clowns could
> not find treasure if it was in open sight. Rant
> Over.

Absolutely. Its all TV fiction, scripted, and acted (badly). The closest they get to the truth/reality is when they value a broken piece of something at $60 when its actually worth $0.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/02/2015 02:54PM by Champ Ferguson.
August 02, 2015 03:26PM
Seems we have a very mixed group. What if this was a hunting show on animals I would be freaked out. I guess those that dig all day and bring back a couple of relics would wish we had it that easy. I think it's staged not my cup of tee in fact it doesn't make me want to hunt. To each his or her own

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

August 02, 2015 03:34PM
Love hunting shows Lowrenzo! You mean you live in the foothills, and dont hunt? Is that even legal?? Kidding ya!
August 02, 2015 04:36PM
Yeah DeathRay if the hunting shows were like the diggers show that would end it for me. That is why I make my own videos and I have digs that go back to last year that I have to edit...its the damm nice weather and the call to go out and hunt and finishing my book that stops me from my videos. And next is FOOTBALL and then my fall hunts that I have been waiting for...I need to get sick or break a leg to slow me down..smileys with beer And then Spring when the weather is nice and the snakes are still sleeping...I got to get a new life

LowBoy

[www.youtube.com]

August 02, 2015 05:12PM
Lawrenzo Wrote:
> Yeah DeathRay if the hunting shows were like the
> diggers show that would end it for me. That is why
> I make my own videos and I have digs that go back
> to last year that I have to edit...its the damm
> nice weather and the call to go out and hunt and
> finishing my book that stops me from my videos.
> And next is FOOTBALL and then my fall hunts that I
> have been waiting for...I need to get sick or
> break a leg to slow me down..smileys with beer And then Spring
> when the weather is nice and the snakes are still
> sleeping...I got to get a new life

I wish I had an editing crew for my vids. I could make my videos pretty fancy but choose the limited editing to get the vids out quickly. I try to delete scenes in the field so I don't have a lot to go through when editing. I've often wondered if viewers like a lot of live digs without the fancy stuff or one or two digs with the fancy stuff?

Kenny
[www.youtube.com]
August 02, 2015 05:29PM
Khouse you vids are fine..I edit mine but I have been doing this for ten years. Its fun to edit after a number of months I tend to forget the hunt and how I was feeling and the video brings it all back.

LowBoy

[www.youtube.com]

August 02, 2015 06:37PM
Ranks right up there with Impractical Jokers.
August 02, 2015 08:46PM
The show is why I hate the ATPro. I wish it would go away
August 02, 2015 09:36PM
I'm afraid I would injure myself nowdays if I ran around like those guys do. I consider myself in fairly good shape but that might push it...Lol!!
August 02, 2015 10:10PM
I like how they incorporate the history in to the show but their excitement when they find something is so over the top it's embarrassing.
After two episodes my wife won't even watch it because of the the way they act.
I still watch it but it's extremely annoying.
August 02, 2015 11:05PM
First of all, I don't think what they find on Diggers is fake. It doesn't have to be. If they go to a site and find nothing of interest, it just won't show up on the show.

I've always disliked the show and still do. I'll admit I'm biased as I've always hated the genre of so called "reality" TV.

I have nothing against new folks in the hobby. As Daniel said, we were all newbies at some point.

And it's great that Daniel's co-workers have watched the show and come to him to be mentored.

But a lot of people watch the show, start detecting, and don't get advice from anyone. They're influenced by the whole act like clowns, anything goes attitude of the two guys on the show. When the treasure doesn't jump out of the ground, the hobby is over for them. Too often leaving a trail of damaged grounds and other bad techniques in their wake.

A TV show that makes great finds in 22 minutes every time also distorts the hobby for those who don't detect. That's not the show's fault, it's just the nature of the beast.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/03/2015 04:04AM by marcomo.
August 03, 2015 11:53AM
KHouse I really liked the instructional video you did on the F19 I have watched it several times!
August 03, 2015 12:48PM
Hunting and Fishing shows are a million or more dollar a yr business. I am way more active in hunting and fishing than I am metal detecting...and I know and have met a lot of the TV hosts for the hunting and fishing shows. Some of them I like...most I do not. They are all so choked full of sponsor endorsements, that most every segment on the shows is "brought to you by...." and basically just big infomercials trying to sell products. What they figured out years ago in the wild game hunting industry...was that they could farm animals. Yes...farm them. As in...grow them like a farm, and then selectively harvest from the herd. It took big acres of land and micro management for this to happen. Not all of the TV guys own the land...so here is what happens: they get offers to go hunt on these selective pieces of land that nobody else can really hunt...and they don't have to hunt for anything. The guide has already done all the work for the "hunter" and they just go sit in a treestand or shooting house, and wait for the deer or whatever of choice to show up. So what you see on the shows....are people that don't actually hunt anymore. They just go to the place, and put it on film of them shooting the critter. It would be like me going out to my goats and shooting one of those at feeding time. The deer at most of those places are glorified pets. They even have names. I was at an outfitters place one time as a client. I had to pay my way for everything...and one of the big guru hunting celebs came into the camp that week with their camera people and such. The outfitter had closed off a big piece of the land for the TV people to hunt in, in which the deer had not been pressured or huntedany at all...and made the people like me that had paid, hunt land far from them where the deer were spooked. So what happens on TV is that the viewer sees so and so Pro hunter, hunting at X and X Outfitters...and shoots a giant buck and the buck they shot is just one of many that they saw during the hunt and got on camera. It attracted people like me to come to X and X Outfitters, to pay to hunt. Fishing shows are a bit different. A lot of them used to be on private lakes with zero to little fishing pressure but the recent movement has been to go do it on public waters that everybody else fishes. A move for the better...but they still fish during the week when little other fisherman are on the water.

Just like in metal detecting...the better shows and videos are by the REAL people that scout the land, hunt public land, and still get the job done. Their deer don't have names like the ones on TV do. lol
August 03, 2015 12:52PM
Reminds me of a 3 dollar bill, don't want anything to do with it or it sponsors.
August 03, 2015 03:56PM
I am not a fan of the antics but I do watch some of the shows. If nothing else I get to see some history being uncovered that may have been lost. What I do wonder about is how much lead work is done to make sure there are going to be enough hits to make the expense of the film crew worthwhile. Along the same line I wonder if some locations have additional hunters during the hunts (off camera) so it looks like two guys found it all by themselves and they just jump in for the final dig. What I really hope for in the big picture is where historic sites may eventually be open to the notion of detectorists volunteering to help archaeologists rather than leave stuff undiscovered. I think hunting protected historic sites would be great even if I don't get to keep anything. I just remembered what drives me crazy. The sound track never matches what is going on with the machines. That could be a good lesson for iffy signals and searching techniques but instead everything sounds about perfect and looks easy.
August 03, 2015 05:57PM
My favorite dealer mentioned to me that the show this year did not have what is called the ATPro effect on sales as it has in the past. Actually mentioned that it hasn't had any affect like it has in the past. Don't care for the show and antics however there is a new show coming late this yearspinning smiley sticking its tongue out
August 03, 2015 06:11PM
Im sure yall are aware, the producers tell them what to do, how to act.I actually had someone from one of the other shows email me, pretty upset with my comment"they are sell outs". Actually made me feel bad, cause the guy is pretty cool...so I will try not to be too oponionated on it...not worth burning bridges.
August 03, 2015 06:16PM
Personally, we need fewer, not more, treasure hunters.
August 03, 2015 07:34PM
88junior Wrote:
> KHouse I really liked the instructional video you
> did on the F19 I have watched it several times!
I appreciate that!

Kenny
[www.youtube.com]