Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Fisher CZ-3D 1021

Posted by fisher cz-3d 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Fisher CZ-3D 1021
September 03, 2010 09:15PM
My latest addition is a CZ-3D number 1021, AIR TEST- I set the ground to 10, disc to 0, sens to 4.8, mode is enhanced, vol @ 10 and read a dime 7 inches maybe 8 inches???
Should I need to get a better reading? "deeper" I have heard of some getting 11-12 inches with these setting ...... this is all with a 8 inch coil. SO THEN, I turned up sens to 7 and got a dime at 10 inches... Also on my 1121 CZ-3D it was very chatter even if I thought about a sens setting of 5???? and with the 1121, I pulled a copper coin the size of a quarter out from a hole deeper than my lesch.... Hmmmmmm : )

ground to 10
disc to 0
sens to 4.8
mode is enhanced
vol @ 10
7-8 inch dept on dime..... sad smiley

Thank You
Re: Fisher CZ-3D 1021
September 03, 2010 09:18PM
also on the1021 turning up the sens there is no chatter, and the 1121 was??? curious??
September 03, 2010 10:20PM
I have a 1021 that I bought used and I'm getting pretty much the same numbers: about 7" at 5 sensitivity on a clad dime. I asked the people at Fisher about it and they said that was normal.
September 04, 2010 12:27AM
If I turn the sens up to 7-8, I get a dime at 10-11 no problem... I thought all CZ-3Ds were consistent? cuz my 1121 would really chatter.....past 5. I do love my CZ-3D though.............. -Chris-
September 04, 2010 12:53AM
Same thing with mine. Great depth when you get up to 7 sens or higher, but unfortunately all the falsing starts at just past 5.
September 04, 2010 12:26PM
Hmmmmm, I wonder if these units were ever repaired/recalibrated. The original 1021's and most of the early 1121's were quite 'batch-consistent'. And, as long as you can exceed 10" on a dime (even if your unit requires Sens to be above 4.8)......this should be fine.
September 04, 2010 09:45PM
The 1021 CZ-3D I had would get about 11.25" on a clad dime, at sensitivity ~5, using the 8" coil. 7-8" is not good.
September 05, 2010 03:43AM
True.
September 05, 2010 10:10AM
I just got my 1021 on Friday. I noticed immediately that it air tested deeper and with a stronger signal than my newer CZ3d. It was deeper by about two inches. I never feel very good putting down numbers but it was about 12 inches with the sensitivity set to 5. I always told people my newer one air tested about 9.5 to 10 on the clad dime. I couldn't wait to get it out into the field. What I found out after that first hunt is that there is a lot of difference in my new one and the 1021. You can sure tell them are related, but they are different too. The 1021 does false more. I never thought about the sensitivity or it being a problem. I was running at about 5.5. I heard a lot more iron grunt on the same ground with the 1021. It picked up two coins that I had previously missed with my other detectors. One was a 1961 memorial that was at an honest 8.5 and standing perfectly on edge. The other was the greenest Indian I have ever found. It was at about seven inches and the newer one didn't think there was a target there until I removed about three inches of dirt. Neither of these coins were tremendously good finds. My hope though is that the 1021 will eventually find that marginal signal that turns out to be something great. I only have this one short hunt to compare, but right now, I don't plan on either of my CZ3s going anywhere except hunting.

Don
HH
September 05, 2010 01:31PM
Don,

This is why (in general) the 1021's are a more consistent, higher performing unit. You will find the 1021 will produce more OLDER finds (largely due to greater depth capabilities). And I do recommend that you try rotating the Grnd Bal a bit....in either direction.... and a lot of the falsing will mitigate. With a higher performance unit......you always run a higher risk of greater falsing. You will mitigate a lot of the falsing, but..... a little bit of a understanding/learning-curve ......and you will find the deeper targets. Depth is critical!!!
September 05, 2010 04:46PM
I put in fresh batteries today and got a weak chirpy signal at 8" at 5 sensitivity on the dime. That's a little better but certainly not the same depth that others seem to be getting. It will get up to 12" if I crank the sensitivity to about 8-10, but then I have all the falsing to contend with. I'm surprised the people at Fisher said that 7" at 5 sens was normal. Are depth problems hard to correct on this machine?
September 06, 2010 01:05AM
It usually entails a recalibrate....and possibly a change of better 'critical match' Quad-driver components. See if your falsing problem can be mitigated by rotating Grnd Bal whilst sweeping coil on dirt.
Re: Fisher CZ-3D 1021 - My results
September 07, 2010 05:44PM
Hi guys,
I got the 1021 out a lot over the weekend. It seemed fitting that the first truly old coins I found were nickels. I about flipped out when I dug a 1884 V at about 6 inches. Three or four steps away I got a super faint signal. This one was hard to retrieve and must have been at about 8 inches.
I was excited enough with this one to quit for the day. I knew it was old and strange, so I rushed home to find out what it was. I am trying to clean it now but it is either a 1866 or 1867 5 cent piece with rays. I knew I had never seen one before. My coin envelope is gradually moving backwards.
I was pretty comfortable recovering coins in my area back into the 1880's. Lately, I have hit two that really surprised me. My first was a 1865 two cent piece. This early nickel has me looking at nickels in an entirely different way.

Don
HH
September 07, 2010 07:01PM
Ok, finally got a chance to get down to the park and try out Tom's suggestion of adjusting the ground balance over dirt to see if it affects the falsing problem. I didn't see much of a difference. It does seem a little bit better when the unit is properly ground balanced but I could turn the dial in either direction and the falsing is still pretty consistent. One thing I did notice however, is that when the GB is closer to ten I get more high tone falsing, when it's closer to one I get more low tone falsing. Another thing I noticed is that the detector is only falsing when it is in motion. If I'm not moving, it stays silent. If I'm moving the detector (whether over ground or in air) it starts falsing. I tried wiggling the cable near the coil and also at where it connects to the unit but that had no effect on it. Maybe something loose inside the unit itself?
Re: Fisher CZ-3D 1021 - Mrwilburino
September 07, 2010 08:23PM
Wow, this is like hearing my detector. I do have some of the falsing that you describe on the high end. Actually, I have a lot and it is slightly irritating. You go back over the place and you know that it isn't anything to worry about about but you had to take the time to check. I never thought about the iron grunts being a type of falsing. I just thought the old 1021 was hearing more iron than my newer CZ 3. You have given me something to think about. I had already thought about changing the coils to clear it from the cause. Mine is the same way, not falsing when not moving. This is going to be an interesting journey. Thanks, for your input.

Don
HH
Re: Fisher CZ-3D 1021 - Mrwilburino
September 07, 2010 09:06PM
Does this happen when the coil is being swept on wet grass???.....or any time that the coil is in motion....regardless of 'contact' with anything on the ground?
September 07, 2010 09:26PM
Anytime that the coil is in motion. I could point it at the sky and wave it lightly back and forth and still get false signals. I noticed today that it was falsing as I was carrying it, the coil wasn't really moving but the whole detector was slightly in motion.
September 08, 2010 02:08AM
Do you have a different coil you can try?
September 08, 2010 02:33AM
Just bought one today on ebay. Hopefully will have it by the end of the week or early next week.
September 09, 2010 06:11PM
Running my CZ-3D with sens at 7 gets me a dime at 10-11inch run the sens at 5 and it gets about 7inch for a dime, Wouldn't this mean if I had a machine like yours with sens set at 5 and reading a dime 11 1/2 then if you run yours at 7 you would get even deeper readings???? I'm a little confused?
September 09, 2010 06:17PM
so you can turn the ground knob while in motion? I use the fast method to ground balance the machine....So if I keep my sensitivity the same say 7. I can move the ground knob? to eliminate falsing?? Still lots to learn........... smiling smiley
September 09, 2010 06:20PM
now why does your detect a dime at 12 inches sens 5? I have to set my 1021 to 7 sens. to get maybe 11 inches? I'm a little frustrated....
September 09, 2010 07:42PM
Don't get too hung up on the sensitivity/depth relationship. Some CZ's have experienced tuning shift (rare) and/or have been calibrated slightly differently from one unit to another. Sensitivity of CZ3D...correct me if I'm wrong Tom....is at approx. 98% when set at 4.8 to 5.0. That's for a 'properly tuned' CZ. The fact that your unit may be set up with sensitivity at 98% when at 7.0 is really a moot point. How deep do you expect to dig a dime? I've got a really wierd CZ3D...ID windows slightly out of whack but it's been a good thing in my case..I think...but there's another post addressing this issue (Canadian Perspective).

To begin with...I'd suggest GBng (fast or accurate method...not alot of difference between the two IMHO) Fast method is easy and quick. Raise coil to waist level with Volume=10, Sensitivity=10, GB=10, All Metal Mode. Depress PP button and hold in while you lower the coil to rest flat on the ground (make sure there's no metal before you start). Begin turning GB dial counterclockwise until the background threshhold hum/buzz just barely dissappears and you're good to go. Now...turn that volume down to 5, set Disc=0, Sensitivity at between 3 & 5 max....get out there and put in some hours (50 - 100hrs). Dig all the mid & high tones and learn your machine. Once you're used to it you can begin setting sensitivity higher...keeping in mind that with sensitivity increases also comes the risk of target masking as the search area of the coil is increased.

As for being frustrated...c'mon up to Canada and try figuring out ANY detector to dig post 2000 clad and you'll learn the true meaning of the word.

Happy Hunting
September 09, 2010 09:45PM
MOST analog CZ's will ascertain max depth at a setting in the 4.4 - 5.0 range. THIS IS IN ID MODE ONLY!!!! (Autotune/all-metal is different; requiring a setting of '10'). IF your unit requires 7 or 8....... but can still acquire a dime at 11" - 12"......that's perfectly fine.

Rotating your Grnd Bal knob whilst sweeping coil.......is NOT ground balancing the unit; rather, it is a way to "find the least noise/chatter". Has NOTHING to do with balancing to the dirt. This method works on quite a few CZ's.....and in quite a few types of dirt.
September 10, 2010 03:09AM
My 1021.... All metal mode, ground 10 (even at ground 5 still get 11-11-1/2), volume 8-9, sens. just at or above 7, dime at 11-11-1/2 I am very happy! Thanks for all the info! now lets go find some coinage.......... before the snow flies!!!!!!!!!!! -Maine-
September 10, 2010 02:42PM
Sounds good/proper. Keep us posted.
September 10, 2010 05:43PM
Just put a new 5" coil on - MUCH less falsing now. Looks like I'll probably have to replace the 8" coil.
September 10, 2010 06:29PM
Does the 8inch coil have a coil cover on it? maybe it needs to be cleaned...... I have heard of this in other forums???
September 10, 2010 06:38PM
Any deeper than 6" right now I'll need a pick, maybe dynamite! Got a 43 Merc at 6" yesterday and it was a fight the grd is so dry.