Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Makro Racer at Va. Beach, VA (a video)

Posted by ncwayne 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Makro Racer at Va. Beach, VA (a video)
August 07, 2015 01:04PM
just an fyi

[www.youtube.com]

Pleasant Garden, NC
AT Max, Nokta Impact, MX Sport, Nokta FORS Relic, GPX 4800, Infinium, Racer, Deus, F75SE, Nautilus DMC II (order of acquisition, last to first)

Does an archeologist argue with a plow? A bureaucrat with a bulldozer?
Re: Makro Racer at Va. Beach, VA (a video)
August 07, 2015 01:52PM
So, basically, the Makro is more sensitive to shallow smaller gold than the Minelab?

How does the auto GB work on the beach?
August 07, 2015 02:09PM
The stability for a single frequency detector is very impressive. The AT Pro can not compete with that. The Minelabs are never good at hitting chains. I guess it is the trade off for their stability. So I see two things that need addressed. Makro needs to make a waterproof All Terrain model. While the Racer sure is impressive with it's stability in wet sand I believe the Sovereign is deeper. But it is nice to see what can be done with a single frequency machine that does indeed cost way less than some of the better known beach machines.
August 07, 2015 03:10PM
I believe Tom's testing showed the Racer qualified as a micro jewelry detector, but that's quite impressive in the salt water and gold bracelets and chains are tough to find for most non-gold machines. My F75 will get them in 2-tone mode, but I doubt it would do that well with the salt water beach. Thanks for posting the video.

hh,
Brian
August 07, 2015 04:32PM
Wayne....... Good video.
August 07, 2015 06:02PM
The Racer has shocked me for how well it does at wet salt sand hunting and it's quiet until you get a target. I still love my Excals and Ctx but the Racer can hold its own that's for sure and the price is great. I wish makro would make a waterproof machine, I'd have to have one.

John
August 07, 2015 06:53PM
Sand dog Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The Racer has shocked me for how well it does at
> wet salt sand hunting and it's quiet until you get
> a target. I still love my Excals and Ctx but the
> Racer can hold its own that's for sure and the
> price is great. I wish makro would make a
> waterproof machine, I'd have to have one.
>
> John

Now if Makro made a waterproof Racer that would be very interesting. I would actually buy one. It would be nice to own a quality water detector.
August 07, 2015 07:04PM
Good video..!!!!

And Yes I think people are starting to see just how good a machine the Racer/CoRe actually is...

The Company is bringing a high performance machine to the people that is easy to operate and shall I see when you run it it seems like in some way's your cheating....

alot of units I have to learn nuances and traits and quirky things to get the most out fo them...the Racer/CoRe is simple and yet very very effective...

I say with the small coil on either unit in trash at the moment its untouchable against any other small coil/detector combo you can find..

And as you and and others are seeing its also deadly in mineral..

thats the magic.....its bleeds and it blends and it does it intelligently with no complicated settings or advanced skillset...

Im highly impressed with the offerings the comany is bringing to the table....

Im looking for great things to come form Nokta/Makro..

!!GREAT THINGS!!

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
August 07, 2015 08:01PM
Now, I'm not trying to be a PITA,... but

I've had some time with a CTX on the beach.
The "Expert" wielding the CTX doesn't have headphones on,... he is able to talk to our Detector Comparitor??
No way are you even registering half the info the CTX gives without headphones.

When he tries to scan the chain,.. at the end of the swing you can see the scoop coming into view.
I actually either drag my scoop behind me on a lanyard or swing it over my shoulder to get it out of the way of the coil.
When hunting in pinpoint and retuning the CTX is a very sensitive beast.

Our CTX "Expert" is running in Beach mode. Salt water setting is set to ON as standard. When the CTX came out, people claimed it falsed too much
with salt water lapping over the coil.
Minelab added a Salt Water mode to keep it from falsing. Turning it into an overpriced Sovereign or Excal :-)
Turning it into a beach coin hunter :-)

I've dug way too many stainless steel fishhooks and targets that fall through the 6mm holes in my scoop to remember.
The CTX gets low conductive targets at the beach,... it actually finds my gold chain I wear when I first take any many to the beach.
So either Minelab doesn't know how to make a detector OR they are chosing some pretty easy going coin hunters for Experts :-)

Now about the Racer,... after I had my rant.

Some very very promissing performance!!

HH
Johnb
August 07, 2015 10:39PM
The CTX is just like any other FBS or BBS machine on the beach. It loses the ability to hit small gold deep. Notice how deep that chain was? Yes the CTX might hit it with a tweak or two, but that chain was shallow and a little deeper it is bye-bye. So unless it is a recent drop mother nature claims the chain. Best bet is to find a chain with something attached.
August 08, 2015 04:15AM
That's why you go recon the beach with a FBS, BBS, FBS/2 detector and when you start hitting older coins.

You hit MARK on the GPS. And go get a more powerfull detector like an SDC, ATX, TDI, GPX, etc. etc. and just start cleaning up.

The Minelab "Expert" in the video located a deeper signal and they dug it out with a single scoop!
I want beaches like that.
Not the sanded in ones I got wright now where the shell sand is located 2 or 3 scoops down.

I'm not saying BBS or FBS will hit chains way deeper than physics alow them too.
But let's be honest, our expert in view is using it bare-foot.
After 3 hours of digging signals and smearing open the spoils with your left foot, I wouldn't have any skin left on my toes.

These guys took the time to film and edit a video and it has as much flaws stitched into the seems as an episode of Diggers.

As for tweaks and tuning a detector,... don't get me started.
Maybe Minelab should sell the next generation CTX6060 and just put a single button on it.
ON/OFF switch.

Anyone remember DigsALot and his very informative posts about FBS machines and beach gold.
That is quality info and shows the true potential of an FBS detector on the beach.

Rant over,... going back to my easy going self now.

HH
Johnb
August 08, 2015 06:24AM
Nice video. I don't really care what a ctx3030 can do or not, or if the operator was using it correctly. The Makro was impressive. If only it was submersible...
August 08, 2015 10:30AM
You sure the CTX was powered on lol? In any case, the Racer appears to be a nice "sleeper" machine.
August 08, 2015 03:59PM
beastdig Wrote:
> Nice video. I don't really care what a ctx3030
> can do or not, or if the operator was using it
> correctly. The Makro was impressive. If only it
> was submersible...

Yep, that was the main point of the test. I was surprised by the Makro. Then again, folks use it for nugget hunting.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/10/2015 02:28PM by Detectorist.
August 08, 2015 08:41PM
Until Makro makes a waterproof detector ... it's going to be the CTX in the salt/saltwater. Well aware of the CTX Achilles heel on weak conductors, proven many times over.

So, let's go Makro ... get busy and make a waterproof submersible detector.
August 08, 2015 08:47PM
Johnnyanglo Wrote:
> Until Makro makes a waterproof detector ... it's
> going to be the CTX in the salt/saltwater. Well
> aware of the CTX Achilles heel on weak conductors,
> proven many times over.
>
> So, let's go Makro ... get busy and make a
> waterproof submersible detector.

I think that most detectorists would hesitate buying a CTX due to its cost. Then again, I have other methods of finding gold jewlery in shallow water besides using a metal detector.
August 08, 2015 10:36PM
Cost? Metal detecting is a fairly cheap hobby when compared to other hobbies.

Fishing -- have you priced a bass boat? Just an aluminum boat will run you upwards of $20k today. The big bass boats are $60k and above. Fishing rods now are $90 for the cheaper ones; the better ones are $300-400 each...and most fisherman have at least 6. Reels are pricier than that, and every rod has to have one. Then there are the lures...$6 a pack for soft plastics these days, and those hardbait crankbaits are $15-25 a piece. Electronics in the boats...side imaging and down imaging with GPS are the way to go now days. Expect to pay $2,000 for a mid grade unit with those capabilities.

Golf -- Good Lord don't get me started on that.

4 wheeling -- A friend of mine at work just dropped $23,000 on a Rayzr ATV that he has got to ride maybe 4 times since getting it.

Archery -- I had $1,500 for just my bow, and I got it used. New, the same bow is close to $2,000 and that's without any thing on it. A fully decked out tournament ready bow with mid range gear = $3,500 easy. Arrows without a sponsor = $200 a dozen for mid grade.

So needless to say...dropping $2,000 for a detector that is at the peak of the high end of detectors currently on the market...is not so bad compared to other hobbies. The other only additional accessories you really need are a good digging tool and pair of headphones. This is the cheapest hobby I think I have ever gotten into, and that is including owning multiple flag ship detectors on a regular basis.
August 08, 2015 11:30PM
EPL II Wrote:
> You sure the CTX was powered on lol? In any case,
> the Racer appears to be a nice "sleeper" machine.

well if thats what it can do when its sleeping....wait until it gets up for work lol
August 09, 2015 05:16AM
Good video Wayne of the Racer on a saltwater beach.
August 09, 2015 05:47AM
One does not need top of the line fishing equipment to enjoy the hobby.Just like there isn't a need to spend $2500 on a detector in order to enjoy the hobby. I have spent thousands of hours in the water with lessor detectors and have been successful, long before the current water hunting craze became fashionable.

Personally, I would be happy with a CZ-21 or an Excalibur for water hunting these days, if I were to water hunt.

Daniel Tn Wrote:
> Cost? Metal detecting is a fairly cheap hobby
> when compared to other hobbies.
>
> Fishing -- have you priced a bass boat? Just an
> aluminum boat will run you upwards of $20k today.
> The big bass boats are $60k and above. Fishing
> rods now are $90 for the cheaper ones; the better
> ones are $300-400 each...and most fisherman have
> at least 6. Reels are pricier than that, and
> every rod has to have one. Then there are the
> lures...$6 a pack for soft plastics these days,
> and those hardbait crankbaits are $15-25 a piece.
> Electronics in the boats...side imaging and down
> imaging with GPS are the way to go now days.
> Expect to pay $2,000 for a mid grade unit with
> those capabilities.
>
> Golf -- Good Lord don't get me started on that.
>
> 4 wheeling -- A friend of mine at work just
> dropped $23,000 on a Rayzr ATV that he has got to
> ride maybe 4 times since getting it.
>
> Archery -- I had $1,500 for just my bow, and I got
> it used. New, the same bow is close to $2,000 and
> that's without any thing on it. A fully decked
> out tournament ready bow with mid range gear =
> $3,500 easy. Arrows without a sponsor = $200 a
> dozen for mid grade.
>
> So needless to say...dropping $2,000 for a
> detector that is at the peak of the high end of
> detectors currently on the market...is not so bad
> compared to other hobbies. The other only
> additional accessories you really need are a good
> digging tool and pair of headphones. This is the
> cheapest hobby I think I have ever gotten into,
> and that is including owning multiple flag ship
> detectors on a regular basis.
August 10, 2015 11:42AM
Ive found you can find a video of any machine doing something others say it cant. But in reality....... im from Missouri. Even the CTX..... there were some when it first came out having no problem finding the impossible in salt water........ but there was a change needed. I believe there is a video with a detector pro 12 kicking all the top end water detectors butts as well. BUT..... im still using a ML or Fisher for salt water hunting. Soooo how many thinks they can just waterproof this machine and put it in the salt water to find those chains?

Dew
August 10, 2015 03:29PM
I didn't say a flagship detector was needed to have fun detecting. A person can still go dig a cup full of worms and take a cane pole and catch sunfish or little bass and have fun while fishing. But if a person wanted to jump into fishing with all top of the line gear, fishing or golf or anything else would be super expensive to do that with. If a person wanted to get into detecting they could go get a brand new Silver uMax and have fun digging. But if the same person wanted to upgrade to the best top of the line detecting gear available, they can do so for cheaper than any other hobby that I can think of. That's what I was driving at.

I've been seeing the Racer Pro packages selling used for some tempting prices too if a person wanted one.
August 10, 2015 03:40PM
I think what you're getting at is that with metal detecting there is not this endless stream of purchases. You buy a detector, digging tools and that's it. I agree.

Daniel Tn Wrote:
> I didn't say a flagship detector was needed to
> have fun detecting. A person can still go dig a
> cup full of worms and take a cane pole and catch
> sunfish or little bass and have fun while fishing.
> But if a person wanted to jump into fishing with
> all top of the line gear, fishing or golf or
> anything else would be super expensive to do that
> with. If a person wanted to get into detecting
> they could go get a brand new Silver uMax and have
> fun digging. But if the same person wanted to
> upgrade to the best top of the line detecting gear
> available, they can do so for cheaper than any
> other hobby that I can think of. That's what I
> was driving at.
>
> I've been seeing the Racer Pro packages selling
> used for some tempting prices too if a person
> wanted one.
August 10, 2015 03:58PM
The more you buy magazines and read stuff,... the more you come to the conclusion that you need this and that.
Especially if you've had a not so productive day detecting or fishing.

We also buy ourselves some courage to get out there, a new rod, a new tector, a new digger,... it brings a little sparkle.

HH
Johnb
August 11, 2015 04:49AM
I have only seen one Racer on a beaches that I hunt. The man who had it was hunting in a straight line down the beach in the wet sand and digging very few targets. I decided to follow with my Excal and see what he may have missed. He missed a lot of good targets. Not saying it is not a good detector, just that this particular Detectorist did miss a lot of really good targets. He was not interested in talking so I have no idea what his experience level was other than to say that he did not keep the coil level on the ends of his sweeps.
August 11, 2015 11:24AM
search and recovery Wrote:
> I have only seen one Racer on a beaches that I
> hunt. The man who had it was hunting in a straight
> line down the beach in the wet sand and digging
> very few targets. I decided to follow with my
> Excal and see what he may have missed. He missed a
> lot of good targets. Not saying it is not a good
> detector, just that this particular Detectorist
> did miss a lot of really good targets. He was not
> interested in talking so I have no idea what his
> experience level was other than to say that he did
> not keep the coil level on the ends of his sweeps.

Which targets did he miss? Was he gridding the area? Was he advancing his coil a few inches at a time?
August 11, 2015 03:00PM
Oh....... gezzzz. Yes you can get ANY detector to work if you want to piddle with it an inch at a time. But lets get real. I cover a LOT of beach out there in a day and miss a lot of targets im sure....... miss an inch miss a mile. But at the end of the day on wet salt sand or in the water that machine is going to miss a lot more than i will with an Xcal....... even if you want to piddle.

Dew
August 11, 2015 03:29PM
My sentiments exactly.

A beach machine needs a good swath, something very easily done when you mount an excal on a straight shaft behind the elbow.
Even a fully extended CTX doesn't have quite as nice a swing to it.

Then we have people showing us 5" coils on wet sand and relic hunting units piddling along. Ok they may be stable, they may find the missing link in the chain.

But in the end it's all about just stacking the odds in you favour.

dewcon4414 Wrote:
> Oh....... gezzzz. Yes you can get ANY detector to
> work if you want to piddle with it an inch at a
> time. But lets get real. I cover a LOT of
> beach out there in a day and miss a lot of targets
> im sure....... miss an inch miss a mile. But at
> the end of the day on wet salt sand or in the
> water that machine is going to miss a lot more
> than i will with an Xcal....... even if you want
> to piddle.
>
> Dew

HH
Johnb
August 11, 2015 04:38PM
How do you know that? Have you tested a Makro/Core on the beach to come to that conclusion?

dewcon4414 Wrote:
> Oh....... gezzzz. Yes you can get ANY detector to
> work if you want to piddle with it an inch at a
> time. But lets get real. I cover a LOT of
> beach out there in a day and miss a lot of targets
> im sure....... miss an inch miss a mile. But at
> the end of the day on wet salt sand or in the
> water that machine is going to miss a lot more
> than i will with an Xcal....... even if you want
> to piddle.
>
> Dew
August 11, 2015 07:05PM
Again the Makro/ Nokta machines do things in mineral and in unmasking few can do so easily or if at all..

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla