Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Racer question

Posted by Spaceport 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Racer question
August 28, 2015 11:58PM
After reading Keith's recent post on the 5x10, I have decided to take mine with the 5x10 to my iron infested site tomorrow....it has produced a few Colonial relics and other early coins from 1857 up to modern. The site is heavy with tiny square nail bits and full ones and big deep iron too. I feel like the 5x10 may pull me a masked target like in Keith's post. The Racer has done well there and pulled me some flatbuttons that other machines missed, but I know there has to be more hiding ....ground is medium to hot. My qiestion is should I run the gain lower than the default setting of 70? Also how should I ground balance it? In previous hunts I have had to move to another area far away or on the way into my spot because it is so filled with targets I literally have to spend over five minutes sometimes finding a clean piece of ground to balance over....would tracking be useless in a spot like this since it is so trashy and full of targets?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/29/2015 12:03AM by Spaceport.
Re: Racer question
August 29, 2015 02:35AM
Yes you can go down to 40 and below...A deep target will sound soft on two tone that is how I hunt. I have gone down as far as 30 and still get four to five inches...in England I have talked to guys that hunt at 20 and under sometimes

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
August 29, 2015 06:20AM
So having the gain too high could make me miss heavily masked targets? Thank you for the response.
August 29, 2015 01:01PM
No need for tracking, it could actually cause issues in the iron. My experience is you only need to cut the gain back that low in extreme cases on the racer, I've don't alot of testing this summer and found you can really push it. The exception being shallow big iron where the residual footprint around the coil causes issues. Now in nails, I've run D3 in 98/99 and D2 up to 85. Be careful cutting back D3, depth starts dramatically dropping off.
August 29, 2015 05:37PM
Thanks, I figured tracking would be no good in a site like that....and I usually hunt in D2 and have been playing in all metal....my site is medium to hot soil and I can run my gain up to 92 or so in D2 and it stays quiet.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/29/2015 05:38PM by Spaceport.
August 29, 2015 10:19PM
Spaceport Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> After reading Keith's recent post on the 5x10, I
> have decided to take mine with the 5x10 to my iron
> infested site tomorrow....it has produced a few
> Colonial relics and other early coins from 1857 up
> to modern. The site is heavy with tiny square nail
> bits and full ones and big deep iron too. I feel
> like the 5x10 may pull me a masked target like in
> Keith's post. The Racer has done well there and
> pulled me some flatbuttons that other machines
> missed, but I know there has to be more hiding
> ....ground is medium to hot. My qiestion is should
> I run the gain lower than the default setting of
> 70? Also how should I ground balance it? In
> previous hunts I have had to move to another area
> far away or on the way into my spot because it is
> so filled with targets I literally have to spend
> over five minutes sometimes finding a clean piece
> of ground to balance over....would tracking be
> useless in a spot like this since it is so trashy
> and full of targets?

I like to run my gain at 70 mostly...and In iron if I cant find a spot to ground grab i just stay at the factory setting..

And I never use the Auto ground tracking in iron.. actually i just use the auto tracking in troublesome ground that changes every few feet when in all metal mode...

Good luck

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/29/2015 10:31PM by Keith Southern.
August 30, 2015 02:08AM
Thanks Keith, I plan to head out at sunrise tomorrow and give it a go, I am taking all four coils and will change them when I feel another will benefit me...the ground here is all over the place as far as mineralisation, iron, trash etc......very challenging site. I would love to pull some more Colonial relics out which I really believe are hiding as well as relics and coins pre 1900. Basically I think most targets remaining are masked..yet I do truly feel more than a handful of things are left. Thanks again HH.
August 30, 2015 02:28AM
Spaceport Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks Keith, I plan to head out at sunrise
> tomorrow and give it a go, I am taking all four
> coils and will change them when I feel another
> will benefit me...the ground here is all over the
> place as far as mineralisation, iron, trash
> etc......very challenging site. I would love to
> pull some more Colonial relics out which I really
> believe are hiding as well as relics and coins pre
> 1900. Basically I think most targets remaining are
> masked..yet I do truly feel more than a handful of
> things are left. Thanks again HH.

Sounds Good...

Dont hesitate to put that 'OOR5' on it in the thick iron...especially if its a beat to death site...And for some reason 3 tone has become my favorite mode in thick dense machine gun iron.. even over two tone...(DID I JUST SAY THAT???)..

Racer+'OOR5'+3-tone = Turkey and Gravy set up... LOL!!!!

Good luck

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla