Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Slowly my old Nickel count is increasing.

Posted by kickback 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Slowly my old Nickel count is increasing.
September 11, 2010 01:51AM
After reading Tom's post on how the ratio of old dimes and old nickels found should be equal, I have been more focused on deep nickel signals.Unfortunately a couple of the deeper nickel signals turned out to be gold rings which messed up the ratio a little.I did find a 1936-D Buffalo Nickel today.It looks like it was lost just after it was minted.It is in the best condition of any Buffalo I've ever found.

If your going to walk on thin ice you might as well dance!!!
Re: Slowly my old Nickel count is increasing.
September 11, 2010 01:34PM
Nice going Bill. ..... Nickels are one of the hardest targets for a metal detector to properly ID.
September 11, 2010 02:32PM
I find this topic very interesting, I was at an old park the other day and was trying differnt settings with my LTD, I settled on sens. 80,disc. 6,notch. 50,tone 3,proc. de. I notched nickles back in. I found 5 nickles that day,thats more than i have found with my F4 in 3 months??

F4
F75LTD
I can dig it!!!!
September 12, 2010 02:59AM
I'd love to hear more success stories about folks finding more Buffalo, 'V' and......especially 'Shield' nickels. V's and Shields are SO very hard to find............yet are in the ground in abundance! And the most valuable nickels.....in general.......are the early Buffalo's. They are quite a bit easier to find....as compared to V's and ...especially Shields.
September 12, 2010 01:42PM
Why is that Tom??

F4
F75LTD
I can dig it!!!!
September 12, 2010 03:59PM
Nickels are fairly low conductors.........making them hard to ID. They can ID lower AND higher; whereas, a silver dime will still ID as silver...even with 'up-averaging' on ID.