Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

I WISH SOMEONE WOULD MAKE A BIG CONCENTRIC FOR THE EXPLORER

Posted by IDXMonster 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
I WISH SOMEONE WOULD MAKE A BIG CONCENTRIC FOR THE EXPLORER
September 07, 2015 01:58AM
That's it. Just wishin' again....and to add to Keith's observation that the IDX is somewhat handy at unmasking high conductors in iron...my personal belief is that it's because of the CONCENTRIC coils used on the IDX. I fully believe with an 11" concentric on the Explorer/Etrac you could get a quarter at 14-15" in premium inland ground. Whether I'm full of FBS or not may never be known.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/07/2015 02:06AM by IDXMonster.
Re: I WISH SOMEONE WOULD MAKE A BIG CONCENTRIC FOR THE EXPLORER
September 07, 2015 02:05AM
IDXMonster Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> That's it. Just wishin' again....

You probably would not be impressed...

The whole Design of the Explorer is built around the DD..

I tried a Concentric once on a Sovereign....ONCE..LOL

A concentric introduced alot of ground noise in the machine..

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
September 07, 2015 02:09AM
Ahhhh yes,the old "caveat".....it would have to WORK WELL!! Sorry Keith,I was editing....smiling smiley
September 07, 2015 09:55AM
I tried a concentric on a Sov Elite and liked it a lot despite it not being a sophisticated coil...
A first attempt from Excellerator but it did find [ low conductors ] that we favour in Europe
Am not sure if Minelab ever dabbled with Explorer concentrics?
I tested a lot of 'experimental' coils for the Explorer / E Trac but these had more & fewer windings
and were epoxy & non-epoxy filled.
Detecting characteristics and 'side effects' were noticeable enough in the main.
September 07, 2015 12:28PM
I've seen different artistic renditions of coil fields and what they are supposedly shaped like,some say concentrics are an inverted cone,others say it's straight down like a tube,DDs are supposedly a blunted blade shape....then there are different drawings of how the currents circulate....then there was a discussion on how it's impossible to render such drawings reliably because it's really not known exactly how the current circulation is really shaped....
For me,it would be very interesting to know why a DD would work well on one machine but not another. For instance,the IDX has a 4x6 DD available but many people say it's a poor performer. Conversely,the concentric 6.5" coil is known by all Classic users to be THE coil to have in difficult conditions. Well,why would this be? DDs are supposed to have the advantage of great separation and comparable depth,but this idea holds no merit when comparing these two coils. From all I've seen,the performance isn't even close.
Obviously the FBS machines thrive on DD coils,they have to,since basically no concentrics are built for them. I've seen the 6" Coiltek which some say works well,some not so well but past that-not much. There has to be a reason,and it's not multi freq,Whites uses many concentrics on there multi freq machines.
In addition,I've seen the advertisements for the Detech SEF coils which state that the butterfly design incorporates both a DD and concentric signal at the same time,offering the best of both worlds in one coil....HUHHH??? Exactly how is this again? Can someone post a link to an artistic rendition of THAT field,because I sure as hell cant picture it in my head.
My curiosity alone is enough to want to know WHY concentrics don't work nearly as well on the FBS stuff. What are the limiting factors?
September 07, 2015 02:20PM
I also tried the 8'' concentric on the Etrac and was not impressed.JMHO.
September 07, 2015 02:27PM
It appears DD coils work best on Explorers but imagine somewhere along the line concentrics were tried and didn't work out and may be the reason..