Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Deus users...what do you think of the "horseshoe?"

Posted by ncwayne 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Deus users...what do you think of the "horseshoe?"
September 15, 2015 08:15PM
I've had my Deus for just over a year, now. It's not necessarily my favorite detector, or my "go to" detector. I'd really hate to be pinned down to answer either of those questions. I use each of my detectors to sort of keep the other detectors honest, and myself, too. I think it perks up the detecting senses, i.e., mind, eyes, ears, to run a variety of detectors. They speak different languages and feel and behave differently enough to keep the brain and other senses kind of juiced up and not dulled by constancy of audio, visual, and physical stimuli.

But this is about the Deus "horseshoe" display that is supposed to roll all kinds of target information into one visual clue for the operator. I have to ask, "is this the best that XP Detectors could come up with?" Even with the inherent inaccuracy of a depth meter or readout, I miss it when using the Deus. Will the "horseshoe" survive the next software version upgrade? Should it? What should take its place?

What say you, other Deus users?

Wayne

Pleasant Garden, NC
AT Max, Nokta Impact, MX Sport, Nokta FORS Relic, GPX 4800, Infinium, Racer, Deus, F75SE, Nautilus DMC II (order of acquisition, last to first)

Does an archeologist argue with a plow? A bureaucrat with a bulldozer?
Re: Deus users...what do you think of the "horseshoe?"
September 15, 2015 08:44PM
I never paid attention to it. Maybe in the first hours of use.

ncwayne Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What should take its place?

They should remove this horseshoe together with target ID. The remote control should only be used for setup changes.
September 15, 2015 11:47PM
Just my opinion but the horseshoe is not very accurate on targets that have any depth. A more accurate TID display would make the horseshoe obselete.
September 16, 2015 12:22AM
I really dont pay it no attention..

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
September 16, 2015 12:33AM
I have had three different Deus units at one time or another. Do what our friends in England do. Set up your Deus and put the remote in your pocket. It's all about the tones. The horseshoe is a bad depth meter. It gets fooled by large iron and round iron. The tones will tell you so much more than the display.
September 16, 2015 09:58AM
what goodmore said
September 16, 2015 02:31PM
I use the horseshoe for information..

Still use both the XP GMP and Deus, both have pros and cons and with the Deus the horseshoe is a positive feature. Helps the Deus avoid some iron the XP GMP will indenfly as non ferrous when running the GMP hot.

I'm surprised to hear you guys don't see the advantage to the horseshoe, that's what separates the Deus from the GMP.

Paul

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/16/2015 02:57PM by Old California.
September 16, 2015 03:32PM
I can tell more about the target from the sound it's like VDI you can look at that all day or just dig it

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
September 16, 2015 07:06PM
I think the horseshoe sucks! Don't use it.
September 16, 2015 10:03PM
One more vote for the 'shoe. I take all VID info with a grain of salt so to speak, but its a nice tie breaker on iron decisions or a hint to possible depth. Its a lot more useful than FM on the car radio!

Past(or)Tom
Using a Legend, a Deus 2, an Equinox 800, a Tarsacci MDT 8000, & a few others...
with my beloved, fading Corgi, Sadie
September 17, 2015 01:10AM
As Andy"s book states

if you're using #s on screen to ID targets

then

to ID iron = set the Deus so that you can switch from 18 KHz to 4 KHz via the push of a button and IF the numbers drop when a questionable target comes into play (ie. from say like 94 to 84 or 88 to like 79) then the object is NOT iron

but

IF the #s stay the same or go up in scale = say 89 to 95 or the like then you're dealing with a piece of iron

it's the best/most accurate way I've ever found to ID iron with the Deus and one of the BEST features of the machine
September 17, 2015 02:27AM
I like some iron best to dig it>grinning smiley<

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!