Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Propointer, Propointer II, Propointer AT

Posted by Rod-PA 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Propointer, Propointer II, Propointer AT
September 18, 2015 06:14PM
I have an original Garrett propointer that is driving me up a wall right now, as it will randomly start beeping, usually almost as soon as turning it on. If it is silent, it is sure to start sounding off as soon as ANY pressure is applied by touching any dirt, no matter how softly. I have heard repairs cost a lot for them.

I went out to the supplier I would normally order from and saw not only the Pro Pointer AT, but now a Pro Pointer II, which in the description says "Increased durability ans sensitivity".

Anyone use the Pro Pointer II? I know the AT is only 17.00 more, but i don't need waterproof, so 17 saved is....you know.

sooooooo....advice on repairing mine, or which to select new?
Re: Propointer, Propointer II, Propointer AT
September 18, 2015 07:16PM
For just $17 more to have a waterproof/dustproof pinpointer with extra adjustable features will actually be money saved.
I don't understand Garrett's logic of having a Propointer II for hardly any price difference? They should build just one and make it the best....

Kenny
[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/18/2015 07:19PM by khouse.
September 18, 2015 07:52PM
The original Pro Pointer was junk in my opinion. I went through three of them with false beeps, and random beeps. They were with out a doubt just plain crap. If you look at the statistics of people that have had problems with their Pro Pointer there would be a class action law suit there. Especially for the postage. Put it this way, if we were talking about cars the word recall would sure come to mind. I hear the new one is much better. I actually have had people on the forums accuse me of mistreating my Pro Pointers. They said I was sticking it to hard into dirt piles and plugs. Well let just say for the record that I was. And I have been doing the same thing with my TRX and guess what? It just keeps going and going. I never could understand if Garrett didn't want us to shove the Pro Pointer into dirt piles why did it come with a scraper blade? But then people get locked into that company loyalty thing and the company can do no wrong in their eyes. Some where out there there is a huge hole with many many broken Pro Pointers in it.
September 19, 2015 01:19AM
Sent mine in for repair but I could not find my receipt I was told it was under warranty then got a call it was not the cost was $52. They sent me a new one and it lasted a week sent it back and they fixed it so far it's ok. Next time it's AT Carrot.
Out the shipping but just can't hunt without one.
September 19, 2015 01:46AM
Get a Whites TRX & don't look back!----They have held up very well for us.
September 19, 2015 02:59AM
My Pro Pointer is almost four years old and gets near daily use and have never had a spec of trouble with it. HH jim tn
September 19, 2015 03:08AM
second pro pointer first craped out this second one is still working

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
September 19, 2015 04:58AM
I've had two propointers for a long time and they've worked fine.

Just got a carrot top, and to be honest, I think I like the original one better....but I need to read the manual on the new one and play with the settings....I really don't need pinpointer settings...on/off and I'm good to go!
September 19, 2015 10:09AM
I've had a propointer for years now. I did have problems and they replaced it with a new one right after it left warranty, so I can' say anything bad.
September 19, 2015 02:20PM
Garretts original pro pinpointer is a mystery as some last for years and others have little longevity.....if under warranty send it in and they replace. Out of warranty its usually around 50 bucks service charge...After replacing two the third one seems to be holding up....I do hope the newer editions turn out better.Would think twice before I bought a used one or for that matter a new one considering my previous experiences....
September 19, 2015 05:00PM
There is nothing more annoying than a falsing pinpointer (OK, maybe a falsing detector). Mine worked fine at the beginning, but at some point it started beeping randomly. I reassembled it a few times, used rice etc. It worked for a few hours, but sooner or later it always started falsing. I came across a solution (from "OLDGOLD1100" on YT) but went further and removed part of the wire.

I made a video about it last year if someone is interested: [www.youtube.com] (I posted it on findmall, but it got deleted smiling smiley

I had no problems since then (but I made a small change and replaced the tape (with proper electrical tape). I believe, the thin red wire was the main problem when it comes to falsing. They are not well isolated. The position of the wire is not always the same. Maybe that's the reason, why some people are having problems while others don't. It would be interesting to see, if they resolved this issue in the new "carrot" version.

P.S. My PP stopped making sounds since few days (it vibrates only, occasionally I can hear the sound), but that's another story...
September 19, 2015 11:19PM
Just get a TRX. I know when mine starts acting funny it just means I need new batteries. I can't say the same for Garrett. My PP didn't last 1 year.

Discrimination is the root of all evil.
September 20, 2015 01:19AM
I still have my Garrett PP from years ago...broken switch (my fault) but it still works, luck of the draw I guess.

I used a TRX this week to locate steel rods in the ground....duct taped it on a stick to lower it into a narrow trench and it worked great. Very sensitive much further out than the Garrett.
September 20, 2015 01:57PM
Occasional falsing issues with original Pro Pointer. Nearly constant falsing issues with TRX.
So far, no falsing issues with carrot.
None have been used to dig, pound, prod or pry. I do use the carrot with power off to lightly tamp very loose dirt back into holes.

Wayne

Pleasant Garden, NC
AT Max, Nokta Impact, MX Sport, Nokta FORS Relic, GPX 4800, Infinium, Racer, Deus, F75SE, Nautilus DMC II (order of acquisition, last to first)

Does an archeologist argue with a plow? A bureaucrat with a bulldozer?
September 20, 2015 02:33PM
The way I understand it is that the original ProPointer is being counterfeited and the ProPointer II is to help put a stop to that. It replaces the original ProPointer and existing inventory will be sold out, and is done. The ProPointer II has a sturdier frame to combat the falsing when you pushed hard on the dirt. It's supposed to have more depth and has even a beeper that goes off if it's on and is left still too long.Maybe help you find it if you accidently lose track of it. It sounds for an hour and then just shuts off on its own. Also has an attachment point for a lanyard. The price was left the same as the old. Just some info...John
September 21, 2015 03:29AM
John, that makes sense that the original will be discontinued when supplies are gone.

A sturdier frame to make those small wires near the tip less likely to get distorted and false would be an improvement for sure.

The original Pro-Pointer had issues. Besides the falsing, the speaker was prone to going bad and the on/off switch could be an issue although a little CRC QD Electronic Cleaner spray would fix it whenever I had a switch go squirrely. Fortunately, if you have a problem within 2 years you can get it replaced or fixed for free. So for the price you can count on at least two years of usage.

Despite all that, I still think the release of the Pro-Pointer was a major positive for the hobby. Most would probably disagree, but the advent of the effective handheld modulated pinpointer ranks for me as the biggest advance in detecting since I started in the hobby in 2008. Waving dirt in front of the coil, then using the Harbor Freight Centech and Tesoro Treasure Mate...the Pro Pointer was a night and day improvement over those options I had used previously.

As far as additional sensitivity, the AT Carrot definitely has it at sensitivity setting 3 or 4.

The video I saw on the Garrett sub-forum on Finds shows the Pro-Pointer 2 getting about 1 3/8" depth off the tip on a dime which is about the same as the original.

I like the Carrot and understand the practical reason for it being orange. I just wish it wasn't.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/21/2015 03:37AM by marcomo.