Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Water seems to be the new crave...

Posted by Tom41 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Water seems to be the new crave...
October 01, 2015 01:03AM
Well not new to all but I see more and more relic hunter moving in this direction with great finds. Fields were the norm then up into the hills and timber. Now armed with water units folks are pulling some great finds from a untapped area for the most part by many.

This is where my Q comes in for those here that use these types of units. After reading and researching I see that there are many to choose from, just like land units take your pick....but we know some out preform better than others given the area you are hunting.

If you were asked what type of unit would you or are you using to hunt the rivers and streams for relics, what would you say and why? Looking in the 500-1000 range. Looking for sound advice from members

thx

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/01/2015 01:33AM by Tom41.
Re: Water seems to be the new crave...
October 01, 2015 01:40AM
In your price range = no brainer

AT series for streams & rivers relic hunting

be prepared for "leakage" though (buy 2) so when you ship one in for repair you have one to use while waiting for the other to return

not saying 100% for sure they will but many do/have including one of mine that I had
October 01, 2015 01:41AM
In that range for relics get an AT-PRO..Works about anywhere fresh or salt water...

Salt water and relics in that range get an Infinium with 8 inch mono for the lowest conductor's..

Hard to beat a AT-PRO and Infinium combo for water working or even land working for relics..

I always keep them on hand..

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
October 01, 2015 02:51AM
Beau aka AquaChigger is probably the most well known water hunt for relics. Numerous articles in American Digger magazine and a cult like YouTube following. He prefers the AT Gold over the Pro for water hunting.

I would like to do some water hunting but all water areas are illegal in Tennessee.
October 01, 2015 03:34AM
I would love to water hunt in creeks where the civil took place

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
October 01, 2015 12:15PM
For shallow water AT Gold for deeper water CZ21.
October 01, 2015 01:00PM
Daniel as I understand it TVA, WMA ect. are off limits but private property streams and creeks do not fall under that statute. Do not want to get himmed up so send me the info you have so I'm doing the right thing. Thanks for the info.

Daniel Tn Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Beau aka AquaChigger is probably the most well
> known water hunt for relics. Numerous articles in
> American Digger magazine and a cult like YouTube
> following. He prefers the AT Gold over the Pro for
> water hunting.
>
> I would like to do some water hunting but all
> water areas are illegal in Tennessee.
October 01, 2015 01:01PM
Thx guys for the information. Researching the AT Gold now.
October 01, 2015 01:51PM
CZ21, Ezcalibur for saltwater.....Tesoro for fresh water ought to cover it....If buying used be careful lest you buy one that has leaked....may work for a while but especially salt water will shorten its working lifespan ....years ago was great but indeed now lots of waterunits being used and many places worked to death...
October 01, 2015 03:19PM
Tom41 - This got started a few years ago in response to gold prospecting in the streams and rivers. The EPA and Tennessee Department of Conservation got involved when people started complaining about prospectors using dredges and making big holes in the stream beds, then as they explored these complaints, they saw a problem with people using shovels for panning too. You can read some of that here about how it got started:

[www.knoxnews.com]

Since then, the thing evolved and snowballed. Instead of it just imposing restrictions on the gold prospecting streams, it now encompasses the waterways of the whole state for removal of metals or disturbing the stream bottoms. Waterways are not privately owned...they are state property and state regulated, even if on private property. Try buying property with a creek on it and then building near it or cleaning up around it. It is a mess of permits to go through. TDEC doesn't want any type of soil/rock/gravel disturbance to occur in any waterway. What it boils down to is money. The state gets a lot of kickback and revenue from permits for various things and this was one area they weren't getting anything for. At one time they had implemented a $50 recreational permit for it but I haven't been in the loop for this stuff in a couple years.
October 01, 2015 04:58PM
Thx Daniel... Another one of those "how can we squeeze out another dollar from someone " thing for the state it seems. Looks also like any of my water hunting finds will be from out of state reference to CW.
October 01, 2015 04:59PM
The At Gold has a lot of possibilities, get a lot for the price and it tells you a lot after learning the unit. The leaking housing did come up in reading on them.

The Infinium LS coming in at $1062 is not that far out of my 500-1000 range BUT what can it give me more than the AT Gold in actual performance and usability?
October 01, 2015 09:40PM
N/T

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/01/2015 09:41PM by Keith Southern.
October 01, 2015 09:49PM
the AT-GOLD wont run is salt water so keep that in mind.. the AT-PRO will..

Thats why I recommended the PRO.

and to be honsest there's not a whole lot of diiference between the two SEEING wise..

the AT- GOLD has a Prospecting mode.. but if your in the disc mode their more similar than different..

The Infinium will work in extreme mineral if that's the needed case...the type ground where a VLF is calling all iron if it even sees it..

say high iron ore areas...or a salt water environ....the AT-GOLD while hot on gold does not balance to wet salt...the AT-PRO does though at a cost of senstivity to lower condcutor's...the Infinium can slice through wet salt without a care int he workd for the most part and hear low conductors like nickle range and lower where a VLF in same scenario is mostly detuned to those through ground bal..

So While not a neccesary unit to have a Submersible P.I. can have its attributes...

But again if 500.00 is your goal its hard to beat a AT-PRO for a GET R' DUG type unit especially in water proof design's.

remember only 10 feet depth though for waterproof...

infinium can go a couple hundred feet if need be..

Keith

-Nikola Tesla
October 02, 2015 02:24AM
Thx Keith
October 02, 2015 08:13PM
I use a Tesoro Tigershark (the older one with interchangeable coils). It's an excellent fresh water hunter, and very sensitive to small thin gold chains. It's also waterproof down to 200 feet. It's a little heavy if not submerged but you can always hip or chest mount it.
HH
John
October 02, 2015 08:19PM
Thx John for the info.
HH
Tom

DirtyJohn Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I use a Tesoro Tigershark (the older one with
> interchangeable coils). It's an excellent fresh
> water hunter, and very sensitive to small thin