Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Question from Compilation #1

Posted by markg 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Question from Compilation #1
September 16, 2010 04:29PM
"8) Start lowering the coil closer to the ground while continuing to sweep....and verify detector remains audibly stable. If you manage to get the coil all the way down onto the ground while sweeping..... and the detector is audibly stable,,,,, you are home-free!!!!... and have the most powerful relic detector currently on the market. Remember, many relics are very low conductors (in the 'foil' range).

((( IF..... while lowering the coil to the ground as you are sweeping,,,,, and the detector THEN becomes audibly unstable..... you have ground interference ... most probably from high volumes of tiny flakes of rust/iron (a VERY common dirt occurence)..... which then, you must back out of the JE mode ))). "

After a factory reset my settings were:
Ground balance
Sens 80
Disc 6
4H
BP mode.

I seem to have this problem with several places I've hunted with my new LTD. I started out with a sensitivity setting of 80, coil in the air no sound, no EMI, start sweeping the coil over the ground and start hearing what I call false high tones. This caused me to stop and go back over the area, but on the back swing the high tone was gone. I ended up reducing the sens below 50 in order to stop the falsing. This must be some kind of powerful machine Not sure what might be in the ground causing these high tones.

Never had this happen with the original F75.
I guess this is not really a question after all.
More like asking for similar occurrences from other detectorist.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/16/2010 06:13PM by markg.
Re: Question from Compilation #1
September 16, 2010 09:22PM
Try dropping Grnd Bal by 5-10 points......and re-try. You may have to drop the Grnd Bal quite a few points.....and see if this changes your incursion.
September 17, 2010 11:09AM
Will you explain what this kind of adjustment is doing to change the problem I'm having?
Just to have a better understanding of the whole process.
September 17, 2010 11:31AM
Mark,

Flecks/flakes of rust .... and/or iron oxide are notorious for falsing to high tones. Lowering Grnd Bal (usually/normally) changes phase relationship (differential) just enough.....subsequently allowing for better/proper ID of these flakes..............................even if this circumvents a 'proper' ground balance. Robbing Peter to pay Paul.
September 17, 2010 12:06PM
Thanks Tom, that is why I like this site so much and also why I own all of your DVD's too.
Knowledge is power and the edge I'm constantly seeking.
Thanks again.
September 18, 2010 12:26AM
The higher the intelligence..............the higher the finds...................and......the more excitement with the hobby.