Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Has anyone tried these settings on the CTX 3030

Posted by Mccrorysjewelry2 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Has anyone tried these settings on the CTX 3030
October 15, 2015 12:58AM
Has anyone ever tried this setting for coins and silver? Wonder how this would work for hunting deep coins and what other changes would you need to make.

Due to the long hot dry summer turning the ground into concrete, I decided to stick to parks and only hunt surface or shallow decimal coins. February has been a great month for me and with a few days to go I have already found over $740 with every chance of cracking over $800. I believe my success recently is due to some new settings that I am running on the CTX 3030 from Minelab and have had great success since just before Christmas. My best day was while visiting a friend of mine in another capital city and again due to the heat we decided that we would target Goldies all day to see how much we could find, after hitting a honey hole I amassed a crazy $250 plus in a little over 5 hours. Well enough bragging and back to the settings, I run the CTX 3030 with the standard 11” coil in the silver mode, while using the Tone ID profile in combined, Audio Response normal and Fast Recovery on. I believe the key is in to you turn the volume gain down to around 7 or 8 (you will have to experiment a bit) what happens is the deeper the target the quieter it will be. This does two things, firstly it creates less distraction from deep targets making the shallow sounds stand out, secondly the CTX 3030 then has to process less which makes it run a bit faster giving clearer crisper tones. In effect you will be concentrating on only the loudest, clearest and shallowest targets and I normally use audio response long for deep targets but it is a must to change this to normal because this also gives the shallower targets a really crisp signal. I have given this a good test over the last few weeks and found it to be ever so lethal on shallow targets; this in itself has opened up so many possibilities for areas that may have a layer of rubbish targets down deep. I am currently experimenting to see if it is possible to hunt a trashy area layer by layer to see how effective it is but I’ll leave that for another post. Below is a picture showing how I set up my combined pattern and the kHz that my CTX 3030 is set at. IMG_1060

I copied and pasted this from coinrelicdownunder.wordpress.com. Issue Feb 2013. His kHz settings in combined pattern is

330 495 960 1200 80

There was a picture of the screen but when I pasted this it didn't show up.

With the E-TRAC you were able to use the variability to make the silvers and coppers really scream at you but on the CTX 3030 you need to change your Hz within your pattern. Running at 1200 Hz will make the good targets scream like having the variability cranked up on the E-TRAC and the 80 Hz makes the iron grunt out a really low tones. The iron grunting is great for determining if it is haloing or a target, by opening your screen right up (no discrimination) it will soon let you know if it is iron with deep grunts. Try this and if you have any further questions feel free to post a question in the comments and I will answer it, happy hunting and stay positive.
Re: Has anyone tried these settings on the CTX 3030
October 15, 2015 04:06AM
I seperate my Hz as far apart as they will go.......80 low 1200 high..

Yet to get a more Flutey sound you'll need to use multi tone ....

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
October 16, 2015 03:32PM
Keith or someone else, Is there a way to use the settings I posted above but, set it up to hit on deeper coins instead of shallow or both? I want to make the silver coin like targets ring in at a very high tone and the iron a very low grunt. By setting up the CTX this way will it have any effect on the VDI numbers? Thanks
October 16, 2015 05:01PM
Well if you are using combined you can get the low iron, high conductor sound you want. Correct me if I am wrong but seems like you are trying to only get silver to give a high tone. Without a lot of disc.I don't think that you can get exactly what you are after.
As Keith mentioned multi conductive will give you more tone separation between silver and copper type targets but you will have to use a lot of iron disc.or the high tones will drive you mad if there is much iron in the ground. Multi is best used in modern trash and little iron so you can run less disc.

As far as shallow or deep targets no real way to eliminate the shallow and hunt for deep signals only. Best to run a lower gain say around 25 or so and listen for the deeper signals and ignore the loud ones. Everyone likes high gain so they can hear the deeper targets better but in doing so you have to check the depth of every signal which slows you down. Good headphones and a lower gain is what I use.

Well theres my two cents worth.
October 16, 2015 09:17PM
Thank you Keith and Pac man for the info. I don't have a problem with silver and copper having the same high pitch just wanting to get the best separation of sounds to make good targets ring out among-est the trash and iron. Thanks