Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Good News - Bad News

Posted by Bryannagirl 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Good News - Bad News
October 19, 2015 09:44PM
Ok been very focused on Physical Therapy the Last 6 weeks. Good news is I get to start working on walking - which is huge 3 months is a long time to not even put wait on my leg. It is going to be long uphill battle just to get to walking with a cane but Dr and Physical Theripist are confident I will get there.

Now the bad news. - my likely hood of being able to get back in the dirt is not so good and if I can it could be a couple years and some more surgery. My motorcycle riding is also not looking like something I will be able to do - maybe my Sidecar - not sure - more discussion with Doctor will be needed.

But I am ok other then not having much of a knee - but at least I will be moving on two legs. - Yea!

Because I will not be able to use them I am going to sell them - my detectors and bike. Makes no sense to hang on to them if I really can not use them.

So got three detectors so sell. - I Tek T2 with DST upgrade, a MXT Pro with almost every coil known to man or woman, and a Racer with all the coils. Have to figure out best place to list them. Still not very mobile so gathering them up and taking pictures may take a while.

Amazing how a simple decision can have such huge consequences.

Like someone once said That which does not kill me makes me stronger smiling smiley

Bryanna - Nebraska

Current - New to me but not new MXT Pro and T2 SE2 - Previous Minelab Sovereign GT, Minelab Safari, Whites DFX, Whites Eagle Spectrum
Smile its a good for you!
Re: Good News - Bad News
October 19, 2015 09:49PM
Glad to hear you are improving--I am 6 mos post break,5 breaks in lower leg,and am walking--swelling is main problem now--Doc says it may last a year or loooooonger.Good luck.
October 19, 2015 11:49PM
Hi Doc - Yep swelling is issue for me also. Have not been given a number for how long but based on a bad ankle sprain I had years past could be a while. Hope yours gets better soon.

Bryanna - Nebraska

Current - New to me but not new MXT Pro and T2 SE2 - Previous Minelab Sovereign GT, Minelab Safari, Whites DFX, Whites Eagle Spectrum
October 20, 2015 12:43AM
Hate to here it. My dad always said that without your health you have nothing. As I get older I realize how correct he was.

How does your husband feel about your situation? I know that my wife has been very supportive and always suggest that things will get better. I think she really knows that they may not but her attitude really helps mine.?

Best to you.

Dwight
October 20, 2015 02:31AM
Pac man Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hate to here it. My dad always said that without
> your health you have nothing. As I get older I
> realize how correct he was.
>
> How does your husband feel about your situation? I
> know that my wife has been very supportive and
> always suggest that things will get better. I
> think she really knows that they may not but her
> attitude really helps mine.?
>
> Best to you.
>
> Dwight

Thanks for asking. I get nothing but the best of support. I am a very positive person. I am also very pragmatic. I remember when the accident happened and I am laying on the hill side being assisted by EMTs and a Paramedic. I was hurting, and knew I had really messed up my leg/knee, I was also 30ft down a cliff. But some how I managed to not complain, went out of my way to be helpful to those trying to help me. I was also able to joke with them and probably told them thank you more times then I can count. The Paramedic said she had never seen anyone in my situation that was so "Stoic". Now when I got to the hospital and the nurse tried to move my leg and I almost passed out with pain - I was no longer - "Stoic". Sometimes we just have to rise to the moment. Sometimes we can't.

Bryanna - Nebraska

October 20, 2015 03:00AM
Dankowski's disability forum. lol
October 20, 2015 10:20AM
....Doctor Thomas Dankowski frequents this forum, along with many other medical experts......

My main memory of my own broken leg incident was how tiring it was, even though I was reasonably young and fit at the time. You just have to persevere, and gradually things improve. Good luck.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/20/2015 01:33PM by Pimento.
October 20, 2015 12:01PM
Ok in keeping with the forum. - Metal Detecting is often thought to be a very passive activity. - picture some walking down a beach headphones on swinging a detector. A walk in the park. But if you want to learn and find things you have to dig and that is not passive - it takes work and energy. For me the ability to get down and dig is not likely for a long while. But beach detecting may be something I could do way sooner - with the right equipment getting down on the ground may not be necessary - wish I lived by the coast.

P.S. Swinging a detector all day is really not that passive either. - just looks that way to many who are not into the hobby.

Bryanna - Nebraska

October 20, 2015 03:33PM
I had to fight cancer for five years then had a bone marrow transplant. Use to go hunting and throw up a lot but I had to get out if even once a month. After bone marrow transplant no detecting for one year because of the dirt. But have been hunting for three years now was able to get the dues and how cool of a machine is that and now the racer what a great machine. All I looked forward to when fighting cancer was reading the forums and dreaming about hunting. I'm sorry to hear about your health. Knees are vital to detecting but at least you were able to do it. Not sure if you ever posted your finds but I'm sure we would all like to see them. take care

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
October 20, 2015 05:47PM
WOW! Good luck to you. Wonder what you will miss more Detecting or Riding? But being able to get around is more important for sure,But just curious?
October 20, 2015 06:08PM
After my brain stem surgery and dislocated shoulder. I hit the beach with the bandage dress still around my head.
Thought I was ready for it.
Several pain killers in advance, harness, dressed for the North pole and my trusty Excalibur.

Swung for 45 minutes, had a few coins, pain was killing me,... never in my life swung that slow.

Best coins ever!!

On the beach I Use that scoop to keep my balance, strap the detector to your arm and lean on the thing if need be.
Get Tom to rig you up a 8" CZ on a straight shaft. Bullet proof overkill coils.

When hunting a Park or field, I never ever get down on my knees. I fiddled with my digger untill it became a decent walking stick.
No need to go chasing the deep signals in the manicured parks, plenty of other less manicured places to visit.

HUNT

Swap the Ural for an ATV with power steering, only need a thumb and a few fingers. Install a backrest to keep you from slipping around.

RIDE

Get walking again and we'll get you out there again!

HH
Johnb
October 20, 2015 06:35PM
Wow, well if anything this thread makes my FW4K (fat with 4 kids) dilemma seems like a cake walk. Get well soon!
October 20, 2015 06:52PM
detectingMO Wrote:
> Wow, well if anything this thread makes my FW4K
> (fat with 4 kids) dilemma seems like a cake walk.
> Get well soon!

4 Kids,... perpetual state of psychological warfare!

HH
Johnb
October 21, 2015 02:07AM
Best wishes on your road to recovery Bryanna...

Happy holidays as well.
October 21, 2015 02:12PM
scoopjohnb Wrote:
> After my brain stem surgery and dislocated
> shoulder. I hit the beach with the bandage dress
> still around my head.
> Thought I was ready for it.
> Several pain killers in advance, harness, dressed
> for the North pole and my trusty Excalibur.
>
> Swung for 45 minutes, had a few coins, pain was
> killing me,... never in my life swung that slow.
>
> Best coins ever!!
>
> On the beach I Use that scoop to keep my balance,
> strap the detector to your arm and lean on the
> thing if need be.
> Get Tom to rig you up a 8" CZ on a straight shaft.
> Bullet proof overkill coils.
>
> When hunting a Park or field, I never ever get
> down on my knees. I fiddled with my digger untill
> it became a decent walking stick.
> No need to go chasing the deep signals in the
> manicured parks, plenty of other less manicured
> places to visit.
>
> HUNT
>
> Swap the Ural for an ATV with power steering, only
> need a thumb and a few fingers. Install a backrest
> to keep you from slipping around.
>
> RIDE
>
> Get walking again and we'll get you out there
> again!

Thanks - it will be a while but I am patient. - I will still troll the sight to keep the mojo going. And who knows what will be on the market in a few years - RoboDetector and Bionic Knee here we go. I will have to be careful about false reading from my knee down I have enough metall to make a Tinkertoy set.

Bryanna - Nebraska

October 22, 2015 01:14AM
Hang tough Bryanna Best wishes
Corey
October 22, 2015 02:39PM
Thanks everyone for the well wishes - I am ok between my ears - well maybe depends on who you ask. Hope everyone has a great holiday. Keep finding the good stuff. Always like to see what this group finds.

Bryanna - Nebraska