Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Single Tone Will Always Win...

Posted by Will Penny 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Single Tone Will Always Win...
October 30, 2015 10:43PM
[depositphotos.com] old gentleman would run circles around 75% of you...He knows his detector and what it can do..Does not look lazy, 80-90 years old ?, Beep and dig detector, could care less about different tones and keeping up with the Jones...Most of you should take lessons from him and enjoy the hobby, instead of wanting something better than what has been around for the last 20 plus years.....
Re: Single Tone Will Always Win...
October 30, 2015 11:08PM
Yeah, So take that all you, you, you guys! tongue sticking out smiley
October 31, 2015 12:40AM
He go's by the one Machine know it well rule which is a good rule of thumb. I must admit I am at 4 Detectors at the moment,But I have years learning each one even though I had a few of the same model. I'm happy with the 4 I have and doubt I will try any of the new ones as I put to much time into learning the ones I have.
October 31, 2015 01:26AM
I see the old guy is carrying a bag ... probably full of iron nails and pull-tabs from his beep and dig everything policy. I prefer a more intelligent approach.
October 31, 2015 01:38AM
I love two tones one for iron one for all my other targetscool smiley

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
October 31, 2015 04:45AM
Lawrenzo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I love two tones one for iron one for all my other
> targetscool smiley

I agree. I like 2 tones. But I will investigate a low tone if I am in a clean (without alot of iron) area. I was rewarded with a Enfield bullet when I chanced it and dug a low tone signal. But all in all, I just like the 2 tone set up. If a target is shallow, I may look at the numbers or I may dig it. My ears are starting to get used to my Racer. But as far as detectors go.....I am glad that there are more than one kind. Just like there are more than one kind of human being. It's great to have a choice.
October 31, 2015 06:41AM
I like the chick rolling a doober in the backgroundsmoking smiley And the dude is carrying his new racer in the bag,he's just looking for the right place to bury that old dinosaur!

Seriously,I'm WAAAAY better with my IDXPro than I am with my Explorer,at some point I'm hoping I pass that threshold where the Explorer will be more familiar but that'll be a few years...it is nice to have at least two so you have a backup and.....you know the difference in between one you know well and one you may not.
October 31, 2015 11:16AM
Discovering, researching, and trying out a new detector every couple months is one of the things that makes this hobby fun. If you're looking to have the latest and greatest, this hobby will keep you coming back again and again. This is how it is with any electronic gadget. It doesn't take much to go out and metal detect, but if you want to go further, farther, faster, deeper and keep pounding old spots, you're going to want something new. I don't think machines have necessarily improved by leaps in bounds in recent years, but if you wanna come to the spots we're hunting with your Whites from 1986? Ha ha, sure, okay. Go right ahead. You might be sleuthy enough to get that one thing everyone missed, but you're not going to come away with a handful, thats for sure.
October 31, 2015 12:11PM
Absolutely true, case in point. I had the great pleasure to hunt with an older guy "David Linville, deceased" many years ago. He hunted with a single tone machine, not a BFO, I with a top of the line. We were hunting a very old school yard. He was finding good stuff, me, well I won't say. Any way I was digging a lot of bent nails and he had dug none. I was so curious I had to ask why, his reply, "I can tell by the sound". My reply, bull, he let me listen to a few of the targets before he dug. They all sounded the same to me, but his years of experience had trained his ears to the small changes in the audio that I couldn't hear. Any way he was good at finding rings behind me. Mono tone is great in some areas, but I could never mimic how he hunted. I sure miss David.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/31/2015 12:29PM by markg.
October 31, 2015 12:30PM
Ahh he might find better stuff than me but I could simply push him down and he'd break his hip and be frailing around on the ground like a turtle on its back and then I'd take his goodie bag. smiling smiley
October 31, 2015 02:39PM
Honestly we have locals that have used one detector for years and know it well and would give the new fangled units a run for their money however.....
Beep and dig members have their place but having used the Sov and Expl series which are multi-multi tone units they are music to my ears.
Lets face it over the years detectors have become lighter, more ergonomic and better battery consumption along with multi facets to dig or not and well its your call so use what works for you as indeed we are all different in our wants and needs.
October 31, 2015 05:34PM
Daniel Tn it sounds like Halloween is your kind of holiday! eye rolling smiley

Past(or)Tom
Using a Legend, a Deus 2, an Equinox 800, a Tarsacci MDT 8000, & a few others...
with my beloved, fading Corgi, Sadie
October 31, 2015 06:56PM
beastdig Wrote:
> Discovering, researching, and trying out a new
> detector every couple months is one of the things
> that makes this hobby fun. If you're looking to
> have the latest and greatest, this hobby will keep
> you coming back again and again. This is how it
> is with any electronic gadget. It doesn't take
> much to go out and metal detect, but if you want
> to go further, farther, faster, deeper and keep
> pounding old spots, you're going to want something
> new. I don't think machines have necessarily
> improved by leaps in bounds in recent years, but
> if you wanna come to the spots we're hunting with
> your Whites from 1986? Ha ha, sure, okay. Go
> right ahead. You might be sleuthy enough to get
> that one thing everyone missed, but you're not
> going to come away with a handful, thats for sure.

That's just it as you can't truly learn a Detector in a couple months IMHO. It takes at least a year to truly learn a Detector unless you detect everyday for 8 hours. I get a kick out a guys who list all the Detectors they have used and state which one is good or bad after a couple weeks with it.LOL! I have four Detectors and have at least 2 years with each one some a lot more.
October 31, 2015 06:58PM
Single tone may always win but it sure does get boring listening to the same single tone while "winning". I much prefer to be able to just select single tone of the mood strikes me than to have no other option!

Walt,

From the GA-FL line

Silver microMax, CTX 3030, Excal 2, ATPro
October 31, 2015 07:39PM
I have been down the "beep dig" dirt road a time or two. Single tone and set the disc to break up on a small to med nail then dig it all. This is still the way I hunt beaches, tot lots and volleyball courts. No need for a fancy machine to do that. But once I start digging dirt I love discrimination and notch. You can take the most advanced machine and quickly make it a single tone beep dig machine.

Kenny
[www.youtube.com]
October 31, 2015 08:45PM
Old vintage detector you're using in that pic, Will....out for surface finds? no shovel? or you just kicking the sand away? What's in the bag, Batteries?
October 31, 2015 09:29PM
ozzie,
Just a picture I happened to come across and thought to myself, like a old man and his cigar, or an old man and his dog and in this case, an old man and his detector...Probably on a pension of some sort, wife is deceased, few, if any friends, who would bother to help him...Everything he owns is probably in the bag and gets to the beach everyday to find pocket change or sometimes an iten worth $$$$$...A healthy hobby to keep the blood flowing...
October 31, 2015 10:19PM
Will, I met a guy like you described. Went out every day swinging his old Whites for clad so he could eat and live off of. His body would only allow him to swing like a pendulum motion and with baby steps,.....sad site.
October 31, 2015 11:44PM
Daniel Tn Wrote:
> Ahh he might find better stuff than me but I could
> simply push him down and he'd break his hip and be
> frailing around on the ground like a turtle on its
> back and then I'd take his goodie bag. smiling smiley

Damn!!

You make friends much Daniel!? lol
November 01, 2015 02:05AM
I turned into a curmudgeon at an early age smiling smiley I was an only child growing up and am quite content on being by myself...with or without friends, doesn't matter to me one way or the other.
November 08, 2015 04:56PM
Will Penny Wrote:
> [depositphotos.com]-
> man-and-metal-detector.html.......................
> ....This old gentleman would run circles around
> 75% of you...He knows his detector and what it can
> do..Does not look lazy, 80-90 years old ?, Beep
> and dig detector, could care less about different
> tones and keeping up with the Jones...Most of you
> should take lessons from him and enjoy the hobby,
> instead of wanting something better than what has
> been around for the last 20 plus years.....
†********************************************************

What country is he in?
How do you know he has a lot of good finds?
Might be his first time with a"box on a stick".
He might not have clue as to what he's doing,learning/playing around.
I see no text about him little on a story.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/09/2015 02:36PM by supertraq.
November 08, 2015 06:27PM
At digging the most holes in a day lol .
November 09, 2015 10:21AM
I wonder how good he would be if he had a multi tone machine? Machine with ID? Etc?

If you stick with any one thing long enough, you will become really proficient. I know this musically (and with detectors). I miss that E-Trac as I knew it's language, really well. Not the same with my Signum but she goes deeper and saves the back.

I think in the end though, it is really about having fun. If I can dig more coins than anyone else but don't love that machine, I just wonder if I would want to stick with it?
Not saying he doesn't have fun, but the results are not the thing, it is the journey (and perhaps his journey is just what he wants - just saying it is relative.)

Albert
November 09, 2015 02:09PM
I'm betting the Ole Guy doesn't care Whut any of you young whippersnappers tinks. And he may be packin' a 357 to deal with unrulies.